Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • x.sophie.x
    • By x.sophie.x 1st Sep 17, 1:59 AM
    • 269Posts
    • 249Thanks
    x.sophie.x
    Advice - ex-SIL had a baby - unsure of paternity
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:59 AM
    Advice - ex-SIL had a baby - unsure of paternity 1st Sep 17 at 1:59 AM
    To cut a very very long story short, my now ex sister-in-law got married to my BIL October 2016. He found out she was cheating on him in June this year. This was going on from the month before they got married. The BIL and ex-SIL were still sleeping together throughout, but not often.

She gave birth at the end of Aug. So she would have got pregnant in Nov 2016- within the a few weeks/ 1 month after their wedding. She proclaims the baby is the new fellas. We don't know who the father of the baby is. I don't think the new guy has a clue she was married. He and his family are over the moon about the new addition to their family and are all over social media. My BIL decided not to say anything about her cheating, so she's effectively got away with it so far.

My question is - until paternity is established (my BIL is asking for a paternity test) will she be able to register the baby as the new fellas child? Is there anything that says she can't do this as she is married? I will assume she will take the new guy to register the baby. She probably will lie about her marital status when registering the baby to cover her tracks - unless she's made up some lie to the new guy.

Really don't want the baby to be BILs (this girl is a piece of work) but the baby looks like it could be his.

All thoughts welcome!
    Last edited by x.sophie.x; 01-09-2017 at 2:28 AM.
Page 3
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 5th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 28,519 Posts
    • 72,655 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I've heard of a case where the woman brought another baby along to the GPs for the test so that the result would show he wasn't the father.

If she's determined to make the new man believe he's the father, that's something to watch for.
    • shiny76
    • By shiny76 6th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    shiny76
    I've heard of a case where the woman brought another baby along to the GPs for the test so that the result would show he wasn't the father.

If she's determined to make the new man believe he's the father, that's something to watch for.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    You'd hope that the husband attended (was able to attend) the same appointment for DNA sampling.

When I went through the process the mother, baby and myself all went together.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 28,519 Posts
    • 72,655 Thanks
    Mojisola
    You'd hope that the husband attended (was able to attend) the same appointment for DNA sampling.

When I went through the process the mother, baby and myself all went together.
    Originally posted by shiny76
    The break-up had been bad (because she wanted to 'move on with her life' with the new man) and she wouldn't allow him anywhere near the baby.

The tests were done separately.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 12,476 Posts
    • 10,461 Thanks
    zagfles
    4. She goes from man to man throughout the child's life - giving the child a string of 'fathers'.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Or how about
    5. The BIL contests custody and he brings the child up (assuming DNA shows him to be the father).

Not guaranteed to succeed if contested as family courts do still tend to be very sexist, but an option nonetheless.
    • rpc
    • By rpc 6th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,298 Posts
    • 3,492 Thanks
    rpc
    Unless there are possible inherited problems then it may well be best for the child to let sleeping dogs lie. The child is most important here, it did not ask to be put in this situation. If she comes back to the BIL how long will it be before that child hears something, will the whole family be able to keep quiet for the rest of time even if the child does turn out to be the BILs.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    And if this is all dealt with now, before the child is at all aware, that will be a lot better than leaving it be and risking serious emotional distress down the line if the child finds out accidentally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter