IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

HELP! Set aside hearing tomorrow!

I applied to have a parking fine set aside 2 months ago. I have just got the letter delivered today informing me the court date is tomorrow! Panicking like mad now. What do I need to take with me? I take it I dress smart. Anything in particular I need to say?

Comments

• This is do-able, albeit perhaps not ideal.

Since we don't know the circumstances it's very difficult to help, obviously. There are a number of threads on similar issues at the moment. Read them.

Is there any reason why you didn't respond? Did the PPC send papers to an address they ought to have known you weren't at?
  • Johnersh wrote: »
    This is do-able, albeit perhaps not ideal.

Since we don't know the circumstances it's very difficult to help, obviously. There are a number of threads on similar issues at the moment. Read them.

Is there any reason why you didn't respond? Did the PPC send papers to an address they ought to have known you weren't at?

My defence is that the pay by phone app wasn't working so frustration of contract. Neither did I receive the paperwork because the documents were sent to my old address. I updated my address with DVLA but forgot to update log book

I sent in a draft defence and supporting paperwork. Do I need to print this draft defence out again? Do I bring a copy for me and the judge?

Any advice on what to expect would be massively appreciated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 31 August 2017 at 5:42AM
    Couple of MoJ videos to show you what happens and what to do

Arriving : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyb4HYC5A8

In chambers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n93eoaxhzpU

Its just a simple business meeting but at the end ask that the cost of the set aside be refunded by the PPC. Judge likely to say no as there was "good service".

If he offers to set-aside if you pay the PPC would suggest you consider the offer. It may be easier than a rehearing even though you may not have been in the wrong.
    Do I need to print this draft defence out again? Do I bring a copy for me and the judge?

Yes take this and as regards only knowing about the date late, advise that too as it explains why you might not have everything to hand.
  • Thank you. That makes the process seem a lot less scarier. 10:45 today, eek!
  • System
    Community Admin
    You should be OK as it is Huddersfield (see your other threads which have hints)

It's also a very good defence too.
  • You should be OK as it is Huddersfield (see your other threads which have hints)

It's also a very good defence too.

is it? I didn't get any feedback on it so wasn't sure. That makes me feel better too. Thank you.
  • I was successful!
  • System
    Community Admin
    Good news. Was it DJ Barraclough? He's not a patient man when it comes to PPCs
  • nicolanicola
    nicolanicola Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 3:56PM
    Good news. Was it DJ Barraclough? He's not a patient man when it comes to PPCs

Is he not? I think so. I heard the usher mentioning Judge Barraclough. I googled him but couldn't find a pic of him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure