Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twink1108
    • By twink1108 29th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 7Thanks
    twink1108
    Decorating outside of house in new development
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    Decorating outside of house in new development 29th Aug 17 at 8:17 PM
    Hi,

We're in the process of buying a new build house. It's freehold but there are leasehold flats in the development and all of the houses have matching brown wooden panels around the outside of the front door which we really don't like! What are the rules on changing the colour of these (e.g. Painting it white!)?

We're in a new development at the moment but in flats and all of the houses in the development have grey fronts and nobody has changed them after 3 years so I'm wondering if there are some rules to keep them all the same even though it's freehold!

Thank you
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 29th Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    • 41,096 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    G_M
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    I cannot read the terms of any leases, nor the covenants built into the Titles of any freehold properties.

That's where the answer will be!
    • twink1108
    • By twink1108 29th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    twink1108
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    Ah okay so even though it's freehold there can still be rules written about things like that? I wonder how common that is for new build developments to have rules where they must stay uniformed.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 29th Aug 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:36 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:36 PM
    Many new build freehold developments have restriction in the deeds. We are not supposed to change the colours of the garage doors, nor the colour of the fences but some owners have and no action has been taken.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    • 31,634 Posts
    • 37,326 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    I can't change my windows , change the colour of the front door or fix things to the front of the house

All the sky dishes must be on the roof
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • twink1108
    • By twink1108 29th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    twink1108
    Oh what a pain. I am guessing this will be the case then. Brown was a bad choice, it ruins the outside!
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 29th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    Contessa
    • 29th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    It's bad enough decorating the inside of a house without doing the outside as well!
    • twink1108
    • By twink1108 29th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    twink1108
    • 29th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    It's literally just a panel around the front door, wouldn't want to do the whole front but annoying that we probably can't even if we did want to! We moved into our flat when it was brand new and haven't decorated a thing in 3 years so chances are it wouldn't have been a priority anyway
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 30th Aug 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,886 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 30th Aug 17, 8:04 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 8:04 AM
    I can't build a porch, or use my back door as my front door
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Aug 17, 8:25 AM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 13,414 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Oh what a pain. I am guessing this will be the case then.
    Originally posted by twink1108
    You don't have to guess. READ THE FLIPPIN' PAPERWORK.
    Any covenants are going to be listed in the paperwork your solicitor gave you. If there's none (yet?), then spend the few quid to get the authoritative paperwork from the Land Registry's website.

Brown was a bad choice, it ruins the outside!
    What colour was there when you bought? If you bought without seeing the built properties, what colour was on the artist's impressions?
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 30th Aug 17, 8:30 AM
    • 23,836 Posts
    • 50,489 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    These things are done by developers to keep control of the appearance of the site while construction is in progress. Once the final property is sold the developers won't care what you do.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 30th Aug 17, 8:34 AM
    • 59,969 Posts
    • 350,559 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    As has been said, you need to read the deeds (those pesky fat documents you didn't read and just signed when you were buying it).

In there will be the restrictions, covenants etc you have to adhere to.

However - even with restrictions and covenants, you are still free to "wing it" if you are prepared for somebody to take umbrage over what you've done and make a noise about it.

On the balance of probability it is likely that even if your deeds said you had to leave it as is, if you actually DID change it, you then just have to balance out the cost/hassle -v- being prepared to reinstate it if somebody makes it an issue.

So, I'd say: get/read your deeds, so you know exactly what you bought into. This will be important anyway as your neighbours might do something that you disagree with that is prohibited in your deeds, so then you'd have the knowledge to be able to pull them up about it....

Then .... go ahead and do what you want, if you're prepared to suck it up if you get caught out. Don't fight it if you're in the wrong - just take on board the potential for it at the outset.

I doubt though, on balance, that your estate will say you can't do what you want with that bit of the frontage.

I live on a small estate with many restrictions/covenants and can point out where at least half the houses have broken them in some way or another - all obliviously as "nobody reads that stuff" and it appears only I have read every page of the fat documentation.

Typical things also include the sort of vehicles you are allowed to park, whether you can have a shed, needing PP to put up conservatories or summer houses and what plants you can change/remove from the initial planting scheme. They will also give you boundaries, responsibilities and include a myriad of funny little things, such as pathways/rights of way etc.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 30-08-2017 at 8:39 AM.
    • twink1108
    • By twink1108 10th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    twink1108
    We haven't read it because we haven't received it yet. We haven't exchanged contracts yet. And a brown panel around the front door isn't enough to put us off of buying what is otherwise our dream home, I would just rather change it if it's possible but I am sure I'll find out whether or not it is once we receive all the relevant paperwork.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 10th Sep 17, 6:31 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    ThePants999
    It's like LandyAndy said - once the builders have sold the entire development and forgotten about the place, they'll stop caring about what you do.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 41,096 Posts
    • 47,242 Thanks
    G_M
    Though the neighbours might care. Or not.

Have you asked the developers about this? They will know the answer far better than us!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,677Posts Today

5,940Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin