Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 29th Aug 17, 6:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AHolland17
    Worfield retail park Bury
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:21 PM
    Worfield retail park Bury 29th Aug 17 at 6:21 PM
    Hi there,
    I have just returned home to a parking charge notice issued by parking eye for overstaying in woodwinds retail park by 36 minutes.
    I read through the pinned post but am somewhat confused due to the differences between Scotland and England. I live in Scotland but was visiting my in laws in Bury. We regularly Park there when we go shopping and this is a first for me. I have no receipt for the shops though my Internet banking shows a transaction made in tesco. We did have a leisurely walk around all of the shops etc but feel this is a little unreasonable.
    Any ideas on what to do next really appreciated.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 29th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AHolland17
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:23 PM
    Apologies for the spelling, I meant woodfields retail park. My mobile is not playing ball...
    • Redx
    • By Redx 29th Aug 17, 6:29 PM
    • 15,546 Posts
    • 19,637 Thanks
    Redx
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:29 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:29 PM
    no keeper liability in scotland and a different court system, different laws (or lack of laws)

in Scotland , its IGNORE the ppc and ignore the debt collectors too

or the RK could use the blue text template appeal, then IGNORE after that if its not cancelled by PE

a complaint as KEEPER to the MA of the car park (or store) may also get a cancellation, if store receipts can be found (or bank statements)

NEVER reveal who was driving !! at all
    Last edited by Redx; 29-08-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 29th Aug 17, 7:01 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AHolland17
    • 29th Aug 17, 7:01 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 7:01 PM
    Thank you. So that's because I reside in Scotland even though this happened in England? Brilliant. I must say it is all a little unnerving so is no wonder they make their money with people paying up.
    • ezerscrooge
    • By ezerscrooge 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    ezerscrooge
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    Get in touch with Rochelle Bailey at British Land. She is known to cancel them even for long over-stays. The only problem arises if it gets to POPLA stage as PE then refuse to cancel (even on her say so), though I am mindful that POPLA is not available for Scotland.

Rochelle is the one who brought PE in to 'manage' the site to deter all-day parkers and the she has said the intention was never to clobber genuine users of the retail park. You will get a response if you send a nice e-mail (though may take a while), and she does offer to have the tickets cancelled...

Rochelle.Bailey@britishland.com

Chris Grigg is the CEO of British Land - do cc him in.

cr@britishland.com
    • Edna Basher
    • By Edna Basher 30th Aug 17, 2:17 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 1,517 Thanks
    Edna Basher
    • 30th Aug 17, 2:17 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 2:17 PM
    Given that this incident took place in England, POPLA will be available even though the registered keeper's address is in Scotland.

Equally, ParkingEye could (in theory) claim unpaid parking charges from the registered keeper, subject to their compliance with POFA. However, the difficulty of having to do this via a Scottish Court is probably enough to deter them from doing this.

The first thing to do is always to try to get the landowner to cancel the PCN.

If the landowner is unwilling /unable to cancel, the option is still open for the keeper to "appeal" the charge up to POPLA (without revealing who was driving). This could be worthwhile - especially if ParkingEye's Notice to Keeper is their non-POFA variant i.e. an easy win at POPLA.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 30th Aug 17, 11:21 PM
    • 50,190 Posts
    • 63,581 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:21 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 11:21 PM
    Is it a non-POFA PCN, AHolland17? Look on the back, does it mention POFA 2012 and 29 days?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 7th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AHolland17
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    It does say this warning is given to you under paragraph9 2f of the protection of freedoms act 2012
    • AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 7th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AHolland17
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    Thank you. I will do that immediately. I have just had a reminder through which states I had until today to pay or the fine will increase. I am panicking as I have so much going on, including preparing for a house move, I forgot to check back on the issue or would have seen your help sooner. Thank you.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 50,190 Posts
    • 63,581 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    The deadline about the 'increase' is stated in the NEWBIES thread to be of no concern to a person appealing. It's a bribe to stop people appealing, so they can line their pockets for no outlay. There is no ''discount'' except paying zero.

14 days means nothing. You have 28 days to appeal.

However, on balance I would NOT appeal to POPLA (as you are in Scotland) but try a complaint to the onsite landowner/retailer/facility.

The reason not to appeal to POPLA, is you don't necessarily have a slam-dunk winning POPLA appeal for overstays, and if you lose, ParkingEye are more likely to single you out as they will have expended money on POPLA. If you were in England a court claim would be likely but in Scotland, far less so.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 07-09-2017 at 2:18 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• AHolland17
    • By AHolland17 7th Sep 17, 2:27 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AHolland17
    OK. Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate the help, I guess it is just unnerving to have something so official looking essentially threatening you. I'm not one for usually breaking rules etc.
    I have emailed Rochelle Bailey and hope that she can assist.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 50,190 Posts
    • 63,581 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You are far 'safer' from a potential claim in Scotland and are outside of the jurisdiction of the English courts, so that's enough to put PE off, I would expect. If they singled you out for a claim they could not use MCOL and would have more of a task on their hands.

To remove the worry I'd really PUSH the complaint...be a thorn in their side. Get your MP onside as well if need be, MPs know about this cowboy industry.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,300Posts Today

9,285Users online

Martin's Twitter