Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 403Posts
    • 2,174Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of £116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 20
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 2nd Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I confess to not having tried the camera....but I will donate and report back!!

As for my energy levels.....well, I have just woken up after falling asleep on the sofa. 'nuff said!!!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • taka
    • By taka 3rd Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 16,410 Thanks
    taka
    If you are who I think you are... Yippee! You are back!!

I must investigate swagbucks etc. You are doing such a good job of magicing money from nowhere it is putting me to shame. My boring, sitting on a bus for ages, commute needs to start paying for itself! There is free wifi so I have no excuse!
    MFiT-4 no 30

You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 3rd Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Haha, taka. It's good to be back, I have to say! And fab to see so many familiar names cropping up too!!

The bus journey is ideal for surveys.... otherwise, it is just wasted time! WiFi doesn't always work well enough on it so getting thrown out part way through is always a danger, but there really is nothing to lose!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 3rd Dec 17, 12:44 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Glad to see you back. I lurked on your other threads for years with a rare post. I am also using another user name now simply because I forgot my log in details so had to start again. Do you hear from P...ia and if so how is she?
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 3rd Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Hello! Yes, I do hear from P. . we actually went on holiday together earlier this year. She's doing ok.....has just committed to buying a house herself so I'm trying to lure her onto MFW!!

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 3rd Dec 17, 6:43 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    It would be nice to see her posting again. She had some rough times.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,246 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What fun to see all the names!

And I completely understand falling asleep on the sofa revving at 1,000 rpm all day every day isn't quite possible
    Retired August 2016
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 3,739 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    I’m sooooooo pleased I’ve found you, thanks eager ����
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Dec 17, 5:19 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Yay for seeing so many familiar people, one way or another. I really do feel like I have come home and am very glad I made the move back. Thank you for all your inspiration along the way..... remember, I only do well on this journey because I have good people to accompany me!

So.... yesterday I did some Christmas shopping using Amazon vouchers I had earned online, so that was good. Also, shopmium are doing me well at the moment and I should have £10 coming back from them today. Another £5 from swagbucks was ordered yesterday and I hope to be able to order another one today.

And the first big piece of my "big stuff going on in the background" jigsaw has been put into place. It may just involve DH and I reserving a new house.....the one we live in now is mine and this one will be ours. It will involve a bit of an increase in the mortgage but those figures will be worked through over the next few days. Nothing too scary and still very overpayable. The initial deposit has been paid and I will be working on things this week re new borrowings and legal stuff. Happy Christmas to us

It won't be ready until September at the earliest so still loads of time for me to earn more free money to help buy the extras we will no doubt want.

:

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Dec 17, 8:56 AM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,246 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, Happy Christmas to you indeed! How lovely! Wonderful that you can find an "ours" place that you like, rather than a house you already had. What will it do to your commute, still an acceptable one?
    Retired August 2016
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    That’s fabulous news.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,962 Thanks
    beanielou
    Excellent news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks guys - early days yet, (hence nothing on the book of faces) but very exciting all the same!

Still commuting distance - still in a village about 6 miles out, just a different village to the one we are in at the moment. It's a new build so will be all shiny!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 6th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    So, middle of the week again....looking forward to the weekend already!

I ordered another £5 from SB yesterday, and am inching towards my next one on there and another on InstaGC, so hopefully another few ££ in the spending pot by the weekend. A TCB payment I've been waiting for finally shows as confirmed so hoping to get that released in the next few days too - its only £9 but it has been pending for what seems like ever, and £9 in my account is better than £9 in theirs!

I'm planning on having a bit of a cashback splurge in the next few weeks to see what offers I can make the most of. My house insurance and travel insurance are both up for renewal at the same time so I can combine those essentials with a bit of cashback raiding!

Initial mortgage figures have been done - an agreement in principle issued, so we're doing the next stage of paperwork at the weekend. A quote for the legal side of things has been obtained and the whole housebuying budget is coming together. Exciting times - this one truly is our "forever home".

Happy hump day everyone.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,962 Thanks
    beanielou
    Did I mention how chuffed I am for you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 6th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I know, beanie - thank you x

It's been a long haul, as you know but it really has all worked out alright so far.

Oh, and today marks my 11th anniversary of joining MSE under the old name! My current signature may still indicate I'm a newbie, but I've been here a bloomin' long time one way or another.

That means, I've known lots of you "virtually" for ever! And I've been lucky enough to meet some of you in real life too. Hurrah for MSE!!!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,962 Thanks
    beanielou
    I second that.
    Hurrah for MSE & for all the lovely people I have met be it on here or in RL too.

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Dec 17, 9:09 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 6,450 Thanks
    pinkypig
    How exciting. A together home is important . the very best of luck today you both xx
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 7th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks PP....I'm very excited and can't wait for it all to take shape.

Another £5 requested from SB last night.....another Amazon voucher to help with the extras that I would like in the new house but can't necessarily justify buying unless it is with free money!!!

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 28,180 Posts
    • 155,246 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh, and today marks my 11th anniversary of joining MSE under the old name! My current signature may still indicate I'm a newbie, but I've been here a bloomin' long time one way or another.

That means, I've known lots of you "virtually" for ever! And I've been lucky enough to meet some of you in real life too. Hurrah for MSE!!!
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Oh wow! Congratulations! I joined the month before you, but didn't post for quite a while ... I think you hit the ground running

Hurrah for mse indeed
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

973Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin