Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 31st Aug 17, 2:32 PM
    • 807Posts
    • 742Thanks
    sauceoclock
    0 WOW
    Amsterdam - How much should I take with me and what is a must-see!
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:32 PM
    0 WOW
    Amsterdam - How much should I take with me and what is a must-see! 31st Aug 17 at 2:32 PM
    My OH and I are heading to Amsterdam and will be there 5 nights (6 days). We paid for our flights, hotel, airport parking, travel insurance and our entry to the Heineken tour so far. Neither of us have been on holiday in 5-7 years and are a little out of touch with how much things cost overseas. We arenít going for coffee shops as that isnít really our bag, we will have a few beers in the evening a few of the days we are there though. We arenít about fancy dinners but my boyfriend is vegan so Iím asking him to research cheap eats (recommendations welcome).

My question is, is my budget of 1000 euros between us for spending a realistic one (personally I think we should come back with change from this so I could be completely deluded!!) or is Amsterdam really expensive and will require much more? We will have paid entry to all the things we want to do prior to flying and this wonít be coming out of our spending money budget, we intend to get a travel pass at Schipol airport as our hotel is a little out of the city, my research says this will be a one-off 23EUR each so thatíll be deducted from our budget on our first day. I guess all we will really need is money to eat & drink and perhaps buy ourselves a couple of treats if we so wish.

Lastly, any recommendations for Amsterdam aside from the main attractions (AF House, Van Gogh museum etc.) would be much appreciated as we both like to see interesting things. Trying to loosely plan our time so we donít end up wasting it while we are there (though not strictly plan things as Iím not about a military operation holiday!). So far we are hitting the Heineken experience, s** museum and if itís not several hours long to queue the Anne Frank House.

Thanks! Very sorry if this is an annoying thread in the wrong place, I'm not very good at selecting where a thread like this should go and value the opinions of fellow money-savers!
    Loan: £3,600 £2,889.62
    Credit Card: £1,337.84 £1197.84
    Unsecured Debt Total: £4,087.46
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 31st Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    • 11,594 Posts
    • 7,848 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:08 PM
    Your budget should be more than adequate, but equip yourselves with a good travel credit or debit card so that if you spend less than that you don't get stuck with lots of cash Euro, and if you go over budget you don't face excessive charges to get at your money.

I love Amsterdam, but not for the food. My best meals there were Indonesian: there is a chain of Indonesian restaurants that offer delicious food at reasonable prices, and should include some decent vegetarian options.

Some of my best experiences were free self-guided walking tours: visit a tourist information office (there is one near to the main railway station) and pick up leaflets giving directions and background information. And keep an eye (and ear) open for bars with live music: there are many, and the standard is very high.

An obvious place to wander is the old red-light district: be sure to visit the "old church" (like a cathedral) that lies at its heart, and the hidden chapel of "our Lord in the attic" which has enormous atmosphere and offers some great and unexpected views over the city.

Since your hotel is some way out, I suggest you ensure that you have installed the uber app on your smartphone and if possible linked it to a card that does not charge too much for foreign currency. You may well need to get home at a time when public transport is not convenient.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 31st Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    Not suitable for your OH but there is a burger chain, that does a lovely burger. They get the mince out and weight it and cook it in front of you. Can't recall the name but it was a chain.

We enjoyed the sex museum, made us giggle something silly. We went with open minds and it just made us laugh. Wasn't too expensive.

There is a big building near the main station, again can't recall the name. But you can go up and get a view of the city. Believe that's free but not sure, we didn't fit it in.
    They've also recently added a giant swing, again near the station, might even be the same.building.

We also enjoyed sitting in a bar near the red light district, snuggled under blankets (we went March) and people watched. Most interesting.

Heineken museum also includes a canal ride. However they close earlier than the museum and for special events. We missed the last boat as no one warned us of this fact.
    Also as we left we was given a leaflet, to take the Heineken shop. This is a far distance away, and we had to walk. But I believe the canal trip drops you near. Got a couple of souvenirs for free (we managed to get two leaflets each and collected two gifts each)

Am really sorry I can't recall the names of places, memory is terrible. But hopefully you can find the names and details from my comments.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 31st Aug 17, 8:08 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 1,945 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:08 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:08 PM
    That will be plenty. Are you really getting a 6 day travel pass for 23 Eu? There are plenty cheap restaurants but vegan makes it more difficult
    travelover
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 31st Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    Go to the Flower Market in the morning - not the one in the city but the one on the Airport. Allow half a day its huge.

Go to the AF museum at the end of the day - huge queues at other times.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 1st Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    Thanks everyone, we have now researched some vegan restaurants and gathered some recommendations from both this site and friends who've been.

Yes the transport was very cheap, our hotel has a deal with the public transport providers so we get trams and buses for the whole stay for 23EUR and also we've paid 20EUR to hire 2 bikes for the week in case we fancy cycling in (it's about a 20 minute cycle to the centre).

Shall definitely check out the tower and the swing (BF may take some convincing) we're hitting the Heineken factory at 11am on a Tuesday so we should have time for it all
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 16,871 Posts
    • 100,801 Thanks
    maman
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    If you like art then I'd go to the Rijkmuseum. Fantastic paintings especially Dutch Old Masters but other things too like Delft ceramics. Definitely take a trip round the canals. I found the different gable styles on the roofs fascinating and could have spent hours looking at them.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 1st Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    Can recommend EYE Film Museum (https://www.eyefilm.nl/en), just over the water from the train station. Also enjoyed exploring De Pijp, much less touristy than the centre.
    • DevilsAdvocate1
    • By DevilsAdvocate1 1st Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    DevilsAdvocate1
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    We were in Amsterdam last October and wanted to go to the AF museum and found you had to book it online because it was full. Obviously it was too late to do this as there was no availability showing at all. We were there at the start and end of the week and could not even get it booked for the end of the week. Was told to book as far in advance as possible.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 1st Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    daveyjp
    6 days is a long time to spend in Amsterdam. However the country is small and it has a good train service so consider escaping to another area for a couple of days.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 19th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    MandM90
    Hi there!

Which restaurants are you planning on hitting? We're vegan and going to Amsterdam for 4 days (3 nights) in Feb.

Have a few ideas already - going to see if it's worthwhile getting the i amsterdam card which covers some museum entries, travel and a river cruise.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 19th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 35,571 Posts
    • 45,794 Thanks
    McKneff
    The Zoo

The Sex museum is a must see, its hilarious in places

GO TO DEN Haag , The Hague.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 19th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Wandering along some of the streets and over bridges is great if you are interested in architecture as there are lots of different features to see from various historical times.

AF house is a must.

As well as those places already mentioned I would add the Hermitage -as far as I know the only one outside Russia.

Flower market already mentioned but I would still go and have a look at the one in town.

Use your travel pass to the full, great service on the teams to get about the city.

Old ship in the harbour (doh! I forget it's name), the maritime museum.

A canal cruise is a bit naff once you have done it once but for your first time very good to get your bearings and a feel for the place: better than the bus tour.

Several great cheese shops scattered around.

I wouldn't bother about diamond factory tours, interesting if you know nothing, but disliked the 'sell' at the end.

Amsterdam is really no more expensive than UK cities so, especially as you have booked lots in advance you should have more than enough unless you have expensive tastes!

Been a few times and could happily spend six days there again!
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 19-09-2017 at 5:45 PM.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 20th Sep 17, 5:02 AM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    A boat ride on the canals is always lovely
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 20th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    camelot1001
    If you have a travel card that allows you to go further afield, I would recommend Den Haag (The Hague). It will only take you about half an hour on the train, fairly small city with loads to see, you can get to the beach at Scheveningen (sp) from there.

Other places nearby I would recommend are Delft, Leiden, Haarlem and Rotterdam.

You should have plenty of money and the cafes out of the main drag will be the best.

Hope you have fun.
    • sarah69696pink
    • By sarah69696pink 20th Sep 17, 7:10 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    sarah69696pink
    I'd also recommend a trip on the canals
    Lots of lovely cocktail and wine bars if you're interested in that - just google best bars in amsterdam and lots will come up.
    We enjoyed prostitution museum in RL district
    We also enjoyed cheese tasting - although no good for you/your partner!
    The main thing we liked was just wandering and seeing what we came across.
    Although would also recommend AF house - have you tried booking online?
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 21st Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    I cannot recommend enough simply renting a bicycle and cycling around the city! Prepare to ache the next day though if you're not used to cycling - if I went again I'd do some cycling at home (or the gym) first to get used to it.

I found everything to be a similar price to the UK really.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • techno12
    • By techno12 23rd Sep 17, 1:17 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    techno12
    Go to the Brouwerij t' IJ for some craft beers and small brewery tour. It's next to a big traditional windmill - a decent walk along the canals to get to it.

Join the locals and hop on the free ferry to the north bank of the river. Not that much there (tho there is a "dangle over the edge of a tall building" attraction), but fun to do anyway, and there's a hut that sells amazing chips near to the north ferry stop.
    Last edited by techno12; 23-09-2017 at 1:23 AM.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hi Everyone!

Just wanting to say thanks for all the recommendations, some of them were made well after our trip. We ended up with a rotten cold the whole time but made the best of it, we walked for miles and miles! We went to the Heineken factory, swung off the side of the A*Dam Lookout, did the sex museum went to the Stedlijk art museum and just pottered around for the rest of our trip. We tried AF house but honestly couldn't get near to getting in, loads of university students seemed to be there, I was sad we missed out.

550EUR was only just enough for us and we didn't do any shopping or buy anything to bring home (literally we brought home one pack of stroopwafels and a fridge magnet, no gifts for family etc). We didn't smoke anything or drink anything it was just so expensive to eat/any extra little bits we did, the tourist tax took a little of our money and some cough medicine was extortionately expensive but I was desperate as we had been so poorly! I guess with the £ being so poor at the moment that didn't help!

We loved our time but we're not in a rush to go again, we will go somewhere new next time!

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin