Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 407Posts
    • 2,202Thanks
    Betterthanever
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5!
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    New but not new - Year 1 of 5! 1st Sep 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi! I'm a re-joining member of old.....and whilst I'm reluctant to give up my previous 10,000 post count, I also don't fancy ex husband following my every move as I go into this next exciting chapter of life! I was a DFW stalwart for years, but am pleased to announce am on the MFW journey....with vigour

I've not been on the boards for a while but it's lovely to see some familiar names and it's comforting having made the decision to come back!

I'm mid 40s, kids are grown up and more or less independent (one just moved out and one still creating mess at home). I'm lucky enough to have met a fabulous man who was mad enough to marry me a couple of years ago, and life is just the best.

The house is mine as I bought ex-h out in the divorce, which means the mortgage is also mine. We have plans and desires to start reducing our working stresses in 5 years time and oh can start drawing his lump sum and his pension then if he wishes. As we both lost out dads at 55, we are mindful of the fact we are not here forever. On the other hand we are fit and healthy so would hope to have a good few years to enjoy life ahead of us.

We love to spend time together and travel and want to do more of this without being tied into 5 weeks annual leave allowance!

So....all this starts with the fact my fixed rate comes to an end soon. I can switch on 31st October. The remaining term should be 11 years but I've done my calculations and reckon if I take a 5 year fixed rate, I can finish it off when that comes to an end....taking me to 52 and OH to 56 so still plenty of years ahead of us for living!

My starting point is a current mortgage figure of £116,879.11. It's no small challenge but I'm no stranger to that and I'm going to enjoy this one an awful lot

I feel like I've come home.....
    Last edited by Betterthanever; 03-11-2017 at 8:45 AM.
Page 12
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,310 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah to no crutches
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thank you. I don't think I'll be running another marathon anytime soon, pp.....I managed a bit of work in the gym this evening, but upper body work only still.

It's all good thought I just need to keep patient!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 28,190 Posts
    • 155,345 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Patient .... sorry

I need to buy a contract free phone to faff about with sb again - I did it one time, and I was very aware of how many offers I was missing out on.

I have a really, really stupid question though (bearing in mind that smartphones have really passed me by ) - when I go online with the data allowance of my smartphone, how do I know when I've gone offline, so I don't go over the data allowance? Do I click something or just close down the browser?
    Retired August 2016
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 12th Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    On mine, there is an icon on "settings" for me to put mobile data on and off. I only have a limited amount of data, though, so try and connect over wifi instead which is, essentially, free, and there is no chance of going over your limit.

and yes, patient.....I keep saying it over and over again to try and get used to the idea. I'm hoping the concept will sink in soon!

In money making stuff today, £11.10 hit my money-for-nothing account from Z!ff!t today. Also went to a seminar for which I will get more in milage allowance than it cost me to attend so that will help boost the coffers by a few ££ too in due course.

Other than that, nothing to report....hoping for a NSD today - am doing ok so far.

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    And it's Friday again - another week closer to being MF. (and a day closer to the weekend, much needed!!).

Another £5 hit my account from SB last night just before I went to bed so that was nice to see. I got a survey done on the bus on the way into work this morning but I don't think I will be able to get up to the next payout today. Something to work on over the weekend, though.

DH has been off work this week and decorating the spare room. As a result the whole house looks temporarily like the proverbial bomb has hit it, so I need to get on top of that over the weekend. I will try and use it as an opportunity to dig out some more z!ff!t items and maybe even dip my toe back into eb@y after a very long break.....we shall see!

I had a NSD yesterday. Today won't be - DH has been put on the FODMAP diet for 6 weeks following a virus so I need to rethink my food plan for the week and we can't make use of all those tins of chickpeas and beans that I have! They will have to be bulk cooked into lunches for me that can go in the freezer so it won't go to waste, it just means I need to thinking again about main meals and his breakfasts for a while. No big deal just a bit spendy.

Happy Friday everyone

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 28,190 Posts
    • 155,345 Thanks
    Karmacat
    On mine, there is an icon on "settings" for me to put mobile data on and off. I only have a limited amount of data, though, so try and connect over wifi instead which is, essentially, free, and there is no chance of going over your limit..
    Originally posted by Betterthanever
    Thanks for that - there's a button like that buried deep in my Settings panel, but thinking about it there's also a way to put apps on the home screen ... quick is good!

I also found out yesterday where my sister bought her unlocked Samsun Mini so I'm nearly ready to roll on this

Hope you both get some downtime over the weekend - between you leaving your crutches behind, and DH's virus, sounds like you need it.

Happy Friday
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,310 Thanks
    beanielou
    HAPPY FRiday

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 13th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Happy Friday indeed - a free £1 given to me by the b!ngo site was played on one solitary game.....and £18 of winnings was swiftly requested as a withdrawal! I'm not daft enough to be tempted to play it through, as the money is much better in my account than back in their coffers. Hopefully it will arrive in the bank early next week. A nice little bonus there!

And for all my saying that I wouldn't get close to payout on SB again, I've had a couple of decent surveys that I managed to bag at lunchtime so may be able to request another £5 this evening after all.

And its almost the weekend. Can't be much better than that!

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Oct 17, 9:52 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Enjoy your weekend
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 15th Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    A fairly quiet weekend. Football yesterday but I didn't go to the pub after so no real spends there. DD was home for the weekend so we had some good quality time. DS was skiing yesterday but was off work today so we had a rare Sunday lunch for all 4 of us, which was nice. DH has gone to a conference now so after I dropped him at the station I went to aldi and tesco. It was, I am ashamed to say, only the first time I had been to Aldi. I was quite impressed with some of the stuff so will definitely use it again. It doesn't have enough "free from" stuff to allow me to do all my shopping there, but it will help the budget stretch a bit further for some areas of the shopping.

Meals have been prepped for lunches for the week and I'm now collapsed on the sofa where I have control of the remote!!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,310 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you have had a nice weekend.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 16th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Morning all, Monday again. 2 more weeks until I can get the remortgage arranged.....

It's a very busy week, workwise, but I've got lunches prepped and a meal plan for dinners written, so hopefully that will help ease the stresses from elsewhere.

MSE type things to look at this week -

- get another box of books and stuff ready to send to Ziffit
    - look at options for selling a gold wedding ring (not mine, but one I have no emotional attachment to, so one I can happily let go).
    - look at requirements for local "cash for clothes" place to see if that is a viable alternative to eb@y and the charity shop for some less smart stuff.

- and generally continue to work at the clicks and surveys and try and add a few more ££ into the money-for-nothing pot.

Have a good week everyone!

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    pinkypig
    [QUOTE=Betterthanever;73266396]. It was, I am ashamed to say, only the first time I had been to Aldi. I was quite impressed

Did you buy face cream?
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 16th Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I didn't, but I did check it out and when I've properly run out of my usual stuff I shall be right there!

I've had £18 from the b!ngo win plus £5 from sw@gbucks hit my account today. Another £5 has been requested and I've done my various available surveys while DH is at work. I also sold the ring at a local gold dealer so am very pleased to have done that for several reasons.

All in all, a reasonable day. DH's train is delayed because of the storm but as long as he is home safe all will be well.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 17, 3:54 AM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,310 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope DH got home safe and sound.

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 17th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Thanks, beanie. He was very delayed but got home eventually, after several unscheduled detours and train changes. We were eating our dinner at gone midnight so this morning I am a bit tired, and have a very long day at work with a client event on this evening that I also have to attend. A coffee kinda day today!

Yesterday was a NSD and I was lucky enough to get a lift into work with a neighbour today so the bus fare saving will go into the pot too. I caught a decent prolific survey first thing so that was a good start to the day. It all helps me on my mission!!

Have a good one!

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 28,190 Posts
    • 155,345 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm glad DH got home okay yesterday - I was travelling to London on a day trip, but the trains were fine in this direction.

In mse news - I've decided which unlocked Samsung Galaxy I'm going to get, so after all my dental work is finished, I'll be raring to go I'll check your referral code is still valid - I did have an sb account, but never with a mobile, and I closed it anyway. We'll see.

Hope the coffee tastes good today
    Retired August 2016
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 17th Oct 17, 10:50 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    I love sb, so my referral code will definitely still be valid!

The coffee is tasting necessary rather than good today......that says all it needs to say, really!!

Onwards!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,310 Thanks
    beanielou
    Onwards indeed

• Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 17th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 2,202 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Well, I knew it was too much to hope rates would stay rock bottom - the rate I have had my eye on has increased slightly.....from 1.99% for 5 years to 2.09%. Not the end of the world and still a fair bit lower than my current fixed rate......but I would have preferred for them to have waited just a couple more weeks!!!!

Oh well, at least I can stop fretting about it - it is less likely to increase again before the end of the month I guess!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,297Posts Today

5,301Users online

Martin's Twitter