Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James.Millar788
    • By James.Millar788 30th Aug 17, 9:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    James.Millar788
    Unpaid cheque Santander
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:33 PM
    Unpaid cheque Santander 30th Aug 17 at 9:33 PM
    Anyone else had a similar issue?

I paid just shy of £5000 for building work and was shocked to see that the money was returned to my account this afternoon saying that it was unpaid.

On querying it Santander said that I hadn't signed the cheque but I know I did because I'd taken a picture of the cheque before sending it. On saying that the agent quickly backtracked saying that I might not have had enough funds and after waiting whilst he confirmed I did. He said he'll have to review it in case I did something else wrong.

I forgot to ask but will the builder face a bouched cheque fee? Will Santander have any responsibility to offer compensation if it's their fault?
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 30th Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    • 24,005 Posts
    • 11,310 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    ........More likely IMO is that the signature on the cheque did not match that on their records or they did not have a signature to check against.

In cases like this you should not be charged a fee for the return.
    The builder's bank might charge him a fee.

When the builder confirms he has the cheque back why not send him the money by faster payment?
    No hassle for you and almost immediate clearance of funds for him.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • James.Millar788
    • By James.Millar788 30th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    James.Millar788
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    That makes a lot of sense I have written a lot of cheques with Santander so I am sure they have my signature but I guess all it takes is one over-zealous employee to get upset over my poor handwriting.

Can I ask Santander to cover the builder's fee?
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 30th Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    That makes a lot of sense I have written a lot of cheques with Santander so I am sure they have my signature but I guess all it takes is one over-zealous employee to get upset over my poor handwriting.

Can I ask Santander to cover the builder's fee?
    Originally posted by James.Millar788
    Either way, you'd think the pillock on the other end of the phone would be able to give a definitive answer, or at least say they weren't sure, instead of fumbling around for a reason that might be the case.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • James.Millar788
    • By James.Millar788 30th Aug 17, 10:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    James.Millar788
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:23 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:23 PM
    He says someone had written that I hadn't signed the cheque. After I told him I know I did as I'd picture proof he checked my balance and then when that was okay he said he'd need to see the cheque!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 30th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,244 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:02 PM
    You have a photograph of the correctly drawn cheque and proof that your accounts held the funds to meet it.

Santander have given inaccurate answers to your enquiries.

Make a formal, written complaint.

Explain to your builder what has happened.

When you get the unpaid cheque back, arrange FP?

Let's hope that Santander do not choose to delay the payment " for security purposes".
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 9th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    Could be different with business accounts but when someone wrote me a rubber cheque a few years ago I wasn't charged any fees. Never did get the money back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter