Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRAZY:HORSE
    • By CRAZY:HORSE 30th Aug 17, 7:54 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 6Thanks
    CRAZY:HORSE
    Redundancy Pay
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:54 PM
    Redundancy Pay 30th Aug 17 at 7:54 PM
    Okay I'll try and keep this short and simple! I have worked at the same place now for 13 years and over that time we have had several new employers for whom I have tupeed over. I have always had a contract up infill 3 years ago when my role was made obsoliet and I was offered a different position, still doing the same job might I add but I won't go into that, I was put on a zero hours contract even tho I work the same regular shift pattern. I did seek advice at the time and I was told that I could accept redundancy pay , which wouldn't have kept me going for long or take the position on a zero hours contract.

Since then I have tupeed over to another company working at the same place and obviously still on a zero hours contract!!

My question is to you helpful people is in the likely event of being told that my services are no longer needed would I be entitled to compensation for the reason that I have had 13 years continuation of work on a contract and just under three years on a zero hours contract.

Many thanks
    Last edited by CRAZY:HORSE; 30-08-2017 at 7:57 PM.
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 30th Aug 17, 7:59 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:59 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:59 PM
    I don't see how.

You are on a zero hours contact. They do not have to let you go, just stop giving you hours.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 31st Aug 17, 3:10 PM
    • 9,612 Posts
    • 7,610 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:10 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:10 PM
    Q. What's a dream for employers but a nightmare for employees?
    A. A zero hours contract!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 31st Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 29,755 Posts
    • 17,791 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 31st Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    It may not really be a zero hours,

you may still be an employee.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 1st Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 6,087 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    It may not really be a zero hours,

you may still be an employee.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    This I agree with!

If you are genuinely a zero hours worker, there is no entitlement to redundancy pay. The redundancy happened when you took the zero hours! But it's probably too late to get that redundancy pay!

You would have to be able to show to a tribunals satisfaction that the zero hours contract was a fiction and you are still an employee. Do you get paid sick pay and/ or holidays? Can you refuse to go to work? Can you decide to simply not turn up? You say you sought advice - from who?
    • CRAZY:HORSE
    • By CRAZY:HORSE 6th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    CRAZY:HORSE
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:08 PM
    I have my 28 days holiday still and I still work the same regular shift pattern! Just to make it clear it was my old employer that put me on a zero hours contract after my supervisor position was made obsoliet.
    I have asked my current employer which I tupeed over to about a contract but I've heard nothing! Surely for someone who has worked at the same place for all these years and working the same shift pattern shouldn't be on a zero hours?
    Thanks for the info!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin