Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MariaZed
    • By MariaZed 31st Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MariaZed
    EE Contracts
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    EE Contracts 31st Aug 17 at 2:09 PM
    I had a hell of a job yesterday getting money back from EE for a tablet contract that expired in January 2017. I had thought it was due to expire in September so went online last week to check exactly when so I could note when I could "upgrade" to a SIM only plan. As it had expired I "upgraded" there and then online not expecting to have any grief getting a refund. However, reality was a completely different story and when I finally got the time to make the call, I was told that they were not legally responsible for notifying customers when contracts expired and they would not be refunding any monies. They saw absolutely nothing wrong with charging me a cost for the tablet (that I had already paid for in full) for an extra 7 months. I stuck to my guns and at the end of a rather lengthy conversation, in the middle of which I was offered 4 months' refund as a goodwill gesture for being a loyal customer, I eventually got the full amount refunded to my EE account (they would not refund to my bank account). Is this common practice amongst the providers, and I wonder just how much they make every year from people who do not put up a fight to get their money back?? It's really quite shocking that they can lay claim to that money.
Page 1
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 31st Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    • 4,946 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:26 PM
    You clearly have no clue on how contracts work.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 31st Aug 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:33 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:33 PM
    I'm afraid you had completely the wrong perception of your contract 'expiring', and your demands were unjustified. A contract may come to the end of its minimum term, but it doesn't end until the customer gives notice to terminate it, or asks for, receives and uses their PAC within 30 days. Since you had no right to receive any repayment from EE, at least having done so you could refrain from criticising them further.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 31st Aug 17, 3:11 PM
    • 7,490 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:11 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:11 PM
    Perhaps they haven't a clue about checking their bank statements either. Maybe they'd join the punters who notice a few years later and then complain had they not gone to do a so-called "upgrade".
    • wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 1st Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    I'm amazed the OP received a credit for 7 months!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 1st Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    • 7,490 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    It seems sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 1st Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    gycraig
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    It's a minimum 24 month contract it's not like a loan for a product it's a service agreement.

Amazed they gave you a refund tbh
  • Jenny_EE
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:49 AM
    I had a hell of a job yesterday getting money back from EE for a tablet contract that expired in January 2017. I had thought it was due to expire in September so went online last week to check exactly when so I could note when I could "upgrade" to a SIM only plan. As it had expired I "upgraded" there and then online not expecting to have any grief getting a refund. However, reality was a completely different story and when I finally got the time to make the call, I was told that they were not legally responsible for notifying customers when contracts expired and they would not be refunding any monies. They saw absolutely nothing wrong with charging me a cost for the tablet (that I had already paid for in full) for an extra 7 months. I stuck to my guns and at the end of a rather lengthy conversation, in the middle of which I was offered 4 months' refund as a goodwill gesture for being a loyal customer, I eventually got the full amount refunded to my EE account (they would not refund to my bank account). Is this common practice amongst the providers, and I wonder just how much they make every year from people who do not put up a fight to get their money back?? It's really quite shocking that they can lay claim to that money.
    Originally posted by MariaZed

Morning,

It sound like you’ve spoken with our customer services team and resolved this with them, however for future reference there’s no automatic termination of your contract at the end of your minimum term. EE requires a customer to get in contact to terminate a contract. This is outlined in the terms and conditions of your contract; http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/cancel-or-return/cancelling-a-contract-after-14-days

Thanks , Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin