Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • London Town
    • By London Town 30th Aug 17, 6:30 PM
    • 295Posts
    • 387Thanks
    London Town
    How many bathroom towels do you have?
    • 30th Aug 17, 6:30 PM
    How many bathroom towels do you have? 30th Aug 17 at 6:30 PM
    Part of the ethos of "Old Style" to me, is looking for ways to simplify my life. One frustration I have, is that I feel I've got way too many towels - bath and hand size. I've yet to actually count them, but they fill half a standard size airing cupboard.

Now, I appreciate all house holds are different and I live alone (only one bathroom), with my partner staying at the weekend. My parents died a few years ago and I kept some towels when clearing their home, but they don't have sentimental value.

Therefore I'm left wondering, how many is too many?! A minimum for two people would be two hand towels and two bath towels, so one is in the wash, while one is in use, but that sounds a bit too extreme to me!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:28 PM.
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 31st Aug 17, 7:48 AM
    • 15,067 Posts
    • 61,278 Thanks
    Judi
    Wow, I feel a bit scummy now! We each have one nice bath towel and we have two hand towels in the bathroom. OH has kept his last 'nice' towel too, as he doesn't always hang his up to dry properly. They all get washed once a week. I have two spare sets for guests.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    No I'm the scummy one. I use a hand towel to dry myself with after a bath or shower. I dry every bit of me before I step out of the empty bath. Couldn't do that with a bath towel as it's a bit too heavy and big. I don't wrap the towel round me at all. A hand towel is just perfect.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • maman
    • By maman 31st Aug 17, 10:28 AM
    • 16,656 Posts
    • 99,488 Thanks
    maman
    3 of us. 6 hand towels, 6 bath towels. We dont really need 6 as i launder every day.
    Originally posted by Judi

No I'm the scummy one. I use a hand towel to dry myself with after a bath or shower. I dry every bit of me before I step out of the empty bath. Couldn't do that with a bath towel as it's a bit too heavy and big. I don't wrap the towel round me at all. A hand towel is just perfect.
    Originally posted by Judi

I do that too. A hand towel is fine for me. I have a bath robe if I need to get out quickly for any reason. We have one bath towel and 2 hand towels regularly in use: 1 hand towel for me and the others for DH. I wash them when needed, always at least once a week but otherwise just if they get a mark on them.
    • MaxPerwer
    • By MaxPerwer 31st Aug 17, 10:31 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MaxPerwer
    You can never have too many towels! They always get used. We have 2 bath sheets in our en suite with 2 hand towels, in the main bathroom there's 2 bath sheets, 2 normal sized towels and 2 hand towels. The downstairs loo just has the one hand towel
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 31st Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 11,797 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    If you're having a towel clear-out, contact your local dog/cat rescue centre as they make use of them for bedding.

It's handy to keep a couple of large old towels for emergency leak/spill situations; they're the quickest way of mopping up a puddle and if the liquid is dirty/stained you can bin the soaked towel without regret.

I find my mother is obsessed with buying me tea towels. How many does one person need?!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 31st Aug 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 5,167 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    We have about 4 bath towels and about 6 hand towels for the two of us. I don't use the 2 beige hand towels at all, but I keep them as they are handy if I need to take my cats or dogs to the vet unexpectedly and I have run out of pet blankets.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 31st Aug 17, 12:25 PM
    • 16,949 Posts
    • 25,853 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I'm surprised some find a bath sheet too large. Mine just overlaps now which is useful for going to the bedroom or living room to dry and dress. My husband and I use the same towels, why do others need one each?
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 31st Aug 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 27,326 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I have one, and wash it monthly!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 31st Aug 17, 12:35 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    I'm surprised some find a bath sheet too large. Mine just overlaps now which is useful for going to the bedroom or living room to dry and dress. My husband and I use the same towels, why do others need one each?
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    I use 2 bath towels, one for drying, one to wrap around my hair. OH has a bath sheet, I find it too big for me.

I wouldn't want to use a damp towel to dry off with, hence why we have our own.

We've got 2 complete sets of our combination (washed weekly), about 4 dark pink towels we had from when the bathroom was pink, one gets put on the floor to stand on when getting out of the shower.

We have several other old scruffy towels that used to be used for going to the gym. These double up as car protectors when cat has to go to the vets as she pees/poos in the carrier even though it's less than 5 mins away.

Plus 3 beach towels and 4 hand towels.
    • London Town
    • By London Town 31st Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    London Town
    I can understand why people like bath towels to wrap themselves up in. That makes complete sense. For me, I just towel off and then it's straight into a towelling dressing gown.

Thank you to a couple of posters who've suggested donating old towels to animal shelters. I have one I liaise with through my work and have passed on old towels before, so I would always support this option.

I've only thrown old towels away if they're a bit of a "Turin Shroud" and start disintegrating through being ancient. This only really applied to a few from clearing out my parents home. I imagine some of them were over 40 years old.
    Last edited by London Town; 31-08-2017 at 3:14 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 31st Aug 17, 1:32 PM
    • 9,683 Posts
    • 104,478 Thanks
    LameWolf
    There's just DH and me, plus any canine guest who happens to be staying, as we are Carers for a home-from-home dog-sitting service.

Four "good" bath towels - two in use (one each), two in the wash/ready to use.

Two "old" bath towels, for emergencies or can be loaned to dogs who forget their own towel.

About 10 hand towel size towels - one is always out in the kitchen and another in the bathroom. Can be loaned to small (Chihuahua sized) dogs if they forget theirs. Some of these are getting decidedly thin, and will be retired very soon. I also use an old hand towel on the seat of my bath lift, as it is very uncomfortable to sit on without it.

Half a dozen bar towels - the sort you used to see on bars before those horrid rubber mats became the norm. There were mostly won in the CAMRA tombola at various beer festivals, but I did buy one from Black Sheep Brewery when we visited in June.
    I keep one on the back of the kitchen chair for emergency wiping of hands, eg if the postman wants to deliver a package while I'm baking, and another wraps the free Tempur sample I use as a computer wrist rest.

One odd-sized towel, larger than a hand towel but not big enough for a bath, that I use to when using the wax bath for my feet (stops wax getting on the carpet).
    My husband and I use the same towels, why do others need one each?
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Because we share the bathwater. I need assistance when bathing in any case, and the end result is we're both getting dry at the same time, hence one towel each.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 31-08-2017 at 2:45 PM. Reason: odd SIZED, not odd sided. It didn't make sense so I felt the need to edit.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 31st Aug 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,902 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    Here by myseff but i've got loads and loads of towels, big. little, and medium. To many to count.
    • London Town
    • By London Town 31st Aug 17, 3:17 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    London Town
    Here by myseff but i've got loads and loads of towels, big. little, and medium. To many to count.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Out of interest Sam, why have you ended up with so many?
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 31st Aug 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    carlislelass
    2 of us now,3 bath sheets,8 bath towels, 6 hand towels. Only because they were left when boys moved out
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 31st Aug 17, 8:46 PM
    • 22,954 Posts
    • 88,532 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    1 bath sheet each, two hand towels each (one downstairs, one upstairs plus two in the cupboard) plus one manky stained towel for dying my hair or soaking up water on the floor from cleaning the washing machine filter. And one in my gym bag, which goes from gym to washing machine to back in the bag.

As the house is pretty warm, a lot of the time it's a quick dry after a shower - with a flannel or handtowel - and on with the bathrobe.

The bath sheets wrap around perfectly when needed (for example, when somebody else is staying or the bathrobes are in the wash) and dry easily draped over the banister - they're from IKEA, as are all of the towels/flannels, cost hardly anything, are dark colours and are washed without any fabric softener - they're in perfect condition after five years. The manky one was an expensive fluffy white one given as a present. It lasted about 3 weeks before it stopped coming clean in the wash and had its first holes in after 8.

My mother had approximately 50 assorted towels, all stacked up over the end of the bath because she didn't have anywhere else to keep them. Only the top 2 or 3 ever got used.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 31st Aug 17, 9:08 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    2of us here. 4 hand towels for the downstairs cloakroom kept on a shelf in there. Bathroom - 8 bath towels and 2 matching bath mats so I can change the towels twice a week and the bath mat once.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 31st Aug 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Five bath towels that all get used. Loads of small towels that get used as kitchen towels, tea towels, hand towels and bath mats so I have about ten of those a week to wash. A couple of dark brown bar towels as coffee machine wiper-uppers.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 6th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 727 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Wow, we never have enough towels especially in winter when it is too wet to hang them out and they take ages to dry in the tumbler. At any one time there can be 5 of us here having at least one, but often two, showers a day each, and apart from me they all want a clean/dry towel each time.

I have approx 15 bath towels and 6 bath sheets and have just ordered another 8. Hand towels we just have about half a dozen.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 6th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 22,801 Thanks
    jk0

How do you cope with one bath towel each though? what happens while it's in the wash?
    Originally posted by London Town
    Well, there's a whole week from Saturday to Saturday to wash it.
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 6th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    I probably have about 8 bath sheets, 12 bath towels and 20 hand towels as well as 5 old dog towels. Some of the bathsheets were engagement presents nearly 30 years ago. Dylon is my best friend. They were pale green originally, and then I dyed them mid grey when the bathroom was done in 2007. When we moved house last year, I dyed them a rich brown colour to tone in with the bathrooms in this house. The dog towels are all dyed burgundy to distinguish them when they come to the end of their useful life as normal towels plus I have now trained the family to reach for that particular colour if there is a plumbing emergency. (oh and 3 swimming towels as well)

If I have a full house, we can have up to 14 or 15 people staying here so it's practical.
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • andygb
    • By andygb 6th Sep 17, 3:22 PM
    • 11,671 Posts
    • 25,097 Thanks
    andygb
    We have a couple of bath sheets, four or five bath towels and about half a dozen hand towels. Those are the ones in mid green or cream. We also have lots of odd coloured towels including beach towels. I don't think we have any face towels at all.
    We are finding it really difficult to get new towels in a nice, subtle shade of green.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin