Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • margi g
    • By margi g 1st Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 3Thanks
    margi g
    is it a good time to sell?
    • 1st Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    is it a good time to sell? 1st Sep 17 at 11:45 AM
    I want to put my house on the market,but the empty house next door to me is also due to go on the market in the next two weeks .
    The neighbouring house is nothing like mine.It has been empty for 17 years and is in a pretty bad state.My question is should I wait until this next door house is sold and hope someone does something to it before I put my house on the market,or should i go up in competition with it. I should say they are two completely different houses and probably wouldn't attract the same buyers anyway
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Margi G - Crashy constantly posts negative stuff on this forum. He is bitter because he made some bad choices with housing. You should heavily discount anything he posts.

I'd just put the house on the market now. The housing market is slow in terms of buyers and sellers at the moment. FTB are likely to want something they can just move in to rather than having to spend £20K to get it up to standard. It's lack of deposit rather that's the problem rather than mortgage affordability.
    Originally posted by kinger101

Nothing to do with house prices then?
    • MrSnuggl3s
    • By MrSnuggl3s 4th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MrSnuggl3s
    Are you saying that they are completely different houses - as in, detached?

If it's detached i think you wouldn't have to worry about the price as much. You say they're completely different so I think you have an advantage there. At least it isn't a dead version of your place.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 5th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Are you saying that they are completely different houses - as in, detached?

If it's detached i think you wouldn't have to worry about the price as much. You say they're completely different so I think you have an advantage there. At least it isn't a dead version of your place.
    Originally posted by MrSnuggl3s

Still not great for viewers to see a wreck of a house next door though, sets the wrong tone IMO.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    phillw
    Who keeps a house empty for 17 years, and why? I`m sure Mr. Corbyn will have a policy or two to sort out this type of thing!
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    It could be someone in a care home.
    It could be that the property has been inherited by a group of people (or left in a trust with trustees) who refuse to talk to each other.

I doubt Jeremy will come up with anything that could be implemented (and I voted Labour...).

They can already apply for an EDMO. http://emptyhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/edmoguide1.pdf
    Last edited by phillw; 05-09-2017 at 3:23 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 6th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    It could be someone in a care home.
    It could be that the property has been inherited by a group of people (or left in a trust with trustees) who refuse to talk to each other.

I doubt Jeremy will come up with anything that could be implemented (and I voted Labour...).

They can already apply for an EDMO. http://emptyhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/edmoguide1.pdf
    Originally posted by phillw

I was being half serious, I don`t think he has much to offer that is realistic, but I think a lot of people may vote for him (the young) because they don`t really know any better.
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 6th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    movilogo
    If houses don't sell frequently on your road and your next door sells for a below market value, Zoopla will reduce the average price of the whole street
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    hazyjo
    If houses don't sell frequently on your road and your next door sells for a below market value, Zoopla will reduce the average price of the whole street
    Originally posted by movilogo
    I don't take a blind bit of notice of Zoopla 'valuations'. Utterly pointless as they cannot be relied on. Undervalued one by around £100k and overvalued my last one by around £150k.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th Sep 17, 1:32 AM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Originally posted by movilogo

Nice......
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 7th Sep 17, 8:21 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    If you're lived next to this place that has been declining for the last 17 years, and you are moving in part because of the state of it, yet you know that it is about to go on the market, why don't you wait a while and see if the new owners improve things (they can hardly make things worse...). Seems a shame to move now just as things are potentially taking a turn for the better.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    If you're lived next to this place that has been declining for the last 17 years, and you are moving in part because of the state of it, yet you know that it is about to go on the market, why don't you wait a while and see if the new owners improve things (they can hardly make things worse...). Seems a shame to move now just as things are potentially taking a turn for the better.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse

If he waits he might not get as good a price, if he is honest about why he wants to move (it will be obvious probably) he might not get as good a price? Catch 22 really....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter