Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jnthn
    • By jnthn 31st Aug 17, 7:22 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jnthn
    Overseas Repayments - Evidence of Income
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:22 AM
    Overseas Repayments - Evidence of Income 31st Aug 17 at 7:22 AM
    I am living overseas and have been making repayments for a few years on Plan 1 (1998-2005 loan type). I have now moved country and informed the SLC. They have in turn requested that I provide evidence of my income. As the repayment threshold is ridiculously low where I have moved I will end up paying a huge amount of my salary in repayments if the repayments are income assessed. Previously I just repayed the so called "maximum repayment amount" for the country I was in without providing evidence of my salary as this was much lower than 9% of my salary over that threshold (which was also ridiculously low). Now they are sending letters with threatening language saying I need to provide evidence of my income. Do I legally need to provide this? Before this did not seem to be the case. I would much rather just repay the monthly maximum as it is less than 150 GBP and costs of living here are quite high with few benefits from my employer to soften the blow.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 31st Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    _shel
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    I am living overseas and have been making repayments for a few years on Plan 1 (1998-2005 loan type). I have now moved country and informed the SLC. They have in turn requested that I provide evidence of my income. As the repayment threshold is ridiculously low where I have moved I will end up paying a huge amount of my salary in repayments if the repayments are income assessed. Previously I just repayed the so called "maximum repayment amount" for the country I was in without providing evidence of my salary as this was much lower than 9% of my salary over that threshold (which was also ridiculously low). Now they are sending letters with threatening language saying I need to provide evidence of my income. Do I legally need to provide this? Before this did not seem to be the case. I would much rather just repay the monthly maximum as it is less than 150 GBP and costs of living here are quite high with few benefits from my employer to soften the blow.
    Originally posted by jnthn
    Yes you need to provide it unless you want them chasing and threatening you and possibly family as I've seen in the past.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • jnthn
    • By jnthn 1st Sep 17, 3:30 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jnthn
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:30 AM
    • 1st Sep 17, 3:30 AM
    Yes you need to provide it unless you want them chasing and threatening you and possibly family as I've seen in the past.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Thanks. But I guess what I am asking is what am I legally obliged to provide? And what are they legally entitled to do if I do not provide evidence of income, other than charge me the so called "maximum repayment amount" (although called "minimum repayment amount"on their website) for the country I am in? On their website in a table they list the repayment thresholds. They also list the maximum (aka minimum) repayment amount per country and say: "this is how much you would be liable to repay each month if you did not inform us of your actual income while overseas." This seems to imply the penalty for not informing of income is making these repayment amounts?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 1st Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    _shel
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:11 AM
    Thanks. But I guess what I am asking is what am I legally obliged to provide? And what are they legally entitled to do if I do not provide evidence of income, other than charge me the so called "maximum repayment amount" (although called "minimum repayment amount"on their website) for the country I am in? On their website in a table they list the repayment thresholds. They also list the maximum (aka minimum) repayment amount per country and say: "this is how much you would be liable to repay each month if you did not inform us of your actual income while overseas." This seems to imply the penalty for not informing of income is making these repayment amounts?
    You need to pay a % of your earnings. If you fail to do that and fail to prove you don't need to by giving them the required documentation they can fine you, send bailiffs after any addresses they have for you, take you to court for non payment.
    • jnthn
    • By jnthn 12th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jnthn
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    You need to pay a % of your earnings. If you fail to do that and fail to prove you don't need to by giving them the required documentation they can fine you, send bailiffs after any addresses they have for you, take you to court for non payment.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Thanks. Do you have any evidence that this is the case. I am not aware of anything in the conditions of my loan or in law that says evidence of income HAS TO be provided if overseas. Rather that a minimum repayment HAS TO be paid if there is no evidence.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 13th Oct 17, 6:30 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    _shel
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:30 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 6:30 AM
    Thanks. Do you have any evidence that this is the case. I am not aware of anything in the conditions of my loan or in law that says evidence of income HAS TO be provided if overseas. Rather that a minimum repayment HAS TO be paid if there is no evidence.
    You realise the law isn’t split into law in Uk and law if overseas
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,756 Posts
    • 2,766 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    • 14th Oct 17, 10:47 AM
    Note the last sentence
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/RPIPG001/RPIPS001/RPIPS006/REPAYMENT_BOOK_EN_D.PDF

While you’re out of the UK, if you don’t
    keep your account details up to date or
    respond to our requests for information
    or evidence, you may be charged a
    fixed amount which could be higher
    than the repayment amount due based
    on your actual income. We may also
    ask you to repay the full amount of
    loan, plus interest and penalties, in one
    lump sum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,298Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin