Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 23,443Posts
    • 153,324Thanks
    Aesop
    ~Make upto 10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    ~Make upto 10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome 31st Aug 17 at 10:30 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

Happy anniversary Batgirl, your original forum thread is now 10 years old Same age as my DS this year.

This is the 121st month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make 10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra 10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of 1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to 5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for 10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:

Wages from your main job

What can be added:

Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:

Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX, MusicMagpie, and a few more too

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything. (You will be suprised at what sells!)

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

Join cashback sites like Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Mobile phone to recycle? Try http://mobilevaluer.com/ but also check other selling sites like ebay, Facebook selling, gumtree, etc.

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make 300 (or any amount of course!).
    lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it.

She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff. Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Last edited by Aesop; 30-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Make 10 a day September 2017 81.68.
    August 2017 390.47
Page 17
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 8:12 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    QueenJess

I've earnt 5 through Qmee so far but can't decide whether to cash this out now or hold out for bigger pay out :s what does everyone else tend to do?
    Originally posted by eLLeBee1986
    I grab and run... you never know when things might go bust/stop working and there is no downside to cashing out often. I just cashed out for 30p! Sometimes I don't bother if it's below 20p, but I have never been much over 1.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: November 172.43/300
    (Oct 605.53, Sep 434.99, Aug 442.32, Jul 446.51)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Just browsing the prices of new phones in case I need one. When did they get so expensive?
    • eLLeBee1986
    • By eLLeBee1986 8th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    eLLeBee1986
    I grab and run... you never know when things might go bust/stop working and there is no downside to cashing out often. I just cashed out for 30p! Sometimes I don't bother if it's below 20p, but I have never been much over 1.
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    Thanks I've cashed out ... 5.94 from Qmee.

I have decided not to include my overtime just yet as I'm going to try and do a couple more weekends so I'll add it on when I actually get paid so I know how much I've earnt after tax.

95.73 so far for me
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: September 95.73/300
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    Disaster... baby ate my phone and the display looks dodgy... turned it off and hoping it will dry overnight and be fine as buying a new one would be very expensive! Fingers crossed..
    do you have uncooked rice? take battery and sim out, lay it face down in bowl of rice. the rice draws moisture from phone, takes a few days.

I did have to laugh, sorry, at imagery of baby standing there, chewing on phone and his little teeth cutting through.
    August 2017 390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    Just browsing the prices of new phones in case I need one. When did they get so expensive?
    argos clearance, 2nd hand phones from cex, facebook selling pages
    August 2017 390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    #7 Kidstart
    #7 Kidstart

Another cashback site but aimed at kids. It is one of the only/few websites to pay 2% cashback on amazon purchases. Also from time to time ebay purchases.

Payment accrues until you reach 10 and then it can be withdrawn to your child's account.

I actually read the t and c on this account, and you don't have to have a child to join kidstart. You can join and have the money credited to your own account.

It's not a fast earner but it's nice to be paid for shopping on amazon or ebay

https://www.kidstart.co.uk/users/view/myhome.aspx?k=1

Don't forget to check the referral board and leave your own referral.
    August 2017 390.47
    • shariann
    • By shariann 8th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    shariann
    Afternoon All,

I remember some of you from a year or two back. Been off doing other things and am now back to needing to address this again. Hi to those I haven't "Met" yet and to those I have - Hope the interval has treated you all well ?

Don't really expect to hit the full amount this month, as it takes a while to get in the rhythm and get stuff listed etc, but hell, put me down for the 10 please Aesop and we'll see how it goes.

And got about 13 pages of posts to read in "Catch up mode"
    Originally posted by Procrastinater
    Hiya. Welcome back and good luck with the challenge

I'm going to try this too as waiting for 85p to be verified on pa to cash out
    Originally posted by shariann
    It worked! (Probably just ready for automatic verification but just cashed out so will add when it hits the bank
    10 a day November - 177.83300
    2014 110.92
    2015 3732.30
    2016 1633.66
    January 208.92 February 87.28 March 178.64 April 112.76 May 213.63 June 317.93 July 359.85 August 449.15 September 120.15 October 353.42
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    #8 Find lost bank accounts
    #8 Find lost bank accounts

http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/aboutus.htm

If you think you may have ever had an account and lost the paying in book/cashbook or are just nosey like me. Complete the form on line and wait to see if the banks/building societies find any missing money.

I did this and found some long forgotten about accounts for my sister. I also found 1, I had forgetten about! quickly withdrew the money and closed the account!

Others on MSE have successfully found lost accounts too.

Don't forget to post if you find any missing money. My commission is only 10%
    August 2017 390.47
    • cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 8th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    cufc_mike
    Haven't had chance to get online much since Tuesday night. I've been a little...pre-occupied shall we say. Delighted to announce the safe arrival of a beautiful little boy during the early hours of Wednesday morning. My wife and baby son (ha...that sounds weird!) are home, and our lives will never be the same again. A few extra pennies to help my total tick over. Hopefully a bit more to come tomorrow.

3.83 from matched betting
    0.20 from citizen me
    4.03 total.
    Credit Card: 1st Aug 2017 --> 1,371.04 NOW --> 236.52 (82% of the way there!)
    Make a Payment a Day: 213.51 in Aug, 167.55 in Sep, 300.00 in Oct, 453.46 in Nov
    Make 400 November Challenge: 381.62 / 400 (1,921.46 since Aug '17)
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 8th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 11,482 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Awwwwwwwwwww congrats Mike!! So pleased for you and your family!! Enjoy this precious time and forget about moneymaking for a little while at least.
    Your wife and baby need you more and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    Enjoy!!
    Make 10 a day challenge Jan/215.84/ Feb 146.45/ Mar 192.55/Apr 171.20/ May 156.40/june 95.55/ Jul 383.85/Aug 211.60/Sep 282.35/Oct 122.54/Nov 208.03
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1490.18 miles
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 11:25 PM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    Delighted to announce the safe arrival of a beautiful little boy during the early hours of Wednesday morning. My wife and baby son (ha...that sounds weird!) are home,
    Originally posted by cufc_mike
    huge congratulations to you both

well done and here's to plenty of money making while watching enjoying Fatherhood again.
    Last edited by Aesop; 09-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    August 2017 390.47
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th Sep 17, 5:27 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 23,250 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Haven't had chance to get online much since Tuesday night. I've been a little...pre-occupied shall we say. Delighted to announce the safe arrival of a beautiful little boy during the early hours of Wednesday morning. My wife and baby son (ha...that sounds weird!) are home, and our lives will never be the same again. A few extra pennies to help my total tick over. Hopefully a bit more to come tomorrow.
    Wonderful news, Mike

Glad that Mother and son are doing well. Big hugs to all of you.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 09-09-2017 at 6:18 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: 4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 3733.00/5000.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: 15841
    . Getting there. Balance so out of date, must update asap!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th Sep 17, 6:06 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 23,250 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Did I ever mention that OH is the king of hoarders and just can't get rid of anything?. Well, for once, I'm delighted by that but I'm not going to go OTT about thanking him as it will ruin all my efforts over the years to get him to dispose of things.

The reason I'm so happy is...... VHS videos. I've sold some on Amazon before(where they still have a separate listing category for them) from time to time. I thought most of them had gone until I unearthed this big boxful (well, OH did in one of his sheds). I know the ones I sold before were in good nick because they'd been stored in the house but I was a bit dubious about the ones from the leaky shed in case damp had got to them. They're decades old. Not having a working VHS player now I couldn't test them before listing.

After much scrabbling about in the other shed (a rainproof one this time) and much muttering OH produced a VHS player which I didn't recognise. It isn't our 'old' one and goodness knows where he acquired it. It works perfectly (amazingly he had stored the cables etc with it), as do all the tapes I've tested so far. Now all I have to do is list them. Some VHS tapes, surprisingly, are selling for decent money so it's worth a go.

No car boot or tabletop sales planned this weekend and rain is threatened for most of today so testing and listing the videos is a job I can get done instead. I know how to have fun
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 09-09-2017 at 6:25 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: 4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 3733.00/5000.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: 15841
    . Getting there. Balance so out of date, must update asap!
    • shariann
    • By shariann 9th Sep 17, 10:37 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    shariann

3.83 from matched betting
    0.20 from citizen me
    4.03 total.
    Congratulations
    10 a day November - 177.83300
    2014 110.92
    2015 3732.30
    2016 1633.66
    January 208.92 February 87.28 March 178.64 April 112.76 May 213.63 June 317.93 July 359.85 August 449.15 September 120.15 October 353.42
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 9th Sep 17, 10:50 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    QueenJess
    do you have uncooked rice? take battery and sim out, lay it face down in bowl of rice. the rice draws moisture from phone, takes a few days.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Thanks - will give that a go.. I turned it on this morning to have a look and definitely have shadows on the screen and not looking good. Still hopeful it'll recover as I once spilt a whole cup of water over a work laptop and it was fine once it dried and lasted years. Will leave it off for another day and see how it fares.

I was planning to get a new phone at some point as they don't really last and I like to push my technology to the limit, but was hoping I wouldn't need to until March time next year so I would have some time to save for it. I was also hoping the current phone would be ok and I would catch it before it breaks so I could trade it in for some cash!

Unfortunately with no phone my money making will be a bit slower and more tricky..
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 9th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 2,327 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Haven't had chance to get online much since Tuesday night. I've been a little...pre-occupied shall we say. Delighted to announce the safe arrival of a beautiful little boy during the early hours of Wednesday morning. My wife and baby son (ha...that sounds weird!) are home, and our lives will never be the same again.
    Congrats! I was wondering if there was a baby on the way as I hadn't seen you on the thread for a few days!
    • Procrastinater
    • By Procrastinater 9th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    Procrastinater

............. Some VHS tapes, surprisingly, are selling for decent money so it's worth a go.

No car boot or tabletop sales planned this weekend and rain is threatened for most of today so testing and listing the videos is a job I can get done instead. I know how to have fun
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks fot that
    I might have a few boxes around too - I know I took loads to the tip last year - but there may be some I missed
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 9th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    Did I ever mention that OH is the king of hoarders and just can't get rid of anything?. Well, for once, I'm delighted by that but I'm not going to go OTT about thanking him as it will ruin all my efforts over the years to get him to dispose of things.

The reason I'm so happy is...... VHS videos. I've sold some on Amazon before(where they still have a separate listing category for them) from time to time. I thought most of them had gone until I unearthed this big boxful (well, OH did in one of his sheds). I know the ones I sold before were in good nick because they'd been stored in the house but I was a bit dubious about the ones from the leaky shed in case damp had got to them. They're decades old. Not having a working VHS player now I couldn't test them before listing.

After much scrabbling about in the other shed (a rainproof one this time) and much muttering OH produced a VHS player which I didn't recognise. It isn't our 'old' one and goodness knows where he acquired it. It works perfectly (amazingly he had stored the cables etc with it), as do all the tapes I've tested so far. Now all I have to do is list them. Some VHS tapes, surprisingly, are selling for decent money so it's worth a go.

Originally posted by carbootcrazy

Think you will win the most unusual item sold competition cbc.

Well done to Oh but does this mean you have to split money with him,?

Are you selling the VHS player? DH needs a new one. I was debating buying one with dvd player installed too.
    August 2017 390.47
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 9th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 23,443 Posts
    • 153,324 Thanks
    Aesop
    Webuybooks
    Anyone selling to we buy books today

Use code WBBSAT1017

Extra 10% on any trade
    August 2017 390.47
    • Rosie
    • By Rosie 9th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 8,919 Thanks
    Rosie
    Congratulations Mike
    June 10 a day 246.80/300
    July 10 a day 181.88/310
    Aug 10 a day 317.24/310
    Sept 10 a day 609.90/300
    Oct 10 a day 367.34
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter