Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Parkhall
    • By Parkhall 31st Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Parkhall
    Phone ringing fault - possible BT £130 charge
    • 31st Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    Phone ringing fault - possible BT £130 charge 31st Aug 17 at 9:53 AM
    My phone will not ring properly when connected to the normal socket. When I plug it into the test socket it rings perfectly.

So I assume that the fault must be in the Openreach master socket and I reported this to BT via their chatline. The BT guy suggests that the problem could be "my wiring" and that they would charge £130 if this is the case.

Surely the problem must be within the master socket and hence it must be BT's responsibility to fix it ?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 31st Aug 17, 10:08 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:08 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:08 AM
    If the phone works fine in the hidden test socket (when you take the bottom part of the master socket off) but not when the bottom part is connected then the problem is on your side.

What taking the bottom of the master socket off does is disconnect the extensions that are wired into the back of the socket. If your phone didn't work connected to the test socket then it's a BT issue. The socket is designed this way for this reason.

If the master socket / cable to the master socket was at fault the phone wouldn't ring at all, nor would you get a dial tone.
    • Parkhall
    • By Parkhall 31st Aug 17, 10:15 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Parkhall
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:15 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:15 AM
    Thanks Neil. So is it possible that I have a fault on an extension line ?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 31st Aug 17, 10:34 AM
    • 31,636 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:34 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:34 AM
    yes, if you look on the back of the plug in facia that goes into the test socket your extension wiring is there , there should be wires on connectors number 2 and 5 (3 used to be used for the "bell" wire but no longer needed

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 31st Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    • 31,636 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKTUF4UoEI

you don't need the special tool , a small flathead screwdriver will push the wires in
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Parkhall
    • By Parkhall 31st Aug 17, 10:48 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Parkhall
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:48 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 10:48 AM
    Thanks Neil & Browntoa - very useful to understand this.

I disconnected an old trailing extension lead which was connected to an extension socket in a back bedroom and the phone seems to be ringing fine now. I'm guessing a bit of corrosion at the socket/plug caused the problem.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 31st Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    cajef
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    you don't need the special tool , a small flathead screwdriver will push the wires in
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Sorry but have got to disagree with that, a screwdriver can and often does splay the connectors apart and can cause further problems, just buy a cheap IDC connection tool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDC-PUSH-DOWN-INSERTION-TOOL-RJ45-NETWORK-AND-BT-TELEPHONE-CABLE-SOCKETS-KRONE-/231871541214?epid=1088865332&hash=item35fc9eefde:g :5KIAAOSwh-1W3-xz
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 31st Aug 17, 2:57 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:57 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 2:57 PM
    If there is an unsolvable without engineer problem, it's probably cheaper to buy a set of connected cordless phones, so no extension is required.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 31st Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:04 PM
    Remember that cordless phones do not work in a power cut.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 14th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    decbel
    My phone will not ring properly when connected to the normal socket. When I plug it into the test socket it rings perfectly.

So I assume that the fault must be in the Openreach master socket and I reported this to BT via their chatline. The BT guy suggests that the problem could be "my wiring" and that they would charge £130 if this is the case.

Surely the problem must be within the master socket and hence it must be BT's responsibility to fix it ?
    Originally posted by Parkhall
    The problem lies in an extension/s.

They start at £130.............£
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,692Posts Today

6,383Users online

Martin's Twitter