Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 29th Aug 17, 5:11 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 182Thanks
    Magpie100
    Too much month at the end of my money...
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:11 PM
    Too much month at the end of my money... 29th Aug 17 at 5:11 PM
    As the above says - I have too much month at the end of my money, every single month. I always enjoy reading this board and feel like I could do with some accountability and motivation in managing my money. I also feel a bit of a fraud posting here as my current debt is low-ish (£1700 on one card) and I have quite a lot of savings (more on this later) that I could clear it with. BUT. I know what I am like and I really want to try and pay this card off and sort out my finances the hard way. If I just pay it from my savings I won't have to stop and think about why I seem to struggle to get through the month. I do know why, actually, but I think I am in denial about the reasons.

My feeling is that our attitudes to money and saving are really complicated, and until we try and unpack the reasons why we behave as we do we'll be caught in an endless cycle. This credit card has been hanging over me for so long and in some ways it's a security blanket.

I'm off work this week which I am very excited about - we have been lucky enough to go away on a lot of lovely holidays over the last few years but I am so pleased to be having a week at home. I have made a list of things I want to achieve, and I really want to try not to spend too much. WHich will be difficult. I feel as if I don't often have time to do all the things I want, so when I DO have time I tend to do everything in one go and SPEND MONEY.

So, I will go in to more background details in further posts. Today has been spendy but productive. I have sorted the shed and conservatory for winter, and tomorrow when it rains I am going to declutter the house (as much as I can - it's a big house). I have spent £34 in Aldi, £6 in Halfords (screen wash and antifreeze) and £15.50 in Decathlon on trainers and a top (warning: I can justify spending any amount of ££ on exercise gear). I also left my bike in Decathlon for a service (more on this later) which I am told will be £17.But when I collect it tomorrow I'll also need to get some lights for it.

I came home for a lunch of leftovers, though, and even took a bottle of water with me when I went out. Some things I am really disciplined on, others...not so much.

Right. I feel better for having started this. I want to clear this debt, but I also want to understand WHY I spend as I do. Thanks for reading!
Page 1
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 29th Aug 17, 6:13 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:13 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:13 PM
    Aims for tomorrow:

- collect bike and get lights for it. £40? I'll have a look on the website to see what lights cost. It's going to rain, so I suspect I'll get soaked doing this.
    - begin great declutter of house. I really want to know what I HAVE so I don't spend money buying things just because I've forgotten what I own.
    - sort out dates for meeting up with people in the autumn (almost impossible these days, since everyone has many children and commitments, but somehow I will make it happen).
    - Go to boot camp. It'll still be raining!
    - Not spend any money on food or drink during the day. There is no need.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 30th Aug 17, 10:40 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:40 AM
    • 30th Aug 17, 10:40 AM
    Bad money: window cleaner messaged to say he would be round this morning. £25. This is the kind of cost I bury my head in the sand about, even though I KNOW he will come once a month. Money sent to him, £10 claimed back from OH for his share but...ugh.

Good money: walked to town and picked up my bike. £17 for service and £9.99 for basic lights. So less than I thought and it is AMAZING to be back on my bike! We have lots of brilliant cycle paths so I was able to get most of the way home without going near a road.

Next issue: I need a bike lock. In fact, I have a really good Kyptonite lock and have found the keys for it, but they don't seem to work. Frustrating. However, their website suggests cleaning and lubricating it all and as the lock hasn't been used for about 4 years perhaps that is the issue. So I will try that later today. I really don't want to have to buy another lock. Having resurrected my fitbit at the weekend just by giving it a clean, it's definitely worth a try with this.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 30th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    So happy! WD-40 WORKED and lock is now up and running. This plus fixing my fitbit earlier this week have saved me £200 in replacements (not that I would have replaced my fitbit at the moment, but I would have done so eventually).

There is NOTHING WD-40 can't fix. Off to look round the house for more things that need some!
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 31st Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 31st Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 31st Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    So plan for today: spend as little as possible while still enjoying my time off. I get paid mid-month so another two weeks till payday and it is going to be EXTREMELY tight. I really want to not have to dip in to my savings so need to keep focussed.

Going to do more house and garden after coffee number 2. This afternoon I have to go to the orthodontist as have braces on teeth at the moment and part of the wire has come dettached again. That has all been paid for already, though, so no cost. Also have bag of clothes to drop off at charity shop, may have even more later after going through wardrobes.

Charity shops are a danger area for me though so need to keep things under control!
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 31st Aug 17, 6:50 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    • 31st Aug 17, 6:50 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 6:50 PM
    Hi Magpie! I am in the same boat where my spending is not inline with what I get paid! You sound motivated and finding stuff to sell is a good way to make extra cash and declutter the house! I need to do this. Good luck in your journey
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1,500 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1406 Emergency savings: £1250/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 31st Aug 17, 7:36 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:36 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 7:36 PM
    Re your bike bits have a look at chain reaction online they are spot on for bike bits. Plus if you have any cashback site memberships they are on quidco and topcashback.co.uk
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.10 Survey Earnings YTD £535.12
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 1st Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1st Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    Thanks Scott and fruitloop! I would have thanked you with the thanks buttons, but can't work out how to do it. Does anyone know? The 'thanks' thing I can see only lets me see how many 'thanks' a person has had. Mission for the day!

Feeling nicely autumnal this morning but sun is shining. Yesterday was pretty successful although overall am feeling the pinch already with ££ vs days of the month.

So yesterday I spent just under five pounds (should have kept the receipt!) in Aldi. Two packs of mozzarella (one for HM pizza for dinner and one for the freezer), a bottle of fizzy water (should have taken the one I had in the fridge but I forgot it - at least this one was only 19p), a packet of chocolate buttons (completely unnecessary, but delicious and only 33p!), 40 bin liners and some face cream (£1.69?). Not bad, and I am more pleased with the stuff I DIDN'T buy. I very nearly bought an abwheel (we use one at boot camp, and I thought I could get one for home and it was reduced to £2.79) but then I came to my senses and realised I already have kettlebells in the garage I haven't used at home, so until I get in the habit of using them I am not buying MORE exercise equipment. Oh - I also spent £1.60 on car parking but that came out of my small change which is saved for that purpose. I also went to 5 or 6 charity shops for a browse and had a look in the FatFace sale. I was very tempted by a beautiful swimming costume in FF in the sale for £10 and in my size. But I didn't buy it. I had done a clothes audit earlier in the day and I already have about 6 swimsuits, so although I would have loved it I did not buy it.

So on to today. I had my bottom brace tightened and now my teeth hurt which makes eating difficult, so feel a bit sorry for myself. Spending danger lurks ahead. I have a locksmith coming this afternoon to give us a quote for a lock for our side gate and shed. We really need to get this done as house is not secure otherwise and our lawnmower is now in the shed so it really needs a lock. Will wait for the quote before deciding when it will be done. But I am tempted to get it done today if I can as back at work next week.

Also I must go to the tip (at least that is free) and then get my car cleaned. This is probably an indulgence but I try not to get it done more than about once every 3 months and after months of boot camp there is always plenty of mud inside it. It's a nice car and I want to keep it nice. It will be £10 plus £2 tip. And the cat is running low on tinned food. I need to do a zooplus order but can't afford that till payday so may have to go to Pets at Home for a week's worth of meat. He is very spoilt but I can't compromise on his food (it is all protein and no filler, unlike cheaper cat food). And finally metafit this evening is £4. But I may be able to rustle that up from small change. Hmm. Let's see which of these I can make cost neutral or cheaper today...
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 1st Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    Update:

Second lot of washing now on the line. I HATE using the tumble drier and love to line dry things, so this time of year is bittersweet as already there are fewer hour of sun to dry things in! Nevertheless, one load is now dry and the sheets have just gone out. Hopefully a couple of hours of sun this afternoon will dry them nicely.

Tip run: Done. At least the tip is free. Can't believe I am saying this.

Lunch: There was nothing in the house so I went to Tesco on the way back from the tip. From RFQS lunch for £1.56 and £2.78, reduced from £3.70 and £2.60. Not terrible but not brilliant as a jacket potato would have been cheaper, but timings didn't work out.

Car wash: I had £10 plus tip in my purse for this and now done. Car is lovely and clean. Won't do again now until deep in to winter.

Cat: Grrr. Not the cat, who I love dearly, but the food. 20 tins for the price of 16 so £17.44 and a saving of £4.36. Again, could be better, could be worse, and I really need to budget better for things like this, because it's not like he's going to stop eating.

Now I need to sit in the sun for ten minutes, tidy up and wait for the locksmith to come and quote.
    • savetosave
    • By savetosave 1st Sep 17, 2:08 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    savetosave
    Hi

What about dropping some of your old clothes into H&M? They will give you a £5 off voucher (off a £30 spend I think). Even if you don't shop there yourself, you might be able to use it at Xmas.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 2nd Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Morning!

Yesterday was ok on the spending front. I went to metafit and paid for it with small change (£4). At some point I'll do a post about the £££ I spend on exercise at the moment! There are various things to be considered. I also cycled there and back - it is only about 6 minutes on my bike so no excuse to get the car out. I might occasionally in winter but my aim is to cycle there and to boot camp as often as I can.

OH was meant to bring dinner back from town but then went for a few after work drinks. I was ravenous - harldy any food in the house and had done metafit - and also marginally annoyed with him. So when he arrived home we went and got chips and kebabs, which he paid for. Not the healthiest but we don't do it very often.

Today we're off to Kent for a night away. Accomodation is paid for which is a relief. Will try and keep all other costs low. Have half a tank of fuel so that should be ok - my car is efficient.

savetosave - thanks for the info! I usually take old clothes to the charity shop or deliver them to a friend who will take them to Romania, but it's good to know and I can always split out the donations. We have given away loads recently which suggests we're buying too much. I do struggle with buying clothes so need to think about that. Very happy to donate unwanted ones, but I don't want to waste money, either.

Right. Off to shower and rouse the troops.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 3rd Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Lovely night away - long walk yesterday. OH kindly paid for lunch and dinner. Now back home and today will be a NSD. Back to work tomorrow. Really need to keep each day on track - payday is 12 days away and very little wiggle room in budget.

I am out for a few drinks on Weds and also a leaving do on Thurs and Friday will be very expensive with hair cut and then away for the weekend. I have vouchers to use for train travel on Friday, however, so that will save some money there. Will need to be organised and focussed this week.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 5th Sep 17, 9:48 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Sunday spends: 43p on a lemon to make homemade Arrabiatta with (all other ingredients in the house already and utilised homegrown tomatoes). Two portions made and in the freezer for later in the winter.

Monday: £1.40 on coffee and £1.25 on salad to add to lunch that I bought in from home. Not too bad considering I am in central London.

Today: I have bought in lunch again (leftover beef and cous-cous from the weekend) and I have yogurt, fruit and a babybel for this morning Also crisps and a mini-roll. Suspect I will spend the same as yesterday.

So, that's the good money news. The bad is that it is still ten days from payday and I have a lot going on and need to keep everything as under control as I can. Tomorrow is work so will need to bring in as much food again as possible although no more leftovers after today. Then boot camp in the evening (paid for by monthly DD) and then we are going for a few drinks after boot camp. We don't often do this (we tend to go out as a group once every 3 months, but for various reasons we will need to have a drink tomorrow). Quite a few people will be driving (I will cycle) so I hope it won't be too expensive. I also need to add ££ in to a work collection for someone's leaving do. If I can get away with spending £20 tomorrow that would be a win.

Argh! I know this will be a slow process, but hate having to think about ££ ALL the time! One day at a time I think. I also want to try not to go mad when I do get paid, but it's tricky when I am going to have to watch every penny for the next 10 days! I do have £200 in savings in my bank account but this is earmarked for a trip to Wales in October and the water bill. I may need to borrow £20 or so from it depending on how things go. We'll see.

One day at a time, one day at a time...
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 5th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Just popping in to say hi and good luck. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Enjoy your drinks tomorrow. Think not loosing sight of having a life while paying off debt is so important as otherwise can just end up compensating and splurging with any money that comes in then.
    Just wondering are you overcommitting to things thinking you have the money for it but are also funnelling lots into future savings so the money isn't really there for life right now as its gone to a savings pot?
    I'm sure you will find your own balance. Just being aware of what you are spending your money on can be a big help, maybe not the first month but as time goes on.

Sorry for rambling on but hope my thought process makes sense.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 7th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    ChasingSunshine - it made perfect sense! This really is a long-term process in my view. In the last few years I've managed to lose 25 pounds and get much much fitter and it's interesting how many similarities there are between losing weight and retraining my spending habits. I have only been successful on the weight loss and fitness front because I have been disciplined and consistent, rather than 'motivated' for the short-term. The small consistent changes are what make the biggest difference in the end.

On to £££. Good money news: drinks last night ended up costing a tenner and were brilliant. I do have a lot of social stuff going on, so I need to think of ways to keep it as low-cost as possible.

Good money news part two: off for some leaving drinks for a colleague tonight. There is £500 behind the bar, so I am hoping not to spend too much, though no doubt I will need to spend something towards the latter end of the night.

Bad money news: I have £150 until next Friday. This sounds like loads, and I'm aware that for some people it is loads. But I can't see that this will be enough to get me through because it needs to pay for:

Tonight (see above)
    Lunch (leaving lunch for same colleague who is one of my best friends here, so not begrudged)
    A haircut tomorrow (approx £55)
    Bikini wax tomorrow (£15)
    Cleaner on Monday (£50)

And I'm away for the weekend tomorrow. The weekend trip away is an awkward one financially, as OH's brother is taking us away for a significant birthday OH had earlier this year. We did the same for him, so this is the return leg. It's awkward because although we're being treated, we're away for two nights, and I am sure it's going to cost in terms of drinks and eating out. This is the kind of thing I find it very difficult to budget for. So cost currently unknown but will do my best to keep down.

We're getting the train tomorrow and I have delay repay vouchers to cover my part of that, so that's one saving.

Hair cut - I have it done every 10 weeks. We're in the south East and this is one of the cheaper places I have found to get it done (cut and colour). But still a lot, I'm aware. After 10 weeks the grey is already starting to show through!

Anyway. I'll report back on how things go.
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 7th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Well done on keeping the costs down last night, fingers crossed today is more of the same. Agree that weekends away with others can be a struggle especially if others aren't aware that you are struggling a little financially. At least you won't have to pay for the train which is a win. Maybe small things like getting food in for breakfast or snacks etc if you are self catering rather than eating out for those will help a little bit.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 8th Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    So yesterday was £13 on lunch (not bad for central London and was delicious and fun) and then £10 last night at the drinks.

Didn't get in until 12.30 and awake at 6 so shattered! This morning is bikini wax and hair cut. I think I'll have to transfer £30 from my savings as a buffer for this weekend/next week. Was thinking £50 originally but let's do £30 as a challenge to myself to keep spending down.

I need to leave £5 for the catsitter (She owes us a free feed from last time and is only doing 2 this weekend) but I may have that in change from last night so need to investigate my purse.

Ugh. Must get going but a bit tired and hungover! Ah - must fill my bottle of water for this morning so I don't have to buy one.
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 10th Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Well, we had a lovely weekend away but it was SO expensive. I won't have to cover too much of it as OH and his brother will cover most of it, but even so I must do a reckoning and give him what I can!

Wins: train ticket paid for with vouchers.
    Breakfasts: yesterday we went to Wetherspoons and breakfast was £6.88 for two. It wasn't great, but it did a job. Today we were going to have breakfast in the hotel which was £15 a head we thought, but apparently that is only if you book in advance. So it would have cost us £18 a head. There is no way I can eat even close to £18 worth of food and we were annoyed that we had been quoted one price and then given a higher one, so we voted with our feet, dashed to the station and came home and made bacon sandwiches instead.

Losses: We ate out twice on Friday (once at a very expensive restaurant) and three times yesterday, plus cocktails and drinks. So I will need to make a contribution towards it all when I get paid on Friday.

This week: looks not too bad (just as well given how few ££ I have!) until Thursday, when the locksmith is coming. that will be £100 between the two of us so I'll be £50 down before I even get to payday on Friday. My aim is to keep this week as cheap as humanly possible to limit the damage.

Breakfast to take to work it already made and in the fridge and there is a portion of leftover liver and onions and some spinach to take, although it doesn't sound very appetising! The spinach has been knocking about for a while so I may have to throw that away, but the liver and onions should be ok.

Tomorrow and Weds should be boot camp and cycling there to save diesel and unnecessary trips.

Right. Really need to keep on top of it all and at least the expensive weekend is now out of the way.
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 10th Sep 17, 6:25 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Glad you had a good weekend. Sounds like you are all set for the week but liver just cannot get on with that no matter how many times I am told it is great for me etc. Think that makes me like it even less
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 12th Sep 17, 1:48 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    Magpie100
    ChasingSunshine - I'm going to be honest. The liver is still in the fridge. I don't think I can bring myself to do it. I feel a bit bad about it, but not really.

So far this week I've had to move £50 from my £200 in to my current account. I have spent £4 on food and drinks at work yesterday and £4.75 today.

Tomorrow I get a free coffee but have to go out for lunch (it won't be very expensive, but still about a tenner).

Then I need to get through Thursday and then get on top of payday on Friday - my first one since I started this diary. Lots to think about.

First: I am going to go to Aldi at the weekend and buy more of their ground coffee to use at work instead of spending £1.40 a day in the canteen here. I have a cafetiere and a recyclable coffee mug. There is no excuse. I have been pretending that because I spend £1.40 a day on coffee that's ok, cos it's in our subsidised canteen and everywhere else in central London is £2.50, but it's not. It's £30 a month on coffee! Ridiculous.

I biked to boot camp last night and will do again tomorrow. I got completely soaked but I was so wet five minutes in that cycling home in the wet made no difference. I'm still happy to not be using diesel unnecessarily. I'm not saying I'll never drive there again, but I want the bike to be the norm, not the exception. So now this change is bedding in its time for the next one. COFFEE.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,977Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter