Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 371Posts
    • 1,525Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of £116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 3
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 3rd Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks, pinkypig! I'm definitely on a roll.....about time, though!!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22
    Money for Nothing pot = £392.99
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 48,560 Posts
    • 178,866 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are on a roll.
    No surprises there then
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    So.... it's Monday again. I've packed breakfast and lunch and.can make dinner from storecupboard/freezer goodies. Am thinking some sort of Morroccan chicken thing as I have chickpeas and dried apricots in abundance.

I've brought in a utility bill to enable me to go to the building society and open an old fashioned passbook savings account. The interest is not the best on offer but I find online accounts to easy to raid sometimes! Plus, the branch is next door to the little Mr Ts that I use for top up shops at lunchtime so am hoping it will act as a subliminal deterrent to spend extra in there as I have to walk past it and could deposit a couple of ££ instead. So, opening that account is my MFW job for today and trying for another NSD.

Have a good one, and for anyone back at school today with either work or children, good luck!!

Current balance £115,428.65. Offset £1,775.31. £113,653.34 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 4th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 9,515 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Trying to work out if I followed the previous you!
    Ouch re the hip! Will subscribe!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53
    Credit card debt: £3,346.29 over three credit cards.
    MFW (01/15) £118,031.21 £95,324.07
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I'm now the proud owner of a cash ISA with an old fashioned passbook!! It has a whole £10 in it....but it's a start!! This is just for the odds and ends that would ordinarily just get eaten up in everyday spending but will now become a home to things like my council tax on Feb and march. Nothing exciting but it's part of the plan!

I do also have a regular saving investment account that I pay £100 a month into and plan on increasing that in due course, but not until summer next year.

I've made a start on some really detailed savings and overpayment projections and targets for the full 5 year period. All I need to do is to implement them!! The more I look at them, though, the more I want to achieve!! I am my own worst enemy sometimes and need to remember that MFW burnout is not what I'm after!!

• squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 4th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    I'm sure you won't 'burn out'....five years is only sixty months....it goes really quickly!!

I must admit that I get far too excited and seem to think of nothing else when I first decide to do something.....that's why I'm going to make sure I come on the boards every day to help keep the motivation. It is exciting though....the thought of having no mortgage and still being young enough to enjoy it is outstanding

Love the idea of a passbook account - wouldn't be any good for me as my nearest bank is miles away but I do agree that online banking makes it far too easy to access....although I'm grateful for the ability to do tillytidies!!
    MFW £3510.00/£22968.96: October GC £30/£300
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Oh I will still have the online accounts too for some things...sweeping small amounts over is definitely an advantage and I will continue to do that, but I'm hoping that going a bit retro with a passbook will also help. Time will tell!!

As for burnout, squirrel, you've clearly never seen me in action

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 48,560 Posts
    • 178,866 Thanks
    beanielou
    Be frightened squirell~~when new but not new is on a mission she is indeed on a mission & is a legend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 4th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    maia_evo
    I love the passbook idea too. Online accounts have always been too easy for me to access
    Take care of the here and now and the future will be taken care of.
    MFW 2017 £6000 (currently £5201) | Product Sales Target 10 (currently 2) | Tesco CC £5116.50 - £0
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 6:57 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hardly a legend beanie, but thank you!!

I've only ever been as good as those around me and people like you have stuck with me for over 10 years...... you're the real legends xx

• catshark88
    • By catshark88 4th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 6,333 Thanks
    catshark88
    If she's who I think she might be, she's deffo a legend!

Welcome back to MSE!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thank you. It's all a bit surreal tbh. But I'm very glad to be back!!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 4th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Morroccan chicken thing was lovely.....and two portions made it to the freezer for lunches next week.

Today has also been declared a NSD. That's 3/4 for September so far. A good start!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 48,560 Posts
    • 178,866 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thank you. It's all a bit surreal tbh. But I'm very glad to be back!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    We are glad to have you back

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks beanie

So, another day begins on the MSE train. I need milk today so it won't be an NSD but I'll try and resist getting more than that. Dinner is a use-it-up affair.....I've got some bits of veg and some chorizo so think it will be some sort of autumnal smoky tray bake with mozzarella on top and crust bread. I've also got fruit to use up so may experiment with some sort of rhubarb and berry compote to go with Greek yogurt

Other than that, just more work on my budgets and projections I think. September is a really tight month so it's proving to be good training

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 5th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 10,260 Posts
    • 26,316 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Free watermelon water on Shopmium (Sainsburys or Waitrose)
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £4150 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £582 / £1800
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    So....a productive day methinks.

I have an old hfx reward account that I don't use enough to get the rewards. So I've shifted two of my dd's to it and will shift money around on payday to get my £3 a month from it.

Then I opened a new TSB account and have shifted some dd's there too, to get £5 rewards from them.

For a bit of current account shuffling on payday, I get £8 for free which (assuming rates don't change) is £96 a year or almost £500 over the 5 years of this challenge of mine. That'll be handy spending money on our freedom fund!

Spent £1 on milk but nothing else today so I'm happy with that.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks benben. I shall go on the hunt. I signed DD up to it too... she's just got her first flat, on her own, so every little helps there too!!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Sep 17, 6:51 PM
    • 48,560 Posts
    • 178,866 Thanks
    beanielou
    Productive day

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Sep 17, 2:48 PM
    • 28,077 Posts
    • 154,407 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have you discovered Shopmium yet? I remember when I found it thinking "ooh, H**** would like have likes this back in the day" Let me know if you want a referral code, useful for storing treats up for ds/dd
    Originally posted by benbenandme
    Skiing is still very much part of life. DD has spent the last 3 winters working in Switzerland and DS still races. All my previous efforts were not in vain. And OH, who had never skied before we met, has become addicted too.

Now, if only I didn't have a fractured hip, lol!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Omigod ... I'm catching up on new threads (still dreadful at it) while I'm catsitting, and on the first page of this one I thought, that sounds like ... no, it can't be ... and then I read these ..

Better Than! Beloved Exemplar Of All Things MSE!

Good grief.

I apologise to everyone who's come onto mse in the past 5 years or so, this must be extremely discombobulating to get this string of people saying "omigod it's you", but.... Omigod, it's you!

Subscribing instantly

Save
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin