Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ivoryandgold
    • By ivoryandgold 30th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ivoryandgold
    No payment from festival job - how do I proceed?
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    No payment from festival job - how do I proceed? 30th Aug 17 at 12:41 PM
    Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me - I haven’t been paid for some work I did in June and I'm not sure where to go from here.
    I worked for a major music festival at the beginning of June - I was on site for 10 days for a flat fee of £810. I did the work and invoiced them (as instructed) on 20/6/17 for the full amount. No one got back to me so I chased this up on 13/7/17.

I then got instructed that I needed to be registered as self-employed (which I am not). I phoned the tax office to enquire about this and they said that because it was such a low amount, they would take the money-owed off my taxable allowance rather than have me register as self-employed. I got back in touch with the company on 17/7/17 to explain what the HMRC said – and I then sent them a copy of my new letter from HMRC which proved that I had accounted for their payment on 21/7/17.

On 25/7/17 I was e-mailed to say they will put me on payroll. I replied to the e-mail asking if there was anything I needed to do/anymore information they needed and I didn’t get a reply. On 8/8/17 I e-mailed asking for an update and got no reply. On 14/8/17 I asked for an update and got no reply. On 16/8/17 I managed to find a phone number and rang them. They said they needed more information to put me on payroll which I sent over in an e-mail that afternoon. I also asked whether I could be paid before the end of the month and they said that would be fine.

I asked for an update on 24/8/17 and got no reply. I asked for an update on 29/4/17 and again got no reply.

Does anyone know what rights I have in this scenario? I don’t believe they’re avoiding paying me – they’re just lazy and unorganised but this is causing me to have massive financial strain.

I’ve seen that I would have rights as a freelance self-employed worker, but as I am now going on payroll, I’m not sure what I can really say to them to make them take me seriously – or who I can contact to get this sorted out.

Any thoughts on this scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 30th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    basically either wait or take court action.

Whether your registered as self employed was never their concern anyway.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 30th Aug 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 2,397 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:11 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:11 PM
    I think they are stalling and you won't get paid. The questions they have asked are irrelevant. What does the hourly rate work out as. Is it under the national minimum rate? You may be able to complain to HMRC about low wage rate and get them investigated.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    I think they are stalling and you won't get paid. The questions they have asked are irrelevant. What does the hourly rate work out as. Is it under the national minimum rate? You may be able to complain to HMRC about low wage rate and get them investigated.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

Well it's £81 a day, which is fairly decent, would be working over 11 hours a day to fall under LW
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 30th Aug 17, 1:22 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:22 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:22 PM
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    He may but that won't help with getting paid!

OP, send a "letter before action" setting out what is due and giving them a short but reasonable time in which to pay (name a specific date in say three weeks time) failing which you will take legal action without further notice.

If need be file a small claims court action via MoneyClaim Online.
    Last edited by Undervalued; 30-08-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 30th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 5,950 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    If you have their phone number I would ring them everyday until it's sorted. Appreciate they are busy but sounds like you are not going to get anywhere until you start harrasing them. If they say they are going to pay on X day, I'd ring back the day after and just ask to confirm they are going to pay on X day, and if they say yes we said that, well say yes but you said that last month so I wanted to check it was set up...etc. Next day just ring back with another question like is there anyway to get it done by bank transfer because you've waited long enough...4th day Ring back and say I apprecaite you said it would go in on X day, but I've waited 3 months now and someone said I should send a letter before action...etc....just be super annoying.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 30th Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 18,977 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:57 PM
    How big are the company? Are they listed at companies house? (doesn't cost anything to check online) Did you have any paperwork relating to how much you would be paid, and when? If they said when they'd pay you, and have breached this, they are also responsible for any contingent losses (such as OD charges) - although you have a responsibility to minimise these.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • ivoryandgold
    • By ivoryandgold 30th Aug 17, 4:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ivoryandgold
    • 30th Aug 17, 4:09 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 4:09 PM
    Thankyou so much for your replies - I'll answer a few of the questions.

- I worked 12 hours a day so it works out exactly minimum wage, so I have no grounds there.
    - I've checked the contract I signed which said 'Fees: We will pay you the fee as agreed in the purchase order. Fees are payable within 14 days of submission of your invoice following the completion of an assignment'. Because there was a bit of confusion to start with I can get over this not being the case for the first 8 weeks really, but I feel like now it is going much too far.

I'm going to have a look at via MoneyClaim Online thanks, I think its more the threat of it (hopefully!) than actually doing it.
    • c-j-h
    • By c-j-h 8th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    c-j-h
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    OP

They are obviously being delinquent about the whole affair. If I were you I would find out the formal owner/operator of the business. i.e. The person if sole trader business or a director if it's a company.

As stated above I would just say you are owed money etc and threaten a claim in County Court if they don't pay within 10 business days.

Did they say they would employ you as self employed in the contract and that you were responsible for your own tax affairs? If so I would instruct them that you want to be paid the amount in full without any deductions.

If not file a claim with the small claims court. I personally would not use MoneyClaim or any similar service online as they are likely to take a significant cut. It's easy enough to file your own claim.

Write the letter in a formal manner and ensure it looks very professional. I would send it via email if you can and ensure receipt is acknowledged.

Best of luck with it and don't give up
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 8th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    OP

They are obviously being delinquent about the whole affair. If I were you I would find out the formal owner/operator of the business. i.e. The person if sole trader business or a director if it's a company.

As stated above I would just say you are owed money etc and threaten a claim in County Court if they don't pay within 10 business days.

Did they say they would employ you as self employed in the contract and that you were responsible for your own tax affairs? If so I would instruct them that you want to be paid the amount in full without any deductions.

If not file a claim with the small claims court. I personally would not use MoneyClaim or any similar service online as they are likely to take a significant cut. It's easy enough to file your own claim.

Write the letter in a formal manner and ensure it looks very professional. I would send it via email if you can and ensure receipt is acknowledged.

Best of luck with it and don't give up
    Originally posted by c-j-h
    Moneyclaim Online IS the small claims court!

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/ - Note the .gov.uk address
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 8th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    You may also be able to claim late payment interest:
    https://www.lovetts.co.uk/late-payment-law
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 9,639 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    According to the gov.uk website using Money Claim OnLine is cheaper than a paper claim
    • asajj
    • By asajj 8th Sep 17, 5:27 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 10,173 Thanks
    asajj
    Why you should go on payroll? You invoiced them and they should pay you?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 8th Sep 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    steampowered
    Don't waste any more time mucking about. Don't spend hours and hours trying to find the right person to contact.

Simply send a letter before action to the company's registered office (perhaps with a copy by email). The letter can be very simple: it should state the amount you are owed, explain that you haven't been paid and give them 14 days to pay up.

14 days is the timeframe recommended in the court rules.

If they do not pay in the 14 days, issue a claim against them through the moneyclaimonline system.

It is easy and cheap to issue a claim. You do not need a solicitor. Small claims are extremely effective at making companies pay up.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 9th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Did you work directly for this major music festival or as a sub contractor to a sub contractor.

You need to check who you worked for as plenty of pop up companies or bedroom run companys sub for the festivals and can end up owing lots of people.

Hope you worked for a reputable company.

Never thought id recommend Facebook..but several decent Face book security groups and a wealth of knowledge about what companies are any good and those to avoid,if your on FB might be worth a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,933Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin