Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE William
    • By MSE William 31st Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE William
    Is post-school education good value for money?
    • 31st Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    Is post-school education good value for money? 31st Aug 17 at 6:19 PM
    The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee is investigating the funding of post-school education, which includes universities, further education colleges and apprenticeships.

They really want to hear what you think about the current system, and how it could be improved.

1. Did your post-school education give you the skills you need?
    2. Do you think it was good value for money?
    3. What changes would improve the current system?

Please tell us your thoughts below and we’ll send them on to the Committee.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • mark5
    • By mark5 13th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    mark5
    The most obvious issue is the fees in England and the lack of a maintenance grant. I still find it astonishing England based students are at a distinct disadvantage over their fellow UKers when it comes to going to University and nobody seems to be making a major noise about it. How can it be fair that a student from England can go on the same course in Scotland as a fellow Brit, but end up in huge debt - whereas the Scottish based student does not? They both may go for the same jobs (which could be in England). Why is the difference in tuition fees so huge between England and Wales? There is no distinction made between wealthy students and poorer students - yes they can all take out a loan, but the savvy rich would not, and the poor have to. Then there is interest on top of that. The maintenance loan is also an issue for first year students because they have to live somewhere. The quality of halls is not always great, but the charges are. I've seen so many Universities spending huge amounts on smart buildings that win awards and look snazzy, but I would rather money was invested so that students wouldn't have to pay so much just to attend. It's the quality of teaching that matters and I don't think that, given the number of teaching hours, students should be paying so much in England. Don't bring up the fees for Wales and Scotland, bring down the fees in England so that all UKers have an equal chance in life.
    Originally posted by Fluffybunny
    With Wales it's down to the Welsh assembly but we just suffer in other areas, when England had a council tax freeze for a few years my council tax was going up 5% each year.

The NHS seems to be better in England as well.

They give with one hand but take with the other, some gain from this while others don't!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin