Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ElizabethJane
    • By ElizabethJane 31st Aug 17, 2:15 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 7Thanks
    ElizabethJane
    Best Utilities Deal - here we go again
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:15 PM
    Best Utilities Deal - here we go again 31st Aug 17 at 2:15 PM
    That time of the year when I have to try make sure I'm paying a decent amount for my gas and lecky and not through the roof. Took me about an hour to find the actual usage figures on N-power's website, my current provider. They kept offering me a new fixed deal which looked to be almost 50% increase on my current deal, which I might add ends today! My usage shows no great increase on 2016 but it's been almost impossible to get any provider to actually quote for my real usage. Their 'estimates', euphemistically called 'projections', always seem to be 10 - 15% more than the actuals i provide. Why? When I enquired with N-Power using their online chat facility they simply said words to the effect 'Yes, but we do only charge for your actual usage'. Right - time for a change; so I came here to consult Martin's 'Cheap Energy Club'. Economy Energy seemed to be offering the best deal suggesting a massive saving on N-powers next 12 month fixed deal. Sadly the numbers offered based on my actual usage fell far short of the real figure on the Economy Energy's website; they don't operate direct switching. So one day on and still no further on. What a bloody minefield for us old aged pensioners. [Removed]
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 31-08-2017 at 9:56 PM.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 31st Aug 17, 2:49 PM
    • 9,849 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:49 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:49 PM
    Many many OAP on here manage to swap suppliers multiple times .Just because you get to 65+ does not mean you are less capable than you where at 63 .

The unit price and daily standing charges are the key not estimated annual usage or estimated direct debits .
    Your actual usage is a guide of what you may use next year but no more than a guide .
    • ElizabethJane
    • By ElizabethJane 31st Aug 17, 3:30 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ElizabethJane
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:30 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:30 PM
    well of course i do understand - but my actual usage for last year is the best guesstimate of my real usage in the coming year - isn't it?

Many OAPs might be able to negotiate these changes - but sadly not many that i know. If my extremely numerate 65 year old sister, and her equally proficient partner, have never changed their supplier because it all seems so daunting and unnecessary, then i would guess that goes for many many more. I spent the time and generally end up paying a good deal less but a whole lot of people just get penalised because they can't spend the hours and hours that I do trying to understand how it all works.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 31st Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 31st Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 5:05 PM
    Most of my friends are well over the three score and ten, as am I, many have achieved four score and are still managing to walk and talk at the same time so why do people single out pensioners as well past it or incapable.

Most of us were in the era that invented computers and didn't need stupid little pictures to make them work.

We can read leccy, gas and water bills and work out the simple sums required to do our own comparisons rather than hoping that someone else will do it for us and then whinging if they dont get it right.

It's the youngsters nowadays that need their hands holding

I'm guessing that your sister and her partner are too lazy to do it rather than confused.
    Last edited by matelodave; 31-08-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • ElizabethJane
    • By ElizabethJane 1st Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    ElizabethJane
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1st Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    Well so great to know you're well up there with the cognoscenti and seem to thoroughly enjoy finding a bargain in the wonderly aladdin's cave of Utilities -

In my experience - as an IPAD trainer I should add - the confusion over utility shopping is not confined to the elderly. The same applies to nearly all my neighbours and friends. But then I suppose I'm living in some unique British town where we buck the trend.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    All my friends who are in their 30 s and 40 s with families are hopeless. with utilities .They understand how to use Facebook etc but do not know the meaning of "kwh " and a utility bill may as well be written in Japanese . .
    They have been paying top prices on standard tariffs until I helped them.
    To them an "estimated " monthly direct debit is the price they are happy with.
    In my experience as meter reader for 20 years that is typical, not unusual, of the majority in the UK.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 1st Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    Well so great to know you're well up there with the cognoscenti and seem to thoroughly enjoy finding a bargain in the wonderly aladdin's cave of Utilities -

In my experience - as an IPAD trainer I should add - the confusion over utility shopping is not confined to the elderly. The same applies to nearly all my neighbours and friends. But then I suppose I'm living in some unique British town where we buck the trend.
    Originally posted by ElizabethJane
    What sort of training do you need to drive an IPAD, obviously not the sort that enables you to count or use the inbuilt calculator functions if you can't use it to work out how much leccy or gas is going to cost.

Drawing pictures perhaps?, or using FaceAche or texting - nothing useful
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Lindagreenacre
    • By Lindagreenacre 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Lindagreenacre
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    Don't do it
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:30 AM
    You are mentioning Economy Energy as a cheapy. Late Autumn last year our deal with Scottish Power was coming to an end and although we have not had any issues with Scottish Power, egged on by MSE, I did a price comparison. Economy Energy came out as a good deal and I switched. Big mistake, for months there was no online site fit for purpose, they did not start taking my direct debits early enough, recognised their mistake and took two on consecutive days, ignored readings that I gave them and concocted an estimated bill, way in excess of the actual usage. They then put my payments up, which I fought against and although they are taking the correct amount by direct debit, the amount showing on the account dashboard is wrong. Several of the readings are missing, as are some payments and nobody in their departments seems to correspond with anyone else. The site is frequently under maintenance and as soon as possible, without paying exit fees, I will be jumping ship. They are an amateur company, trying to run with the big boys.
    Last edited by Lindagreenacre; 06-09-2017 at 9:33 AM. Reason: Additional information
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter