Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 31st Aug 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,327Posts
    • 7,174Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2017
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:07 PM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2017 31st Aug 17 at 8:07 PM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to sstevo19 for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
    7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    October 2016
    November 2016
    December 2016
    January 2017
    February 2017
    March 2017
    April 2017
    May 2017
    June 2017
    July 2017
    August 2017
    Last edited by pinkfluffybabe; 31-08-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 (44/142 UU, 28 INs)
Page 4
    • fixx
    • By fixx 11th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    fixx
    Hi ladies!

I just got back from holiday late Saturday night, so I’m a bit behind – but caught up on the thread now I think.

I had quite a few UUs while travelling, but can’t remember them all  Something like:
    - Pack of Boots cucumber face wipes
    - Travel deodorant
    - Several sachets of moisturiser
    - 5 x travel bottles or sachets of shampoo and conditioner
    - 1 travel toothpaste
    - 1 sachet body lotion

And 1 UU last night:
    - Elemis frangipani monoi body balm. WBA, on offer. Love this scent, love Elemis body stuff, just refuse to pay full price

Also a few ins, taking advantage of shopping abroad:
    - Replacement travel deodorant
    - 2 essence nailpolishes
    - 2 matte lipglosses – 1 Kiko, 1 Essence
    - Eyebrow brush (essence)

So not too bad, honest

My skin is now a little unbalanced from travelling though – so some pampering this week will definitely follow! Also did my nails last night – a deep teal fine glitter polish from Sephora, and Seche Vite on top. I had to revive the Seche vite with some Seche Restore, and the Seche vite is definitely getting low. I’ve plenty of other top coats though, so hopefully it’ll be done soon.
    • xcarlyx
    • By xcarlyx 11th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    xcarlyx
    So today I did a huge destash and ended up

TA
    1 x L'oreal Mat Matic Eyeliner - Broken
    1 x Natural Collection Lip Gloss Shade Fondant
    1 X 12 Eyeshadow palette
    1 x Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
    61 x Nail Polishes
    1 x Constance Caroll eyeshadow in Green
    1 x 150ml Superdrug Chocolate Brownie dry shampoo - WNBA

Also UU
    1 x Natural Collection 150ml body spray in Strawberry
    1 x Shockwaves heat defence curl mousse 200ml
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2017 In's - 0 /UU'S - 6 / TA's - 67
    • fixx
    • By fixx 11th Sep 17, 7:15 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    fixx
    61 x Nail Polishes
    Originally posted by xcarlyx
    Wow! Not at how many polishes you must have (or had) - I've got looooooooads; but how you could actually manage to get rid of 61?! I couldn't - I can only bear to do one or two at a time

A few quick ins for me on the way home - but essentials:
    3 x Sheer Blonde shampoo - in the millie mackintosh darker blonde version that now appears to be being discontinued. I looooove sheer blonde shampoos, and I'm almost out. These were reduced to £1.25, and then included in a 3 for 2 offer! So £2.50 for 3 sheer blonde shampoos, which are normally £5.99 each. Very happy
    • xcarlyx
    • By xcarlyx 11th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 3,867 Thanks
    xcarlyx
    Wow! Not at how many polishes you must have (or had) - I've got looooooooads; but how you could actually manage to get rid of 61?! I couldn't - I can only bear to do one or two at a time

A few quick ins for me on the way home - but essentials:
    3 x Sheer Blonde shampoo - in the millie mackintosh darker blonde version that now appears to be being discontinued. I looooove sheer blonde shampoos, and I'm almost out. These were reduced to £1.25, and then included in a 3 for 2 offer! So £2.50 for 3 sheer blonde shampoos, which are normally £5.99 each. Very happy
    Originally posted by fixx
    I had around 300 + a few years back, I got rid of a variation old ones that I wouldn't use again and some greens & yellows.

I'm a care assistant so I cant have my nails painted for work, but I have kept the expensive ones such as OPI and leighton denny.

I have tried donating part used ones to care homes etc in the past but nowhere wants them LOL
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries September 2017 In's - 0 /UU'S - 6 / TA's - 67
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 11th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sunny_money
    UU
    Peter Thomas Roth - mini conditioner - 22ml.

I have actually run out of a few things now! I would have Never run out of anything before joining this thread - it's working!
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 12th Sep 17, 1:27 AM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 8,095 Thanks
    wondercollie
    TA:
    Herbacin Kamille hand cream 20ml tin. Replaced with the same. It had gone waxy and wasn't melting in. But in all honesty, it's been hiding in the bottom of a work bag and who knows how long it's been in there? Well, at least 18 months.

I have a problem with hand creams. I get them as presents from my kids at Christmas and birthdays and just because. They know my hands are wrecked from work and winter. Autumn has started and my skin is starting to dry out and feel papery. It's bad I have two at my bed side, one in my knitting bag, one in my going out back and one in my work bag.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 29,989 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have some uu

Glamglow Thirstymud Mask 30g
    - this came as part of a half price set making it amazing value, this stuff smells gorgeous like coconut cream pie. WBA.

Westlab Himalayan Detoxifying Salts 1kg - these don't seem to dissolve easily like the epsom salts so WNBA for that reason.

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Orange & Mint 200ml
    - WNBA, there is no natural orange and mint in the ingredients so just a synthetic fragrance so WNB for that reason but would buy the original version.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 12th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Well I tried the Clinique TTDO Balm last night and it stung my skin
    • Magpied
    • By Magpied 12th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    Magpied
    Hi all, returning MSEr... need to de-stash due to upcoming arrival(!) over Christmas...
    Cancelled my Birchbox subscription last month - far too many products i will never use, and too many of the same thing too.... a lot of the sealed stuff will be heading towards the food bank trolley!

Am trying to use up as much of the strongly scented bath stuff i have before baby arrives - I don't want to smell unfamiliar and i doubt i'll be having time to have long baths!

Lush Intergalatic bath bomb - made the water very pretty, and their finer shimmery particles don't seem to irritate my skin as much as the old style glitter they used to use. Strong minty scent. WBA

Bomb Cosmetics Fizz Bang Pop bath blaster - scent wasn't great so WNBA. Also had to pick off scratchy metal glitter stars before using...

John Frieda Conditioner from a hair dye - nothing special WNB
    Last edited by Magpied; 12-09-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 UU 6
    2017 declutter 32/2017 Roadkill £1.06 Wombling free/ Ys savings 2017 £320.89 2016 @ £141.25 Craft Stash 3
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 12th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    asset2004
    2 OUTS - well GAs - to a friend when I went out for tea to theirs - 2 BS products - butter and scrub.
    2 down plenty more to go!

On another matter but still MSE I bought a couple of tops that were half price in the sale. I had coveted this style for so long that when I saw it on sale I bought it in several colours but each top was still a significant amount of amount, more than a days wage (so as I bought 3 that's almost a week's work). Anyway decided that the size I'd ordered was too big, it was at it was too wide across my hips. So sent one back for the next size down, which fits as it should but on taking it off managed to make a hole in the underarm.
    It was maybe when I put my arm up get it over my head but definitely wasn't rough with it. So my dilema is do I return it to ask for a refund? Don't think I want to get the next size up. Or if they offered a partial discount I would probably repair it. But the price it is I feel it's not worth the price and don't want to keep it. Any ideas? Bearing in mind I never buy anything new for myself and have now bought three that I feel it's not very MSE but it's a small company and I'm feeling rather bad about buying as many and justifying keeping them.
    Last edited by asset2004; 12-09-2017 at 8:22 PM.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    sstevo19
    One UU this morning:

Lush Rose Jam shower gel 250g WDBA. I love this. It's such a great scent. This is probably the only thing I'm going to buy from Lush this Christmas. I've not bought anything from them in months

And three INs from yesterday:

The Ordinary Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% 30ml
    The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 30ml
    The Ordinary “Buffet” 30ml

So excited to try these products. I'm going to finish some open products first before I start on these
    Last edited by sstevo19; 13-09-2017 at 8:01 AM.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Thank you pinkfluffybabe for starting us off for September!

My PP list for September is going to be

The Body Shop Aloe Calming Cream Cleanser
    The Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter - This is nearing the end so should be finished in the first week or so
    Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm
    Lush Rose Jam shower gel - This is so big and never ending
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    My updated PP list
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Sep 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 29,989 Thanks
    dolly84
    2 OUTS - well GAs - to a friend when I went out for tea to theirs - 2 BS products - butter and scrub.
    2 down plenty more to go!

On another matter but still MSE I bought a couple of tops that were half price in the sale. I had coveted this style for so long that when I saw it on sale I bought it in several colours but each top was still a significant amount of amount, more than a days wage (so as I bought 3 that's almost a week's work). Anyway decided that the size I'd ordered was too big, it was at it was too wide across my hips. So sent one back for the next size down, which fits as it should but on taking it off managed to make a hole in the underarm.
    It was maybe when I put my arm up get it over my head but definitely wasn't rough with it. So my dilema is do I return it to ask for a refund? Don't think I want to get the next size up. Or if they offered a partial discount I would probably repair it. But the price it is I feel it's not worth the price and don't want to keep it. Any ideas? Bearing in mind I never buy anything new for myself and have now bought three that I feel it's not very MSE but it's a small company and I'm feeling rather bad about buying as many and justifying keeping them.
    Originally posted by asset2004
    Not sure really. I think I would contact them and tell them the whole tale and say you don't think the quality is up to scratch. If that happened when you tried it on what will a few wash and wears do to it?
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Sep 17, 10:08 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 29,989 Thanks
    dolly84
    Welcome back Magpied.

I have some uu

Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Moisturiser 15ml
    - WMBA

L'oreal Caresse Lipstick in Aphrodite Scarlet - this was a pretty blue toned pink which look flattering but it disappeared in minutes, a couple of applications did leave a stain for a while but no actual lipstick so WNBA.
    • sunny_money
    • By sunny_money 13th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    sunny_money
    INs

Boots Time Delay Replenishing eye cream - 15ml. Let's see how I like this budget buy...

Elvive Extraordinary Clay conditioner - 250ml
    • fixx
    • By fixx 13th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    fixx
    Tili box in Loooove it all, so very happy - I rarely get boxes any more, but this was great. Included:
    - Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel (15ml)
    - Bareminerals Gen Nude Matte Liquid Lipcolour (4ml)
    - Gatineau Floracil Plus Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover (118ml)
    - Shay & Blue Blood Orange eau de parfum (10ml)
    - Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum (10ml)
    - L'Occitane Almond Supple Skin Oil (15ml)
    - Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat (18ml)
    - Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Color Splash Lipstick (1g) in Colada
    - Rituals The Ritual of Sakura Foaming Shower Gel (50ml)

And UU a shampoo - John Frieda Sheer Blonde, HG shampoo. Replacements bought a couple of days ago, as this was my last shampoo bottle.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 13th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I'm having a bit of splurge recently. A new Superdrug opened up in the retail park where I work, and I went a bought a few bits and pieces.

L'Oreal Paris Pure Clay Multi-masking Play Kit 3x10ml
    Sensodyne Repair & Protect Whitening toothpaste 75ml
    Toni & Guy Prep Heat Protection Spray 150ml

You know when you go into a shop and come away with stuff and forgot the items you were going to buy originally? I did that today. I need a deodorant to keep in my bag and I forgot it, ugh.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 14th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 29,989 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Phil Smith Expanding Thickening Cream 100ml
    - WBA, smells great and gives a bit of extra thickness to the roots of my fine hair but still keeps it soft. I have a replacement from the same brand with a slighly different name so that will be opened now.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 14th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 34,926 Thanks
    VALM
    3 more UUs
    Can't remember my numbering ..

L'Oreal Excellence hair colour in Rich Auburn Nice colour. Have another in stash.

500ml ABC Lavender Tea Tree Skinwash Lovely but have far too much shower gel to repurchase at the mo.

Avon deodorant too wet. WNBA. Have replaced with Nivea.

Threw away another nail colour today: OPI An Affair in Red Square. Will repuchase this. Am wearing OPI Dark Side of the Mood.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 14th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 34,926 Thanks
    VALM
    Updated pp list
    Maybelline Colour Tattoo
    OPI Nail Envy
    Smashbox eyeshadow
    No 7 cleansing wipes
    Avon Deodorant
    Avon Skin So Fresh body lotion
    ABC Teatree skinwash
    ABC Lavender teatree skin wash
    LUSH Dirty shave cream
    kind Natured conditioner

Think the Nail Envy is not going to last much longer. I'm at the point where I keep tipping the bottle every which way to get product on the brush. Have more in stash anyway.

Probably on the last cleansing wipe tonight.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin