Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fcjf
    • By fcjf 31st Aug 17, 7:17 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 1Thanks
    fcjf
    Will Trust & IHT205
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:17 PM
    Will Trust & IHT205 31st Aug 17 at 7:17 PM
    I am completing form IHT205 for my late Mother and have a query around Will Trusts which I am hoping someone can help me with.

When obtaining the original Will from the Solicitors they mentioned that the house in the Will was a Trust House. The clause in the Will states ' I GIVE free of tax to my trustees my beneficial share in the residential property which I own at the date of my death'.

My Dad still lives in the property and the Will states further that he has a beneficial share in the property etc. They set up mirror Wills in 2009.

I have seen a letter from the Solicitors who set up the Will advising that they had advised the Land Registry that the property was no longer owned under Joint Tenancy. I obtained the Title Register and it states the owners as my Mum and Dad but has a restriction that 'No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court'.

I don't really understand what this means but if it isn't a Joint Tenancy or Tenants in Common on the IHT205 form does this go down as an asset being held in Trust and the details entered in Box 9.3 (it is valued at £90,000).

In addition do I need to register with the Land registry that myself and my brother (also named as a Trustee) have an interest in the property and does this have to be done by a Solicitor or can we I do it once I have Grant of Representation?

The Will also states that my Mum personal property was given in equal shares to her Trustees (myself and my brother) UPON TRUST. Do these have be entered in Box 9.3 as held in a Trust?

Any advice much appreciated.
    Last edited by fcjf; 31-08-2017 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Wrong form reference
Page 1
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 2nd Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    Crabapple
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    The IHT 205 is the picture at the date of death.

None of the assets were in trust at that point, they were just hers, so don't go in any trust sections.

The second bit isn't really a trust as such, it's just holding assets safe until distribution to the beneficiaries has taken place.
    Daughter born January 2012 Son born February 2014

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 2nd Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2nd Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    The IHT 205 is the picture at the date of death.

None of the assets were in trust at that point, they were just hers, so don't go in any trust sections.

The second bit isn't really a trust as such, it's just holding assets safe until distribution to the beneficiaries has taken place.
    Originally posted by Crabapple
    Regarding registration you only need to do that if you are going to keep the proerty. Otherwise the change can be incorporated when you sell it.
    • fcjf
    • By fcjf 7th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    fcjf
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    Regarding registration you only need to do that if you are going to keep the property. Otherwise the change can be incorporated when you sell it.
    So just to confirm, my Mothers share of the property is now owned by myself and my brother, my Dad carries on living at the property and we don't need to notify any changes to the Land registry unless we are keeping the property when my dad passes away?
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 7th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    So just to confirm, my Mothers share of the property is now owned by myself and my brother, my Dad carries on living at the property and we don't need to notify any changes to the Land registry unless we are keeping the property when my dad passes away?
    Originally posted by fcjf
    What you need to remember is that the value at the date the house ceame yours needs to be established so that the base value for CGT purposes is established when you fianlly sell the property. This needs a paid for valuation by a RICS or similar professional.
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 7th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    Crabapple
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    If this is a life interest trust for the surviving spouse as suggested in the op then there will be CGT uplift on his death.

Only if it is an outright gift to the sons could there be a tax issue later for which they would need a base cost.

• cherry76
    • By cherry76 7th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    cherry76
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    If this is a life interest trust for the surviving spouse as suggested in the op then there will be CGT uplift on his death.

Only if it is an outright gift to the sons could there be a tax issue later for which they would need a base cost.
    Originally posted by Crabapple

Do I understand there will be no CGT upon selling if the house was held in a trust.?
    • Crabapple
    • By Crabapple 7th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 7,113 Thanks
    Crabapple
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    If this is a life interest trust then it's treated as owned by the life tenant so no CGT on disposal, unless it's increase in value after date of death. But this does not apply to other types of trust ownership where CGT may be an issue.

• loulou41
    • By loulou41 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    There will not be any capital gains tax liability on the share of the property held by the Trust since the trustees can claim principal private residence relief as a result of the surviving partner’s right to occupy. Saw this on the internet does this make sense. If the trustees have got their own house how can they claim relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter