Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 23,441Posts
    • 153,319Thanks
    Aesop
    ~Make upto £10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    ~Make upto £10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome 31st Aug 17 at 10:30 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

Happy anniversary Batgirl, your original forum thread is now 10 years old Same age as my DS this year.

This is the 121st month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make £10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of £1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to £5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for £10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:

Wages from your main job

What can be added:

Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:

Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX, MusicMagpie, and a few more too

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything. (You will be suprised at what sells!)

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

Join cashback sites like Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Mobile phone to recycle? Try http://mobilevaluer.com/ but also check other selling sites like ebay, Facebook selling, gumtree, etc.

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make £300 (or any amount of course!).
    lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it.

She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff. Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Last edited by Aesop; 30-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Make £10 a day September 2017 £81.68.
    August 2017 £390.47
Page 21
    • shariann
    • By shariann 11th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    shariann
    Having a frustrating day trying to sort out a problem with some Postal Orders. It's small fry compared to some of the worrying issues that a lot of you face but it might involve my losing some money that I'm very annoyed to have to do

On the rear of the Postal Orders (in barely readable faint print) it says they are valid for 6 months from date of issue. Does anyone know if this mean 6 x 28 days or 6 calendar months please. Even if it was the shorter period I was a few days within the time limit but now the bank has returned them to me (2nd class and took 8 days from the date they should have received them from me) the time for cashing has just expired.

I've been on the Post Office website which is pretty useless. Why do they make life so difficult? There's no contact phone number, only a form to fill in and send online. I know from past experience of trying to find out anything from them that it can take up to 5 days.

Sorry to rant, I'm having a bad day in general and this is the last straw. It doesn't take much does it to send me into meltdown?
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Rant away CBC How frustrating for you. Hope you get it sorted
    £10 a day November - £177.83£300
    2014 £110.92
    2015 £3732.30
    2016 £1633.66
    January £208.92 February £87.28 March £178.64 April £112.76 May £213.63 June £317.93 July £359.85 August £449.15 September £120.15 October £353.42
    • shariann
    • By shariann 11th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    shariann
    Wow I forgot how fast moving these threads are!
    Thanks all, when this thread started things were really quite desperate and I know some of you will be there now but I am living proof you can kick debts butt and change your whole life with small changes. Looking back now (please don't hate me or think I am crazy) in a strange way I am pleased we got in a mess because we have learnt so much and can now make our money stretch so far so we do some amazing things just because we are savvy. If we hadn't have been desperate we wouldn't have learnt how to make money from anything. #everycloud!
    Originally posted by Batgirl
    I certainly know where you're coming from and I'm sure plenty of others on this thread will too.
    2014 £110.92
    2015 £3732.30
    2016 £1633.66
    January £208.92 February £87.28 March £178.64 April £112.76 May £213.63 June £317.93 July £359.85 August £449.15 September £120.15 October £353.42
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    Sorry to hear that cbc.

Can you contact whoever sent you the postal orders and ask them to send you new ones? I think they can take the originals back and show not cashed and get new ones issued.

Typical bank probably passed it around a bit before requesting money from royal mail so made the postal orders invalid. I think it is 6 months.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    PayPal have limited my account so I can't withdraw anything from it.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • shariann
    • By shariann 11th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    shariann
    PayPal have limited my account so I can't withdraw anything from it.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Oh no. Do you know why?
    2014 £110.92
    2015 £3732.30
    2016 £1633.66
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    Oh no. Do you know why?
    Originally posted by shariann
    people on the phone couldnt tell me and have referred it to the Back Office. reading reviews about it, it doesnt look good. Luckily I only had £1.48 in there. some said because they made too many withdrawals their accounts got closed. paypal, its our money. you should not have a monopoly on something like this.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    Swagbucks
    There is a new swago board today

http://www.swagbucks.com/swago

and the swagcode entered on a pc or laptop will tick off one of the squares - SwagoIceCream it must be entered in the swagbutton, which is installed on your toolbar. not the swagbucks home page enter a code bit.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    carbootcrazy, I found this online

you send your expired postal order to them and explain what happened. each case is reviewed individually and replied to, send it to

Postal Order Admin Team, 2nd floor, 1 Future Walk, Chesterfield S49 1PF. Royal Mail suggests they are sent by special delivery and warns that each claim is considered separately.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2124968/The-Post-Office-refused-pay-date-postal-orders-help.html#ixzz4sOPZ9oTo
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    ok need to keep a running total again

£1 just claimed on instagc
    £20 swagbucks
    £10 survey referral.

I need my paypal account otherwise I am stuffed. a lot of my survey sites only pay to paypal

thank god prolific started using circle. now to get ebay on board with using circle
    August 2017 £390.47
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 11th Sep 17, 7:12 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    QueenJess
    £10 survey referral.

I need my paypal account otherwise I am stuffed. a lot of my survey sites only pay to paypal

thank god prolific started using circle. now to get ebay on board with using circle
    I've always been a bit confused as to why Paypal has a monopoly on a lot of things online considering that there are other companies that offer similar services and Paypal can be expensive. I would have thought some competition would do them good.
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: November £172.43/£300
    (Oct £605.53, Sep £434.99, Aug £442.32, Jul £446.51)
    • tryingtoavoiddebt
    • By tryingtoavoiddebt 11th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    tryingtoavoiddebt
    That's terrible Aesop. I've been saving my my money in my paypal so I don't spend it but I'm off to withdraw it! Don't want to take any chances! I never really thought of them being able to block accounts and the like.

£10 Amazon vouchers from swagbucks to add and £2.83 from Qmee. Sold a couple of things on eBay today too so I'll add once I work out fees and postage!

Hope everyone else is having a good month! Xx
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 11th Sep 17, 7:30 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    QueenJess
    That's terrible Aesop. I've been saving my my money in my paypal so I don't spend it but I'm off to withdraw it! Don't want to take any chances! I never really thought of them being able to block accounts and the like.

£10 Amazon vouchers from swagbucks to add and £2.83 from Qmee. Sold a couple of things on eBay today too so I'll add once I work out fees and postage!

Hope everyone else is having a good month! Xx
    Originally posted by tryingtoavoiddebt
    I obviously less trusting as I remove the money immediately! I transfer it into my own separate account for earnings so I can see what I spend it on (makes me feel psychologically better!)
    • tryingtoavoiddebt
    • By tryingtoavoiddebt 11th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    tryingtoavoiddebt
    I obviously less trusting as I remove the money immediately! I transfer it into my own separate account for earnings so I can see what I spend it on (makes me feel psychologically better!)
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    I'm off to look into a new account now! I can't leave it in my usual accounts as it's too easy to spend!x
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 19,586 Thanks
    FatVonD
    £10 FB sale
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 19,586 Thanks
    FatVonD
    . now to get ebay on board with using circle
    That will never happen, isn't one owned by the other? (PayPal and eBay)

If it goes by withdrawing too often then I'm probably in danger because I withdraw tiny amounts sometimes, better in my account than theirs I always think
    Make £5 a day in November £8.09/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 11th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    QueenJess
    That will never happen, isn't one owned by the other? (PayPal and eBay)

If it goes by withdrawing too often then I'm probably in danger because I withdraw tiny amounts sometimes, better in my account than theirs I always think
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    I don't think so - Paypal was spun off from eBay a few years ago. Originally they were joined which is why eBay advocated the use of Paypal. I guess they still have close links though.
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 11th Sep 17, 8:40 PM
    • 23,441 Posts
    • 153,319 Thanks
    Aesop
    Yes eBay and PayPal split company a few years ago. Probably why we get charged for postsge fees on eBay.

The way I see it PayPal is a conduit. It does own my money and should not encourage me to keep it in their account to spend online.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • Felula
    • By Felula 11th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    Felula
    Aesop I'm so sorry to hear about Paypal. That really sucks. I much prefer sites that payout through Paypal as it's actual cash. I didn't know there were limits to how often you could withdraw money. I hope you get it sorted out soon!
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 11th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Yes eBay and PayPal split company a few years ago. Probably why we get charged for postsge fees on eBay.

The way I see it PayPal is a conduit. It does own my money and should not encourage me to keep it in their account to spend online.
    Well it's basically like a credit card. These days you can even get Paypal financing! Geek moment.. but it isn't a bank and payments from customers in individual statutory company account are treated akin to a credit card rather than a bank account (i.e. it isn't your cash until you receive it and is shown as a creditor).

This is how I consider it - they want to make cash from you by number of transactions and hopefully by you taking up its new financing deals just like a credit card. Unless you spend lots and lots of money with them they probably don't care much about you. As with a credit card where I pay it off every month even though I am sure they want to suck you in (and I am sure I am the only person who rings up and asks them to reduce my credit when they try to increase it), I also take my funds out of Paypal instantly to ensure it isn't lost somewhere.

I still don't understand how they comply with the money laundering rules as you can apply for an account so quickly. Maybe they make certain checks on you... I have never looked into it, but I know one of my friends had his account limited as they wanted to see identification info. Why they hadn't done that before I have no idea.

That's why competition can be helpful as that will be the only incentive to increase any customer service that they have and keep fees from becoming too silly. I am sure you can get funds back from them since it isn't actually theirs and they should be holding that cash in a separate account as it is client money (I presume similar to legal funds etc), but I am also sure they could make it very difficult for you.

Sorry for the ramble... just interested my inner geek! Let us know how you get on Aesop.
    Last edited by QueenJess; 11-09-2017 at 8:58 PM.
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 11th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Aesop I'm so sorry to hear about Paypal. That really sucks. I much prefer sites that payout through Paypal as it's actual cash. I didn't know there were limits to how often you could withdraw money. I hope you get it sorted out soon!
    Originally posted by Felula
    I'm not sure that there are, but there are rumours of it being one of their triggers to check whether someone is doing something dodgy. However, I would be surprised that would be the case for the smallish amounts we are talking about here. They should have checks for potential money laundering or other dodgy goings on, although you would have thought it would be for larger amounts. Who knows... we are only guessing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter