Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 1st Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 176Posts
    • 185Thanks
    Lingua
    Returning faulty item without original box
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    Returning faulty item without original box 1st Sep 17 at 10:24 AM
    Hi all,
    Quick backstory:
    My auntie purchased a mobile phone from ASDA three months ago. It has recently started proving temperamental, activating the 3G without permission (taking all her credit with it), and freezing when trying to reset it to factory settings.

Issue:
    Yesterday, we attempted to return the phone to the local ASDA supermarket, only to be told by customer services that it must be in its original box, with the charger, documentation, and ASDA SIM card! As an aside, quite why they wanted a pay-as-you-go sim card (purchased separately) is beyond me.

I rang the ASDA customer services number to query the need for a box, as I had already looked up consumer rights for returns and found the following MSE article, which states:

"It must still have the tags on it." This is false if it’s faulty. If it’s not, you’re subject to the store’s rules again. The same applies if they tell you it needs to be in the original box, and if they refuse returns on goods bought with a credit note.

The call operator and then their manager confirmed that ASDA would require the original packaging, despite several attempts to clearly point out that this is not indicated in the Sales of Goods Act, and that faulty goods are not the same as goods returned under their voluntary returns policy. They argued that the box was necessary to match the IMEI number from the phone and ensure it is the same handset.

Thankfully, my auntie was able to find the box after a thorough search of her house, and on a positive note in ASDA's favour, returned the phone in the end without issue. I can already hear some MSErs sarcastically asking "why are you bothering with this thread then", to which I would politely say that I would like to be better informed by wizened MSE members as to whether I was correct in stating that a box is not necessary for a phone return. I have never come across specific information stating they are any different from any other consumer good.

So, to conclude my rambling:
    1) am I right that the original box is not necessary
    2) should they have taken the SIM?
    3) are mobile phones any different in their returns due to the need for an IMEI number?
    4) thank you in advance!

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
Page 2
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18,430 Posts
    • 14,142 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Don't buy such foods from Asda seems to be the way to avoid this nonsense
    Originally posted by tommy45
    Did you read anything other than the word ASDA in the whole thread?
    • mikb
    • By mikb 13th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    mikb
    It's clearly a typo and should say "Don't buy such goofs from ASDA".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,350Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin