Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 23,283Posts
    • 152,499Thanks
    Aesop
    ~Make upto £10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    ~Make upto £10 a day in September 2017 ~ - everybody most welcome 31st Aug 17 at 10:30 PM
    Hello and welcome everybody

Happy anniversary Batgirl, your original forum thread is now 10 years old Same age as my DS this year.

This is the 121st month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make £10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of £1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to £5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for £10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:

Wages from your main job

What can be added:

Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly. Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:

Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX, MusicMagpie, and a few more too

Ebay - a place to sell anything and everything. (You will be suprised at what sells!)

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

Join cashback sites like Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Mobile phone to recycle? Try http://mobilevaluer.com/ but also check other selling sites like ebay, Facebook selling, gumtree, etc.

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Want to help someone else out? Sign up through their referral on the referral board, and leave yours, so someone else can do the same for you.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

This month's challenge is to try and make £300 (or any amount of course!).
    lynnejk is assisting me and will create the challengers list and update it.

She will also be answering any questions she can help with and here for general advice. Having been a challenger for a while, she knows her stuff. Thank you lynnejk for your help.

Good luck everybody. Remember to post any questions or comments that you have, and let's go on encouraging each other throughout this month.
    Make £10 a day September 2017 £81.68.
    August 2017 £390.47
Page 16
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 22,948 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just a quick update again I'm afraid (really struggling with my mood atm)

6th September
    RM Surveys - £2.00 love to shop vouchers
    Friend came to collect her dog that we've looked after while she's been away (he's never been in kennels or away from home before and it was good for us too hubby had a heart bypass nearly 3 months ago and having the dog has really encouraged us to get walking more than we would normally) and she brought us a card, flowers and gave us £150

7th Sepetember
    Ebay - £10 (after fees & postage)

Also managed to list 6 items on EBay.

Catch up tomorrow, keep up the great work everyone
    Originally posted by ziggy2407
    Sorry to hear you are finding things a bit of a struggle at the moment. You are doing really well, you should be proud of what you are achieving, Try to find a bit of 'you' time as caring for a loved one with health problems really takes it out of us, plus you've had the respomsibility of caring for your friend's dog. Even though you enjoyed it it's always a worry when we are responsible for something that means so much to others, like a pet. I hope DH continues to make good progress and that you'll be feeling much better yourself very soon too. Sending hugs your way

You say having the dog has been good for you and your DH so I wondered if a dog of your own might be a possibility? Not a boisterous and energetic puppy that you need to train and spend a lot of extra time on, but maybe a grown up rescue dog that would appreciate a loving home. Just a thought and obviously, not really knowing your circumstances,you may have already considered it and decided it's totally out of the question at the moment.

What a lovely friend to repay you like that but she must have had a wonderful holiday totally free from the anxiety of how her pet was doing in her absence. I bet the dog enjoyed his 'holday' too. Winners all round
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 08-09-2017 at 9:23 AM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £139.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 8th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 23,283 Posts
    • 152,499 Thanks
    Aesop
    I love you cbc. You have the perfect way with words.

Such lovely heartfelt thoughtful posts.
    Make £10 a day September 2017 £81.68.
    August 2017 £390.47
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 22,948 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I love you cbc. You have the perfect way with words.

Such lovely heartfelt thoughtful posts.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Thank you. Aesop. That was a really sweet thing to say.

I often think twice about posting as it isn't really related to making money and I worry about clogging up the thread by unnecessary chat. I don't feel so guilty if we're trying to hit one of your number of posts targets but I do otherwise.

. Getting there
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Was annoyingly awake at 4am this morning and so spent a bit of time looking into my eBay sales that aren't selling and amending the entries as appropriate. Still got one which I have taken down, but need to amend. I am determined to get rid of a reasonable chunk of my sales pile this month.

Went out for a walk and when I came back I had a sale (not one of the ones I amended) for £19.68 net of postage. Yay! I also had another bid for an auction ending Sunday, so fingers crossed that goes for a good amount.

Apart from the odd thing I mainly have very slow selling, low value items like books etc to sell. Am hoping the run up to December may help a bit.

Now up to £63.72 this month although got another £55 hopefully on its way from various sources (will only add once received). I have challenged myself to get £100 from sales this month and currently on £39.81, so that isn't bad. Just need to keep up the work!
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: September £403.08/£450
    (August £442.32, July £446.51)
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Sep 17, 12:56 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Sorry to hear you are finding things a bit of a struggle at the moment. You are doing really well, you should be proud of what you are achieving, Try to find a bit of 'you' time as caring for a loved one with health problems really takes it out of us, plus you've had the respomsibility of caring for your friend's dog. Even though you enjoyed it it's always a worry when we are responsible for something that means so much to others, like a pet. I hope DH continues to make good progress and that you'll be feeling much better yourself very soon too. Sending hugs your way

You say having the dog has been good for you and your DH so I wondered if a dog of your own might be a possibility? Not a boisterous and energetic puppy that you need to train and spend a lot of extra time on, but maybe a grown up rescue dog that would appreciate a loving home. Just a thought and obviously, not really knowing your circumstances,you may have already considered it and decided it's totally out of the question at the moment.

What a lovely friend to repay you like that but she must have had a wonderful holiday totally free from the anxiety of how her pet was doing in her absence. I bet the dog enjoyed his 'holday' too. Winners all round
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Totally agree with you CBC and couldn't have said it better
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Was annoyingly awake at 4am this morning and so spent a bit of time looking into my eBay sales that aren't selling and amending the entries as appropriate. Still got one which I have taken down, but need to amend. I am determined to get rid of a reasonable chunk of my sales pile this month.

Went out for a walk and when I came back I had a sale (not one of the ones I amended) for £19.68 net of postage. Yay! I also had another bid for an auction ending Sunday, so fingers crossed that goes for a good amount.

Apart from the odd thing I mainly have very slow selling, low value items like books etc to sell. Am hoping the run up to December may help a bit.

Now up to £63.72 this month although got another £55 hopefully on its way from various sources (will only add once received). I have challenged myself to get £100 from sales this month and currently on £39.81, so that isn't bad. Just need to keep up the work!
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    Sorry to read you waking soo early and hope you have time for a cat-nap later to catch up

Meanwhile, well done on all the sales and loving the dedication - I'm sure it will pay off for you
    Lx
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Welcome back Procrastinator

Hope your mood lifts soon Ziggy.......life can be like wading through treacle when you feel low.

£8 tips for yesterday. Things at work are changing fast. Manageress resigned , another member of staff let go and I believe there is going to be one more to go next week. Three new staff started and hopefully things will settle down in a few weeks time.
    As ever.....I am doing extra days.

A question.......I am up to next level on one pulse so 20p for each paying survey. Is there a top level where it doesnt go up anymore?
    I have hear of people on 25p a survey.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Well done on the tips again KM and sorry to hear things a bit unsettled at work again. Hope it all soon sorts out and you can, hopefully, have a little more time for yourself (though the extra pennies will help eh )
    Lx
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Sorry to read you waking soo early and hope you have time for a cat-nap later to catch up
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    With a teething 7 month old on the move who refuses to sleep in the day? Not likely I'm afraid.. I am consoling myself with at least having made some money instead!
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Welcome back Procrastinator
    A question.......I am up to next level on one pulse so 20p for each paying survey. Is there a top level where it doesnt go up anymore?
    I have hear of people on 25p a survey.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    I think Aesop was on 25p? This is still a dream for me as I only started midway through July and so only on 18p a survey right now.

I presumed that the amount of XP you would need to go up a level would increase and increase so eventually you don't get very far, rather than there being a specific cut off.
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    I am doing a terrible job of reading this thread. I swear I do read all the posts and then people quote something and I have no recollection of reading the original post at all! Clearly a combination of a lack of sleep and some serious multi tasking! Must try harder..
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 8th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 21,694 Thanks
    ziggy2407

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your kindness.

The last few years have been very up and down - I had a heart attack (age 44) in 2014 and seem to have numerous health issues since then major and minor but just when I start to feel we're turning a corner something else upsets the balance but trying to stay positive and do as much as I can when I can. We are hoping to get a dog later this year as we have a holiday planned for October half-term as due to hubby's op we have been unable to plan anything else. Hubby is making amazing progress and we can really see the benefits of his op.

The £150 from my friend was totally unexpected but as she said it would have cost to have him in kennels. She could have left the dog at home and her parents would have gone to visit it and take it out but she was reluctant to put them under any pressure as her dad is 85 and her mum has dementia so they really have enough on their plates without worrying about the dog. Plus it was great experience for our son who has been wanting a dog since forever.

Thank you again for your kindness and sorry for the waffling on.

It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £358.12/£155

Make £5 per day in September 2017: £365.53/£150
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your kindness.

The last few years have been very up and down - I had a heart attack (age 44) in 2014 and seem to have numerous health issues since then major and minor but just when I start to feel we're turning a corner something else upsets the balance but trying to stay positive and do as much as I can when I can. We are hoping to get a dog later this year as we have a holiday planned for October half-term as due to hubby's op we have been unable to plan anything else. Hubby is making amazing progress and we can really see the benefits of his op.

The £150 from my friend was totally unexpected but as she said it would have cost to have him in kennels. She could have left the dog at home and her parents would have gone to visit it and take it out but she was reluctant to put them under any pressure as her dad is 85 and her mum has dementia so they really have enough on their plates without worrying about the dog. Plus it was great experience for our son who has been wanting a dog since forever.

Thank you again for your kindness and sorry for the waffling on.

Originally posted by ziggy2407
    I would love to say something great, but CBC already did too good a job. Keep going and look after yourself. Getting a dog will be a nice thing to look forward to
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 22,948 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Congratulations to everyone on all the money they're making. You're all doing a lot better than me so far this month

£5 payout from Pinecone has just trickled in though. I'm going to have to pull out all the stops as there's nothing much in the pipeline either.

. Getting there
    • Milly-Ann-Molly
    • By Milly-Ann-Molly 8th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 4,333 Thanks
    Milly-Ann-Molly
    £8 via Paypal from postal survey. Not much for a whole month of entering data about received items and then posting stuff back but every little helps

Another late night for me. This is getting to be a habit. I've been reading a brilliant book and am desperate to finish it but there are too many pages left to get to the end tonight and I'm finding it hard to keep my eyes open. Having a quick catch-up on here and then off to bed.

Goodnight all.
    I've been up late each night too... hubby is on night shift and I e been spring cleaning (technically it's a ruse for my eBay stock hunting ) but last night put my boys to bed and literally the second I sat for a cuppa I fell asleep! At 2200!!! Thats my earliest night in years!!!

Make £/day 2017: July: £1302.12 Aug: £2582.32 Sept: £1532.50
    V= 15489 L= 8283, 5220 M= 180863 Quidco £2,128.24 - July 2017 onwards Road Kill £1.77
    Nectar £13.52 Tesco £6.00 Boots £1.14 Morrisons £10 2017 Lottery £14.60 M&S £120
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 5:20 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    A couple more additions:
    £20.32 PA
    10p Citizenme

Less than a pound away from 3 figures! I had aimed for £100 by the end of today.. I think that's close enough although might have a quick go on Qmee to see if I can get it to £100..
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 6:51 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Ok - just forced myself to list another 4 items on eBay. Wish me happy sales!
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Disaster... baby ate my phone and the display looks dodgy... turned it off and hoping it will dry overnight and be fine as buying a new one would be very expensive! Fingers crossed..
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 8th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,186 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Disaster... baby ate my phone and the display looks dodgy... turned it off and hoping it will dry overnight and be fine as buying a new one would be very expensive! Fingers crossed..
    Originally posted by QueenJess
    Just hoping the baby's okay and isn't digital now
    Lx
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 8th Sep 17, 8:04 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Just hoping the baby's okay and isn't digital now
    Lx
    Originally posted by lynnejk
    It sounds like a bad homework excuse doesn't it?! Baby is teething and also trying to stand... didn't notice he had got it from the high up sofa and then chewed it to relieve his teething pain.. apparently it was good because he seemed much better after!
    • eLLeBee1986
    • By eLLeBee1986 8th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    eLLeBee1986
    Hi all, this is my first official post with earnings as Ive completely forgotten to update. My nights have been spent completing surveys and trying to earn as much as possible but slow start so far on those. So far I've earnt:

Sunday £111 from overtime (before tax not sure how to work this out after tax)
    Wednesday £82.79 cashing topcashback
    Friday £7 from Avon

I've earnt £5 through Qmee so far but can't decide whether to cash this out now or hold out for bigger pay out :s what does everyone else tend to do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,302Posts Today

8,514Users online

Martin's Twitter