Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Welshyyyyy
    • By Welshyyyyy 29th Aug 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Welshyyyyy
    Advice please 're redundancy and tupe terms
    • 29th Aug 17, 9:27 PM
    Advice please 're redundancy and tupe terms 29th Aug 17 at 9:27 PM
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or point me in the direction of who I need to speak to please. This is regarding potential redundancy and what I may be entitled to.
    The situation is...I was working for a company for approx 14 years, then 6 years ago we were bought out so I tupe'd over to the new company. After about a year I was promoted, and was told that because I was being promoted I was now under the new companies terms and conditions and that the tupe conditions didn't apply any more. I immediately lost my 4 days a year extra leave that I had accrued with the previous company. I complained at the time but was told to take or leave the job if I didn't agree to the conditions, so as it was a promotion I didn't really have a choice. Anyway fast forward to today and it looks likely that I may be made redundant in a month's time, and I was wondering if the loss of my tupe terms when I was promoted was "correct" and if so am I then only entitled to the current companies redundancy terms (which are a lot worse that the original company's terms)
    Also it looks like I will get one weeks pay for each year worked (I assume my total years worked for both companies will be joined up)?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Page 1
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 30th Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 7:57 AM
    You have accepted a new job on a new contract, this is perfectly acceptable and normal, I'm sure you received more money for the new role which compensated you for the 4 days lost leave.
    • Welshyyyyy
    • By Welshyyyyy 30th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Welshyyyyy
    • 30th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    Agreed, it just seems very unfair and unjust that I'm now working alongside colleagues who haven't been promoted but are on substantially better holiday, pension, redundancy terms than me, yet we work for the same company
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 30th Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 3,738 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    Agreed, it just seems very unfair and unjust that I'm now working alongside colleagues who haven't been promoted but are on substantially better holiday, pension, redundancy terms than me, yet we work for the same company
    Originally posted by Welshyyyyy

so you WILLINGLY swapped 4 days holiday/pension/redundancy pay for extra salary, and accepted those changes for 5 years, and now want to complain?

Are you going to offer to give them the extra cash you've earned over the last 5 years as part of the promotion back? Thought not.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 30th Aug 17, 12:13 PM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 5,132 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:13 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:13 PM
    Originally posted by Welshyyyyy
    I've worked for IT companies which are in the habit of TUPEing in employees from organisations that have decided to outsource work to the, As a result you could find that in an office of a dozen people every single one has different T&Cs. It's all perfectly acceptable.
    • Peelerfart
    • By Peelerfart 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Peelerfart
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    "Also it looks like I will get one weeks pay for each year worked (I assume my total years worked for both companies will be joined up)? "

I to worked in IT, have been "TUPE'd" and have recently been made redundant. I believe it is the norm,certainly in my case, for the total years to be, joined up.
    If not, check this.
    Space available for rent
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 29,763 Posts
    • 17,799 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    TUPE only protects at the point of transfer, it is easy for an employer to change the terms ie. no pay rise unless you go to current companies T&C's.

Bit late to realise you did not think through the impacts of the promotion fully before accepting.

The one thing they can't remove/change is length of service and you age for statutory redundancy payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin