Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Steve Fordham
    • By Steve Fordham 30th Aug 17, 10:47 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Steve Fordham
    Old Mortgage Company
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:47 AM
    Old Mortgage Company 30th Aug 17 at 10:47 AM
    When I took out my first mortgage in 1987 I had an endowment mortgage with Abbey National who then moved my mortgage to Woolwich who then moved to Santander. I have since payed off my mortgage. Do I simply contact Santander about possible PPI claim? I recently obtained a credit report but there is no mention of the mortgage companies involved. If anyone can help I would be grateful. Thankyou.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 30th Aug 17, 10:53 AM
    • 14,157 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    zx81
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:53 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:53 AM
    Why are you looking to claim (or complain) about the PPI?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,105 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    Do I simply contact Santander about possible PPI claim?
    MPPI was not commonplace in the 80s. It came about mid 80s but didnt go heavily sold until the early 90s onwards. Are you sure you had PPI?

In most cases, a late 80s mortgage with Abbey National would have had MIG paid (and many people mistake MIG for PPI), home insurance and life assurance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Steve Fordham
    • By Steve Fordham 30th Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve Fordham
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:17 PM
    On my credit report I see no mention of my mortgage since 1987 to 2015 so wondered if I had been paying for PPI without knowing. I was self employed before retiring.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    • 89,606 Posts
    • 56,105 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    On my credit report I see no mention of my mortgage since 1987 to 2015 so wondered if I had been paying for PPI without knowing.
    How would you not know?

The vast majority of MPPI is paid by direct debit from your bank account. Its one of the reasons why most MPPI complaints fail.

Some lenders did allow it to be paid with the mortgage but it was shown as a transaction on the mortgage statement. So, again, you can't have missed it.

I was self employed before retiring.
    it is point of sale that matters. Not what happens later. However, most MPPI covers the self employed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Jonormajo
    • By Jonormajo 12th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonormajo
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:29 PM
    I also had a mortgage with the Derbyshire now nationwide. I paid this off in 2002 was taken out in 1995. The nationwide wide says it can,t help me because it,s over six years ago us this correct
    • Jonormajo
    • By Jonormajo 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonormajo
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    Any response fa
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 32,283 Posts
    • 17,317 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    When I took out my first mortgage in 1987 I had an endowment mortgage with Abbey National who then moved my mortgage to Woolwich who then moved to Santander. I have since payed off my mortgage. Do I simply contact Santander about possible PPI claim? I recently obtained a credit report but there is no mention of the mortgage companies involved. If anyone can help I would be grateful. Thankyou.
    Originally posted by Steve Fordham
    National & Provincial, Abbey National, Alliance & Leicester and Santander are all linked.

Gateway Building Society and Woolwich became part of Barclays.

If you moved from Abbey to Woolwich that was your choice by remortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 32,283 Posts
    • 17,317 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    Any response fa
    Originally posted by Jonormajo
    Sorry for the lack of response in the five minutes provided.

Did you want this forum?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin