Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 30th Aug 17, 9:01 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 817Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    Is this buyers remorse?
    • 30th Aug 17, 9:01 PM
    Is this buyers remorse? 30th Aug 17 at 9:01 PM
    Completed today on our first ever home. When I got the call from the solicitor to say everything's done I was excited but now a few hours later I feel like a wreck!
    I don't know what's wrong with me! I loved this house when we viewed it. I loved it when I went back to measure after exchange but now I'm sat back in my rented thinking wtf have we done.

Is this really normal?? Does it pass? I'm never emotional but right now I'm feeling like I could burst into tears at any moment
Page 6
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 7th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Tiners
    I am and my wife is earning more. I have a very avg job within the public sector the wife is a nurse.
    Even if the avg is 3k-5k less there are cheaper houses in cheaper areas. It's still obvious that there are plenty of decent houses available quite cheaply all across the North West. What do you class as too expensive? My wife and i purchased a house for 130k which at the time was 3x our annual joint salary. Now it's more like 2.2x.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn
    So you've already revised your previous stated average income figure down by up to 18%... really convincing argument you're offering here!
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 7th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    So you've already revised your previous stated average income figure down by up to 18%... really convincing argument you're offering here!
    Originally posted by Tiners
    So you're not prepared to answer my questions or post anything which supports your reasoning. You're clearly not convinced about what you're typing, that much is obvious.

If anything my arguments even more convincing, because it's so easily affordable on an even lower wage than was previously posted. But if you want to pay off your LL's mortgage several times over, don't let my unconvincing arguments stop you.

Do you think what was posted is unaffordable?
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 7th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    Yes, I can`t really imagine it though, and neither can you because I have posted links to some of the places I`ve lived in, and you know they are not getting smaller and smaller, it is just that sensible rents can be found if you look for them. There is a difference between a bedsit and a flat, you have to understand this difference before other posters will take you seriously I`m afraid
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Nobody takes you seriously..... so, i'm unlikely to take any advice from the resident jester.

You have been renting for the past 20 odd years, so let's work this out.

240 months x avg rent £400 (likely more) = £96.000.00 + moving costs, we'll say £5k in costs over 20 years. for moving so frequently (being very kind to you).

£101,000.00.......

Cheapest bedsit to buy using Edinburgh as the search:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61363867.html

Property price £70,000.00
    Deposit £7000
    Annual interest 3.90%
    Repayment period 20 years
    Monthly repayment £379

So in all this time renting you could have bought this tiny apartment and saved yourself 20 yrs of future rent.

The cheapest rental available using search Edinburgh:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-61558957.html

£500pcm..... wow.

You must be livid, no wonder you post here all the time trying to pull people down just because they're getting on with their lives.

You'd need a crash of 100% and be given £20k in cash to break even.
    Last edited by Jack Johnson the acorn; 08-09-2017 at 12:38 AM.
    • Harper123
    • By Harper123 8th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Harper123
    To anyone reading this I bought my first house 4 years ago. In the six months leading up to buying I read this forum obsessively and Crashy scared the bejesus out of me. So much so I was almost convinced a crash was imminent and not to buy.

4 years later I'm on my second house. I made £60,000 on my first house (did no work to it whatsoever) and my current house is worth £30,000 more than I paid for it a year ago (based on the sold price of the house next door to me).

I currently have about £115,000 equity in my house. I started 4 years ago with £12,500.

If prices crash I will be just fine.

No one knows what's round the corner. Live your life. Do what's right for you. Not Crashy.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 8th Sep 17, 10:06 AM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    To anyone reading this I bought my first house 4 years ago. In the six months leading up to buying I read this forum obsessively and Crashy scared the bejesus out of me. So much so I was almost convinced a crash was imminent and not to buy.

4 years later I'm on my second house. I made £60,000 on my first house (did no work to it whatsoever) and my current house is worth £30,000 more than I paid for it a year ago (based on the sold price of the house next door to me).

I currently have about £115,000 equity in my house. I started 4 years ago with £12,500.

No one knows what's round the corner. Live your life. Do what's right for you. Not Crashy.
    Originally posted by Harper123
    Same here. Mine pretty much doubled in those 4 years (although I'd predicted that and ignored the doom-and-gloom-mongers. Just about to move so I can halve my mortgage to what a lot of people have on credit cards or loans, putting down around 90% of what I'm borrowing.

People should be buying a home as just that anyway - if you make money, fine, but just buy a home to live in that suits you. I certainly wouldn't be putting it off. A crash only really affects you if you have to sell - and even then, I've used it to my advantage a couple of times and bought bigger for cheaper.

A lot of buyer's remorse is just homesickness - it'll pass. I'm fully expecting to feel it, but once I start to appreciate the benefits of my next house, my current one will hopefully just be a lovely memory.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Nobody takes you seriously..... so, i'm unlikely to take any advice from the resident jester.

You have been renting for the past 20 odd years, so let's work this out.

240 months x avg rent £400 (likely more) = £96.000.00 + moving costs, we'll say £5k in costs over 20 years. for moving so frequently (being very kind to you).

£101,000.00.......

Cheapest bedsit to buy using Edinburgh as the search:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61363867.html

Property price £70,000.00
    Deposit £7000
    Annual interest 3.90%
    Repayment period 20 years
    Monthly repayment £379

So in all this time renting you could have bought this tiny apartment and saved yourself 20 yrs of future rent.

The cheapest rental available using search Edinburgh:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-61558957.html

£500pcm..... wow.

You must be livid, no wonder you post here all the time trying to pull people down just because they're getting on with their lives.

You'd need a crash of 100% and be given £20k in cash to break even.
    Originally posted by Jack Johnson the acorn

You really don`t get it do you?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time

Originally posted by Harper123

Crashy no posting here then though looks like you were so panicked you got your posters mixed up?
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 8th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 12,297 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Crashy no posting here then though looks like you were so panicked you got your posters mixed up?
    He might be confusing you with Brit123, who is also still renting and brooding bitterly I believe.

Nearly 4 years since I bought my house; my basic mortgage payment is less than the rent I was paying for a small one bed flat a decade ago. Also, in 4 years I haven't had to speak to a LL or agent ONCE. That is truly priceless.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    He might be confusing you with Brit123, who is also still renting and brooding bitterly I believe.

Nearly 4 years since I bought my house; my basic mortgage payment is less than the rent I was paying for a small one bed flat a decade ago. Also, in 4 years I haven't had to speak to a LL or agent ONCE. That is truly priceless.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly

Was the flat in London? How much were you paying? I guess the problems in the market are mainly affecting people who want/need to sell at a certain price at the moment....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4867114/One-sellers-forced-cut-house-price.html
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 10th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    Was the flat in London? How much were you paying? I guess the problems in the market are mainly affecting people who want/need to sell at a certain price at the moment....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4867114/One-sellers-forced-cut-house-price.html
    You need to move on Crashy, you've well and truly missed the boat, even when you are eventually "proven right" (like a stopped clock) and prices crash, they will have increased 200% and crashed 25%.

You've already lost if you sold to rent in the 90's.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    When someone posts a daily mail link on the internet a puppy dies somewhere in the world. Just don't do it.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Sep 17, 11:33 PM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    cjdavies
    May as well join,bought mine for £65,500 in 2007 (the year before the seller bought it for half), most likely the same now, houses in my street are not selling or very slowly.

Do I care? No, as I have no plans to move - I just can't be bothered, roof over my head that's what matters to me even though i hate the house. Also mortgage being only £197 is a bonus due to being 2% over the BOE rate
    Last edited by cjdavies; 10-09-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 10th Sep 17, 11:51 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41200686
    • purpleparrotuk
    • By purpleparrotuk 11th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    purpleparrotuk
    Why do you keep posting links on here? This thread started off on one topic any you keep posting random links nothing to do with it.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 11th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 12,297 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Was the flat in London? How much were you paying?
    It was in Earlsfield (zone 3) and ten years ago I was paying £875 per month for a 1 bed flat. Looks like you only get house shares for that budget these days.

My current basic mortgage rate (I overpay a lot) is under £800 per month, for a 2 bed house in zone 4.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • rae123
    • By rae123 11th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    rae123
    When I was looking to buy recently my mortgage was calculated as £150 less pcm than my current rent.

I feel sorry for OP, they just wanted some reassurance about their first house purchase and people are slating the thought of even purchasing a home.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Sep 17, 12:07 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,425 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I feel sorry for OP, they just wanted some reassurance about their first house purchase and people are slating the thought of even purchasing a home.
    Originally posted by rae123
    Generally just the one person...
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • By 02346631 11th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Why do you keep posting links on here? This thread started off on one topic any you keep posting random links nothing to do with it.
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk
    It's really quite sad isn't it. Surely you must have better things to do with your time Crashy?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Sep 17, 2:50 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Originally posted by purpleparrotuk

The article is full of "Buyers Remorse" from start to finish.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 5,233 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You can be as handwringingly despondent as you like, it won't do you any good. The "debt based money system" AKA western capitalism doesn't seem to have toppled yet, whilst its rivals, save for Cuba and North Korea, have come and gone.

My own view is that the property market is the next "big banks", will be similarly deemed 'too big to fail' and accordingly, will be bailed out at all costs.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

How will they do it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin