Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 29th Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: What puts you off from reclaiming mis-sold PPI?
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    MSE Poll: What puts you off from reclaiming mis-sold PPI? 29th Aug 17 at 3:26 PM
    Poll started 29 August 2017

What puts you off from reclaiming mis-sold PPI?

It was announced this week that the majority of people likely owed compensation for PPI havenít claimed it yet. There are only two years left for people to claim, and given many could be owed thousands plus a new ruling means just having had PPI makes it likely you were mis-sold, we want to know what is putting people off.

Please select the single biggest reason which applies to you.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 2
    • SamW594
    • By SamW594 30th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SamW594
    Thank you. I don't think we'd receive more than £2000 if it did go through and we only have £1500 rainy day savings so it wouldn't take us over the £6000 savings threshold. Will have to dig the papers out and look at the figures to see what interest might be. Sounds like it might be worth putting in a claim if, as that thread says, the actual refund side is disregarded as income.
    • XRAT
    • By XRAT 30th Aug 17, 2:54 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    XRAT
    I haven't tried claiming, all of my life I always declined PPI.
    • Maggielilacs
    • By Maggielilacs 30th Aug 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Maggielilacs
    My husband died over 20 years ago and I'm sure we had joint mortgages and loans but have no idea after all this time how to track anything down and certainly no paperwork or account numbers are available after all this time.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 30th Aug 17, 3:10 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I know for a fact I've never had PPI. In the late 90s I used to work for a bank in the area that dealt with credit applications and selling PPI was a big part of their business. I didn't take out any credit until after I'd started there by which point I was fully aware it was a complete con.
    • Miss Elly
    • By Miss Elly 30th Aug 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Miss Elly
    I have a problem with the ethics of this. I paid PPI on a small mortgage, knowingly and willingly, as an insurance against losing my job or being unable to work. Therefore I have rejected all suggestions that I should reclaim it. Does the Plevin rule make a difference? Am I surprised that the bank may have taken more commission than might have been deemed acceptable? Will we all have to pay in the end - through a return to bank charges? I worked in a High Street bank in the '60s when charges for all debit items were the norm and it was always the low-paid who struggled and got deeper and deeper into debt just by maintaining a bank account at a time when an account was not actually a necessity of life for many and the idea of credit interest on a current account would have been considered laughable. Times are very different now; how would anyone manage without a current account? Some banks have already threatened to reintroduce charges. How long can they go on paying out? And don't get me started on the parasites who have jumped on the band wagon to help you claim!
    • connorandco
    • By connorandco 30th Aug 17, 7:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    connorandco
    I contacted my bank because I do not have paperwork from old loans. They charged me £10.00 then told me they did not keep records for more than a number of years. I've been with the bank from when it was Girobank in the 80's
    • Memopaws
    • By Memopaws 31st Aug 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Memopaws
    I took out a Mortgage in 1990 with Mortgage Express, through a broker but I can't remember who. I'm pretty sure the broker sold me PPI with the mortgage and I had it for 3 or 4 years before moving to a different lender. Do I have to reclaim PPI through the broker or can I go direct to Mortgage Express?
    • KAPH
    • By KAPH 31st Aug 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KAPH
    Our mortgage was with Northern Rock and we don't know if we can claim as they no longer exist.
    • safetygirl
    • By safetygirl 1st Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    safetygirl
    I dont think i had PPI i remember being vigilant and calling up loan and cc companies to get it removed when it was added without consent (and it was removed).
    Also most of this dates back to before 2005, but not all.
    I have no paperwork remaining after breakups and housemoves
    I spoke to claims guys once who then absolutely bombarded me with calls so i had to block them. I never did ascertain if i had had PPI or not - their free check i think is a scam
    All of MSE's tips say you need name of bank and account numbers - I have neither. I got as far as downloading MSE's claims guide and form etc., but stopped when i didnt have all the info necessary.

And this is why i have not tried to claim PPI. Please point out my errors in understanding if i can actually claim it but don't realise. I would claim in that case.

Thanks - any tips gratefully received
    • safetygirl
    • By safetygirl 1st Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    safetygirl
    PS also the financial advisor who originally sold me a mortgage interest only (and perhaps with PPI also) is deceased and the IFA company went with him!
    • Physiofred
    • By Physiofred 1st Sep 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Physiofred
    Confused.com when it comes to PPI
    The only reason I haven't made a claim, is purely and simply because I don't know who/how or where I should go to. When I bought my first property in 1998 (after a breakup from a seriously not good relationship) the estate agents I bought through told me, as I was single and having a mortgage, I had to protect myself against being out of work. As I didn't have a clue, I was grateful when they said they could sort it all out for me, and they did. I paid into that insurance policy right up until just a couple of months ago. I know the name of the estate agents, insurance company, and always paid through direct debit from the account/bank I had my mortgage with, but it wasn't the bank who sold it to me...so who do I claim from... I do now know that the insurance company has a link to the estate agents....help??!!!
    • tubbs1
    • By tubbs1 2nd Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tubbs1
    No paper work
    Never took it out in the first place.
    Getting sick and tired of the advertising and the cold calls from claim companies.
    The regulator really screwed the pooch on this one in my book.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I was under a different name when I took out mortgage in 1999 through right to buy with broker I have no paper work broker no longer about how would I work this out
    • tubbs1
    • By tubbs1 2nd Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tubbs1
    Can some one tell me how I would go about go about getting ppi sorted as I took a mortgage out in 99 through the right to buy scheme with a broker I think he used Barclays to set my mortgage up but I was under a different name & I don't have any paper work
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 3rd Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 11,458 Posts
    • 15,038 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I was under a different name when I took out mortgage in 1999 through right to buy with broker I have no paper work broker no longer about how would I work this out
    Originally posted by tubbs1
    This is why I say the regulator screwed the pooch - they expected us, the customers, to have the paperwork and do a lot of the initial work when it should have been the lenders having to take every single file they had and show the regulator and the courts that the PPI had been sold correctly - if they could not, then the refund + interest would be paid.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • RL11
    • By RL11 4th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    RL11
    Stop claiming!
    If you don't have the details necessary to make a claim, don't make a claim! You obviously didn't know what you were doing or miss the payments when you made them, so forget it. All of these compensation claims simply result in premium increases for everyone. I cannot wait for 2019 to come round so this ridiculous PPI story finally goes away. The trouble is that there will be a new "scam" that the legal firms will jump on to get your money instead. I believe the latest idea is to claim compensation for feeling poorly while on holiday! What a racket!!
    • mac65
    • By mac65 5th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mac65
    ppi poll
    I paid off my endowment mortgage before 2000; the endowment element giving insurance cover. I do not remember ever paying ppi, and believe that I would have been astute enough being well covered by my employer at the time. My mortgage provider was Halifax.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 5th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 35,657 Posts
    • 45,905 Thanks
    McKneff
    Mppi on mortgages for the most part were not miss sold .
    They sold them to you so that you could pay the mortgage if the worst happened . So the insurance was needed.
    And also for your benefit so that you werent chicked out on the streets.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • bb3264
    • By bb3264 6th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bb3264
    Divorced... can I still claim?
    Had PPI claim accepted but now cos I'm divorced and ex obviously lives elsewhere ?? Bank asked for his passport which they've seen and copied but now we need to provise his address as well? Won't this make the claim invalid and if so why? They've admitted liability? Help please someone it's for £2300
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 9,257 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I don't know if I had PPI on the 2 loans that might have been mis-sold on.
    I know I had a stand alone policy that I took out first and then refused the insurance that both my mortgage provider and later the car loan provider offered.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2986.4
    This week 70.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin