Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 29th Aug 17, 5:11 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 180Thanks
    Magpie100
    Too much month at the end of my money...
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:11 PM
    Too much month at the end of my money... 29th Aug 17 at 5:11 PM
    As the above says - I have too much month at the end of my money, every single month. I always enjoy reading this board and feel like I could do with some accountability and motivation in managing my money. I also feel a bit of a fraud posting here as my current debt is low-ish (£1700 on one card) and I have quite a lot of savings (more on this later) that I could clear it with. BUT. I know what I am like and I really want to try and pay this card off and sort out my finances the hard way. If I just pay it from my savings I won't have to stop and think about why I seem to struggle to get through the month. I do know why, actually, but I think I am in denial about the reasons.

My feeling is that our attitudes to money and saving are really complicated, and until we try and unpack the reasons why we behave as we do we'll be caught in an endless cycle. This credit card has been hanging over me for so long and in some ways it's a security blanket.

I'm off work this week which I am very excited about - we have been lucky enough to go away on a lot of lovely holidays over the last few years but I am so pleased to be having a week at home. I have made a list of things I want to achieve, and I really want to try not to spend too much. WHich will be difficult. I feel as if I don't often have time to do all the things I want, so when I DO have time I tend to do everything in one go and SPEND MONEY.

So, I will go in to more background details in further posts. Today has been spendy but productive. I have sorted the shed and conservatory for winter, and tomorrow when it rains I am going to declutter the house (as much as I can - it's a big house). I have spent £34 in Aldi, £6 in Halfords (screen wash and antifreeze) and £15.50 in Decathlon on trainers and a top (warning: I can justify spending any amount of ££ on exercise gear). I also left my bike in Decathlon for a service (more on this later) which I am told will be £17.But when I collect it tomorrow I'll also need to get some lights for it.

I came home for a lunch of leftovers, though, and even took a bottle of water with me when I went out. Some things I am really disciplined on, others...not so much.

Right. I feel better for having started this. I want to clear this debt, but I also want to understand WHY I spend as I do. Thanks for reading!
Page 2
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 15th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    PAYDAY.

While this is a relief in many ways I also know it is a big trigger for me. Money comes in and a lot goes out immediately, and then I get the urge to SPEND. In many ways I am far, far better at being Money Saving in the last two weeks of the month because I HAVE to focus. Whereas for the first two weeks I feel a compulsion to not have money in my current account. And as noted I am caught up in a cycle of binge-restrict-binge. I want to stop this.

So, today was pay day. I have sent OH £970. This is for my portion of the household bills this month, plus £100 towards the Cambridge weekend and £100 for our week in Wales in October. One good thing is that this month I calculated what things I would be paying for in the next couple of weeks and deducted half those spends from the money I sent to him. He is very, very generous to me but if I don't deduct the ££ I always end up paying everything for cat food or the window cleaner etc through lack of organisation.

I have spent £75 on cat food (half paid by OH)
    £89 on registering on a house sitting website (half paid by OH). We holiday a lot and getting a house sitter each time for £89 over a year is cheaper than the £16 a day it costs to have two pet sitter visits otherwise.
    £55 on my share of the lock fittings.

I have spent £20 on MorrocanOil for my hair. I absolutely love it and now buy nothing else for my hair, It usually lasts 3 months, so not too awful.

I have moved £400 in to my Mondo account. This is to try and separate out my 'available' spending money from my direct debits. I really like it because what I spend comes off the balance IMMEDIATELY - so I always know exactly what's available. With my bank account I always 'forget' something I've paid for and then it 'suddenly' is debited from my account. I know, this is a failing on my part - there should be nothing unexpected about this! So I am hoping that this will make it easier for me to budget.

From the £400 today I have spent:

£1.40 coffee (this should be the final coffee as from next week I intend to make my own).
    £2.15 breakfast (once a week I have breakfast from our canteen; the rest of the week I bring my own in. At one point I bought toast EVERY DAY but now I have a fry up once a week as a reward for getting through the week).
    £4.80 on a pint at lunch. I go out with this group of colleagues about once a month and it keeps us sane.

Tonight I should be in and I hope will be no spending.

Tomorrow is a big obstacle course race day. Danger areas are the merchandise and the food stalls afterwards. We're leaving at 10.30 tomorrow morning so I need to look tonight to see what food I have to take with me to try and keep costs low. I am DETERMINED.

More soon. I need o look at costs coming up for the month and see where I can make savings.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 15th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    £75 on cat food? How long does that last?
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £166.90 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 16th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Hi Scott, it should last about 6 weeks. £75 is 96 tins and he has two a day. Ordered from Zooplus as they are by far the cheapest.

HOWEVER, it is still a lot of ££. So this order I have included a few tins of a similar but slightly cheaper brand, to see if he'll eat them. It's about a third of the price cheaper. I don't like judging what people feed their pets, but cats are obligate carnivores and a lot of the supermarket cat food brands aren't high in protein - they are bulked up with cereals etc. The stuff he currently has is all killer and no filler. But any way I can find to reduce the cost further I will! The cat needs to realise that we all have to make sacrifices and austerity rules.

Sat in my dressing gown trying to mentally raise myself for the obstacle course run! I know it will all be fine, but I still feel anxious. Will be glad when it is over.

Planning to take £20 out with me in cash but hoping to return home with most of it unspent. Have drinks and snacks to take with me but based on prior performance I know that immediately afterwards I will want something hot and filling: CHIPS.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 16th Sep 17, 1:50 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 1,500 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thats not to bad then lol, bear in mind all of these sites are on topcashback.co.uk

zooplus
    pet planet
    monsterpets

Me and the ex had quite a few dogs and we used to flit between those 3 and ebay to get the best deal.
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £166.90 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 18th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    So, the OCR was brilliant. I really enjoyed it and it was great to run with such a fun team. We had an amazing time.

I took £30 out of the cash machine and returned with £21! No merchandising was bought - I had one celebratory beer and a burger (I am still ravenous. I burnt 900 calories in 2 hours!). On Sunday morning I woke at 6 am as I was still hungry! Very pleased at lack of spending here as I really wanted to buy more kit. I will need a new pair of training trousers at some point as mine had such a big hole in they had to go in the bin...

Yesterday we went to Aldi. My share was £30. We go about once every 6 weeks as there are some things there that are much better value than in Tesco.

Today I have spent a lot of money, but I am tracking it carefully. I spent £67 in TKMaxx on two pairs of boots. My one pair of boots were about 3 years old and since I have lost weight they were about a size too large for me. I am fed up with sliding around in them.

I also bought a dress for £55 for a party I am going to this weekend. I am not 100% sure about it so I am going to try it on again when I get home and I may return it and look for something cheaper to wear. I do think it is lovely but I want to be certain.

Operation coffee went well, so that is £1.40 saved today.

This week I am not going out at all - well I am, but not to anything costing money. Tonight and Weds is boot camp. On Friday I may go to metafit which will be £4.50. So aims are to keep lunch spending as low as I can until Friday.

I have £15 in my purse and need to pay £3.50 to someone at boot camp tonight as contribution towards a present for one of our instructors. If I can get through the rest of the week not spending any more cash than what will be left in my purse I would be delighted.

This weekend I am off to a birthday party two hours drive away. I am driving two friends down so am wondering if they will offer to contribute to petrol. We have booked a hotel for the night (£75) but that money is reserved in my bank account. I will need to buy some drink to take along so will think about the cheapest way to do that.

Lots to ponder. I feel like I must keep a tight rein on myself this week - I often find that once I start to spend I can't stop. I must track, track, track.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 19th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Spent today:

2.70 on ingredients to add to what we had for dinner tonight (stir fry with delicious leftover beef from the weekend)
    4.00 on lunch

Monzo account has £191 in it and I need to keep hold of as much of this as I can for as long as possible. I bought petrol yesterday which annoying would not accept the card so that £25 had to come out of my bills account.

Tomorrow should be low spend - out for lunch with a colleague but should be £7-8 spend. Then boot camp in the evening.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 21st Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Lunch yesterday with colleague was £7 and came out of cash in purse.
    Today I spent £4 at lunch and that was all.

Monzo account now £187. Sounds both plenty and not enough at the same time. This is a short pay month for me and as of tomorrow net payday is 3 weeks away.

Tomorrow: out for lunch but we're going to a pub where you can bring your own food. I will have one drink (although at London prices!). I have booked Metafit in the evening but need to see how I feel after a drink at lunch time. If I go it will be £4.50 and I may have that in mu purse.

The weekend is the big spend looming. I have enough petrol to get to where I need to go but hoping the others might contribute. I need £79 for the hotel but that is budgeted for in my current account. I will try and go to Aldi before I leave for booze and snacks, so at least I am in control of spending there. Suspect there may be a taxi or two involved. Will just control the things I can control.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 26th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Must keep writing in this diary as it really does help keep me on track.

FRIDAY: We didn't go to the pub at lunch but had a sandwich outside. £3.35. Not too bad for London. I went to Metafit - £3.50 from my purse.

SATURDAY: Big road trip down to Wiltshire. My co-travellers offered me petrol money but instead they kindly paid for the two taxis we needed and lunch for me. So my extra spend was £12 for some champagne and snacks for the journey. I also drew out £30 in cash. At the end of the trip I put £15 of petrol in and have used the remaining £15 for work lunches this week.

THIS WEEK: I have spent £35 in Boots. Too much. But I currently have braces and needed to buy interdental brushes and floss. Need to think how to get this spend down in future. the rest were toiletries and mascara.

I now have £100 in my Mondo account and 2.5 weeks till payday AND we're away for a week next week (but in England). There is definitely a bit more ££ I can move over from my current account but still need to make the week away as cheap as possible. We have agreed to stop at Aldi on the way down to stock up on supplies.

Things going well: Not spent a penny on coffee for over a week. The weekend could have been extremely spendy but was the minimum it could have been given what I was going.

Things going badly: work lunches, spending in Boots.

Posting on here and spending via Mondo are really hepling. It is by no means perfect and I have to be ever vigilant. I don't feel that the rest of the month is going to be easy, but I do feel I have made some good habits to take forward.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin