Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stressedtothemax95
    • By Stressedtothemax95 29th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Stressedtothemax95
    0 WOW
    New suitcase is 6cm oversized!!!!!
    • 29th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    0 WOW
    New suitcase is 6cm oversized!!!!! 29th Aug 17 at 11:31 PM
    Hi guys, I recently brought a lovely new suitcase - one of the nice 4 wheel ones that are so easy to push along! I spent out about £80 on this new suitcase however I've just found out it is 6cm too long. The airline I'm flying on (Thomas cook) size guide is 158 cm in total, mine equals a 164cm.

However when speaking to the Thomas cook rep he said it would be an extra £85 for the extra 6cm, he sent me a link to the price guide but all it showed was for extra weight?while it might be just a tad oversized it definitely will not be overweight! I have 15kg total and at the moment it weighs about 9kg. I'm only a way for a week to Greece and the majority of clothes are bikinis and light summer clothes.

If my suitcase is under the weight limit do you think I will get away with the extra 6cm? My hand luggage is very small so maybe I could compromise with them Lol! My friend who works at Swiss port said I will more than likely get away with it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of having an oversized suitcase measured or paid charges if they were in the weight limit?
Page 2
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 3rd Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pantaiema
    I've travelled a lot and never measured a suitcase ! Cabin bags, yes, but never hold luggage. I've never seen check in staff measure one either.
    Originally posted by meer53
    Me neither but it does specifically mention it in their t and c, would be good to know if it's actually going to be implemented though
    Originally posted by photome
    I have probably taken 100 flights all over the world during the past couple years, both short haul and long haul, premium airlines and budget airlines.

I've never had or seen a bag get measured.

My check-in baggage always gets weighed. My hand luggage has only been weighed twice: both times on long haul trips from Asia to London (but not on the other leg).

If you bring something like a surfboard that is obviously oversized you will get charged the oversized baggage fee, but I really doubt anyone would notice 6cm.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    If it is cabin luggage, in the past Ryan Air did measure the cabin luggage size with tape meter. But nowadays they do not measure it using a tape meter anymore but they ask people to put it in luggage sizer which looks like a blue metal box. The size of luggage sizer is the same size with the maximum size of free cabin luggage. You probably do not notice, but Ryan Air has luggage sizer in all gates they normally use for boarding in London Stansted. Ryan Air luggage sizer could also be seen in many other airports in the UK and Europe as well.

I have seen they ask people to put their luggage in the luggage sizer in a few occasions. If it does not fit they ask you to pay for it or you will be denied boarding on the plane. But of course they do not check it on every cabin baggage. But they might ask you to put it in luggage sizer if it looks oversize.

Ryan Air used to have a scale on the luggage sizer as well, but since a couple of years ago, I do not see them anymore. So if your luggage is a little bit more than 10kg (say 12kgs), there is no way they could charge you or deny you boarding if you refuse to pay as they can not prove it.
    Last edited by pantaiema; 04-09-2017 at 9:47 AM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 17,605 Posts
    • 44,823 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I used to have the most massive suitcase! No idea the actual size, but it has almost always been the largest that has ever come out on the belt!! I have travelled to Europe, Asia and the USA and never had it measured. I was also regularly over the weight allowance (by 1 to 3 kilos) and was never charged extra.

I wouldn't worry.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    But you're not the OP who's checking in the suitcase.

We can all say our luggage hasn't been weighed or measured but who knows who'll be on the desk when the OP checks in.

I'll have to measure our cases when we next get them out of the loft out of interest but they seem normal sized against others on the conveyer belt.
    And they've done a 4 week trip to China with temperatures from shorts & T-shirts to - freezing.

Why do some people want to lug massive suitcases about?
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Sep 17, 6:05 AM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 8,156 Thanks
    photome
    If it is cabin luggage, in the past Ryan Air did measure the cabin luggage size with tape meter. But nowadays they do not measure it using a tape meter anymore but they ask people to put it in luggage sizer which looks like a metal box. The size of luggage sizer is the same size with the maximum size of free cabin luggage. You probably do not notice, but Ryan Air has luggage sizer in all gates in London Stansted.gage. Ryan Air luggage sizer could also be seen in many airports in Europe as well.

I have seen they ask people to put their luggage in the luggage sizer. If it does not fit they ask you to pay for it or you will be denied boarding on the plane. But of course they do not check it on every cabin baggage. But they might ask you to put it in luggage sizer if it looks oversize.

Since a couple of years ago, I have noticed that they do not have anymore scale on their luggage sizer. So if your luggage is more than 10kg, there is no way they could charge you as they can not prove it.
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    The OP is asking about hold checked baggage not cabin bags
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 4th Sep 17, 9:44 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    HogMan
    they might ask you to change your suitcase, which mean you will need to buy a new suit case in the duty free shop in the airport
    Given that duty free shops are airside how would this ever occur?
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 4th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pantaiema
    Given that duty free shops are airside how would this ever occur?
    Originally posted by HogMan
    TBH I have not witnessed a person being asked to replace his/her suitcase, but this is just open as a possibility I would have taught that could happen.

It has been mentioned in the T&C and there is a compelling need to impose this rule as it is something to do with associated risk such as flight delay, someone might get injured.

It is not impossible to ask for a person holding a ticket to go to the airside of the airport and going back to the check in desk. Also what prevent their collegues, or even asking the store assistants to buy it on your behalf at the inflated price ??

Another possibility if the airport does not have a special conveyor for oversize baggage is to allow you to check in but you will need to pay a hefty fee for extra work someone need to carry your luggage manually to the plane

Missing your flight is not their concern. Why do the check in desk staffs need to take unnessary risk of getting fired if the case is going to the surface, to the press if for instance the suitcase got stucked on the conveyor belts causing delay, someone get injured as the result of going into the tunnel checking this.

This is a result of of a simple decision of allowing you to check in with the suitcase which is already against the T&C and does not seat comfortably on the conveyor belt.

But of course it is also your own choice if you want to take your chance of having a hardtime and/or missing your flight.
    Last edited by pantaiema; 04-09-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 4th Sep 17, 12:06 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    I had no idea that check in bags could be oversize

it does state the charge in the excess baggage charges all be it in dollars $110 if over 158cm and only payable at the airport it's in the link posted by shimrod

OP The only way you will know if you get away with it or not is by trying it .

Personally I wouldn't try it but I bet there is many that would and do
    Originally posted by photome
    You ever tried taking something longer than six feet on a plane?
    Airlines will carry it, but they may charge you a hefty fee for doing so. A friend took a full sports kit away this summer and got charged extra for doing it despite it fully qualifying for the airlines "Sports equipment" guidelines, and yes, it was bigger than six feet long.

OP - It's unlikely they'll measure it, if it will fit down their conveyor belts they probably won't notice it's all of 6cm too big. If they do notice, they'll make you take it to the oversize luggage bay. When I travelled during the summer, my sports kit item was oversized (hugely), I wasn't charged extra for it I only had to take it to a different area once they gave it a tag.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 4th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 10,598 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    You ever tried taking something longer than six feet on a plane?
    Airlines will carry it, but they may charge you a hefty fee for doing so.
    Originally posted by HonourlessWeasel
    I'm 6'1" and I've never yet been stopped from getting on an aircraft!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 17,605 Posts
    • 44,823 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm 6'1" and I've never yet been stopped from getting on an aircraft!
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    But wouldn't you be described as someone rather than something?
    • headpin
    • By headpin 4th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    headpin
    Most airlines I have ever flown with, mostly scheduled have a baggage weight and size indicated somewhere on their website. For instance Virgin Atlantic have the following for suitcase dimensions

Dimensions per bag Up to 90 x 75 x 43cm / 35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins.

http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/baggage-allowance/check-in-baggage.html

However, I can never recall anyone having their checked hold baggage measured. But I expect if it was obviously in excess by a huge amount you may be pushing it.

But then charter or schedule using what to all intents I see charter are well known for boosting revenue. But I cannot see an issue.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 39,451 Thanks
    FBaby
    Well, there are airlines staffs who do not bother to measure. If your suitcase is massive and it has not got measured to this date, it does not mean it will not in the future.
    Obviously! But I'm talking about 10 years of travel with that same suitcase (which I have to say was an amazing deal as it still looks like the first day!), flying between 2 and 5 times a year, anything from BA to AF, to Ryan Air (by far the more difficult), Norwegian, a number of American companies etc... and as said, not once was my case measured.

Of course, it doesn't mean that OP might be very unlucky when I've been incredibly lucky each time, hence not saying 'You have nothing to worry about' but 'I wouldn't worry'.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 16,622 Posts
    • 99,275 Thanks
    maman
    Any chance you could return the suitcase from wherever you bought it and exchange for one that fits OP? I'll be measuring ours when I next use them just from curiosity but, to me, it's just a normal suitcase, probably relatively small compared with some. I've seen some at airports and in shops that look like huge cabin trunks on wheels. My suitcase has been all over including USA with no problems but that doesn't help OP.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 17,605 Posts
    • 44,823 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Ours are medium Tripp.
    The large looks pretty big, no idea how that compares to the one the OP has bought.

Big suitcases are usually heavier when empty which cuts into your hold allowance.
    There's the tendency to fill up the space which might cost you if you go over your weight allowance.
    And the case has to be lifted onto the scales at the airport and off at the other end.
    And possibly lifted into a car boot or onto a train.
    I think clothes in a full case travel better than in a half empty one.
    Lots of cons to buying a big case, regardless of how lovely you think it is.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 4th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Contessa
    BA is quite generous with it's hold luggage allowance-23kg.

I've flown onwards with AA and they have the same weight but have a volume limit (sorry, can't remember what it is but I did measure my case to ensure it complied)

Last year I flew with Flybe on a domestic route. Just hand luggage. I thought the permitted size was much smaller than other airlines. My smallest case was a few centimeters over so I called to ask if this would be OK. Not surprised to get a noncommital answer-might be, might not be.

So, I bought a tiny and very cheap one from T***o. Actually less than the permitted size.

Once onboard I understood the size restriction as with that particular aircraft the overhead lockers were very small.

Much to my annoyance as I joined the boarding queue
    I noticed other passengers with much larger carry on baggage-and one of the largest even had had a large label stating something like "Flybe compliant"

Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by Contessa; 04-09-2017 at 9:54 PM. Reason: Added text
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 16,622 Posts
    • 99,275 Thanks
    maman

Make of that what you will.
    Originally posted by Contessa
    What I make of it is that airlines and airports seem to make it up as they go along. Sometimes they enforce rules, sometimes they don't. It's not just suitcases it's any number of other things.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 4th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    headpin
    What I make of it is that airlines and airports seem to make it up as they go along. Sometimes they enforce rules, sometimes they don't. It's not just suitcases it's any number of other things.
    Originally posted by maman
    Often they will let you fly out and catch you on the return, knowing you ate pretty well snookered and will pay up.
    • headpin
    • By headpin 4th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    headpin
    BA is quite generous with it's hold luggage allowance-23kg.

I've flown onwards with AA and they have the same weight but have a volume limit (sorry, can't remember what it is but I did measure my case to ensure it complied)

Originally posted by Contessa
    From BA site:

British Airways, OpenSkies and BA CityFlyer flights

A checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in), including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

AA website =

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked baggage allowance is:

Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
    Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
    For First / Business Class and Brazil, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

So as I have previously indicated most if not all airlines have a size limit on checked baggage. Just look on the websites.
    • konark
    • By konark 6th Sep 17, 1:46 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    konark
    Are you sure your case is 164cm? that's the height of an average woman, it would be a monster.
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 6th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    stephb34
    I checked someone's tickets yesterday and Air Transat had measurements for the hold luggage suitcase. Must admit its the first time i'd seen it.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 39,451 Thanks
    FBaby
    Lots of cons to buying a big case, regardless of how lovely you think it is.
    The main advantage of course if to pay for only one suitcase! Then when I was travelling with the kids when they were younger, it was a lot easier to be in control of one than having to monitor what they were doing with theirs (a friend of mine realised when she got to the hotel that her DS had left his suitcase in the airport when they were waiting for the taxi!).

This suitcase has been fantastic, big but very sturdy and easy to maneuver with 4 large wheels. However, now that the kids have grown up and it's rarely the four of us travelling together, I've gone for one of those extra light one, still big but not as big.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Sep 17, 5:07 PM
    • 17,605 Posts
    • 44,823 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The main advantage of course if to pay for only one suitcase! Then when I was travelling with the kids when they were younger, it was a lot easier to be in control of one than having to monitor what they were doing with theirs (a friend of mine realised when she got to the hotel that her DS had left his suitcase in the airport when they were waiting for the taxi!).

This suitcase has been fantastic, big but very sturdy and easy to maneuver with 4 large wheels. However, now that the kids have grown up and it's rarely the four of us travelling together, I've gone for one of those extra light one, still big but not as big.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Most of the flights we take either have hold luggage included or are hand luggage only.

As we don't have kids 2 small cases are more convenient for us.
    And with 2 smaller cases I can pack our clothes half-and-half (a concept that appears to surprise most people) so if one goes AWOL we have enough stuff each to manage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,079Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter