Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 30th Aug 17, 6:58 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 5Thanks
    cezairs
    Sick Pay 12 Month Rolling Period
    • 30th Aug 17, 6:58 PM
    Sick Pay 12 Month Rolling Period 30th Aug 17 at 6:58 PM
    Hello All,

My employers sick policy is 30 days full pay followed by 30 days half pay in a rolling 12 month period.

I have had operations -
    Jan 2016 - Using 4 weeks / 20 days full pay.
    June 2016 - Using 2 weeks 10 days full pay and 4 weeks 20 days half pay
    Jan 2017 - Using 2 weeks / 10 days half pay, they extended half pay by 3 weeks 15 days and I had 1 week / 7 days unpaid.
    Aug 2017 - Another operation which I will need at least 6 weeks off work. But could be longer repending on recovery.

I have been told I shall get 4 weeks half pay and then nothing.

I cannot get my head around this 12 month rolling period. I have had 53 days sick in the last 12 months, with 21 days of half pay from my entitlement and then a further 15 they gifted me.

Am I being dim ?
    When would full pay kick in again ?

I have emailed our HR and the response was -
    "I will look at the pay query when I'm in work next; because it is accumulative or is unlikely you will get full pay but I need to check it out thoroughly before responding. I will try and do this ASAP for you so you know what's what"

Thanks for any help. (not normally this ill just a couple of years bad luck - last two ops are hip replacements)
Page 2
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    In the last rolling 12 months (Jan 2017) you've had 10 days contractual half-pay. (Ignore the additional "extra days" for now). So what about your entitlement to full days pay in that period?

I think HR are saying that because you've almost exhausted your entitlement during the last 12 months (except for the 20 days half-pay they say you can have), you aren't entitled to any more until 12 months after(?) your full pay entitlement expired (Jan 2018?).

Whether that's the correct interpretation, I don't know, but I think that's what they're saying.

Maybe it's me, but a rolling year seems unnecessarily confusing...
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I think you're on the right track, but wonder if the confusion arises by the use of the word "entitlement": it's not like a holiday entitlement which gets refreshed every year automatically

Instead, I wonder if they're thinking of it as a single clock counting down at 30 days at full pay, 30 at half, then the rest at no pay (then, arguably, the sack!). Any period of sickness less than 12 months since the last means you pick up wherever you previously were on the 30 days full/30 days half scale.

The only way you could "reset" the clock is to do a full year without sickness - hence the rolling 12 month period bit.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I think you're on the right track, but wonder if the confusion arises by the use of the word "entitlement": it's not like a holiday entitlement which gets refreshed every year automatically I used the word "entitlement" but agree it may be confusing. I agree that I can't quite understand how sick pay can be refreshed on a rolling 12 months period. I don't know why but it doesn't seem "right".

Instead, I wonder if they're thinking of it as a single clock counting down at 30 days at full pay, 30 at half, then the rest at no pay (then, arguably, the sack!). Any period of sickness less than 12 months since the last means you pick up wherever you previously were on the 30 days full/30 days half scale.

The only way you could "reset" the clock is to do a full year without sickness - hence the rolling 12 month period bit. I see what you mean, but that doesn't seem right either
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

I think HR are going to say that sick pay does not refresh until Jan 2018 (12 months after full pay expired).

I think the OP needs to re-check the wording of their contract and/or sickness policy.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Sep 17, 10:42 AM
    • 30,334 Posts
    • 18,137 Thanks
    getmore4less
    the last full pay was June 16 not Jan 17
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 7th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    You're right, sorry.

I give up!
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 7th Sep 17, 12:36 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    It gets worse -

I had this reply from HR -

You have had full pay, before you went off in January and when you returned in March – and it doesn’t start again until you return to work. Occupational sick pay is accumulative over the period i.e. doesn’t start afresh each time you start a new absence.

And any future absences will go back over the rolling year to determine future pay entitlements……

Does this make sense now ?

I then asked if a year was from 4/9/16 till 4/9/17 she said yes.
    Can you list the days /dates I have had that are included and I might understand it better.

In my head I think the last year is 4/9/16 to 4/9/17 and therefore I have had from 5th Jan till 1 Feb on half pay from my entitlement over the last year / 12 months ?

Her reply .....................

I will prepare something for your Nina, because if you say you had half pay from 5th Jan till 1st Feb then you would be straight into nil pay !

Be in touch soon for you….

• ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Ah, I think I get it.... sounds like for every day you're sick, they'll look back 12 months at what else you've had in that time. You get 30 days at full pay, another 30 at half, and anything after that isn't paid. So you could have had 45 days off in the past year, which, in year 1 would be 30 at full pay, 15 at half, leaving you another 15 days before no pay.

In year 2, some of those fully paid days will have dropped off the clock, so you could still have had 45 days off, but comprised of (say) 15 at full pay and 30 at half. You'd then get up to 15 at full pay again, before dropping down to no pay (assuming none of the half paid days had also been excluded from the calculation.

Goodness knows how they track that, which is probably why they're finding it difficult to explain!
    • cezairs
    • By cezairs 21st Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cezairs
    Thank you
    Thank you all for the imput.

Turns out the confusion is due to the fact they over paid me in January.
    All the communications I had didn't tie in with what I had been paid at the time.

I have emails stating my sick pay was as I have previously said.

Turns out they overpaid me and I might get even less now than originally stated.
    I knew I was having both hips done and didn't expect for one of the recovery's to have 4 weeks half pay to see me through what could possible be a 12 week recovery !

Teach me not to check my wage slips and query it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

7,324Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin