Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,093Posts
    • 25,585Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 19
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Ooh winter food beats summer food. I love warm pies and soups. Yum.

Dark mornings r horrible tho.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,898 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I LOVE summer, the hot days, energy in abundance, spur of the moment get togethers. Just LOVE it. But I also really like the changing of the season from Summer to Autumn. The crisp morning, change in smell of air, getting the dressing gown on again, snuggling down after work. Once we're knee deep in Winter though the enjoyment of all of the above diminishes rapidly!

check in 12/30

SFD - according to my milk is excluded rules so now 4/18

took lunch to work - was lo sandwich from when I went out on Sunday

Tea is lo soup from last night

did 18 mins hula hooping & 10 min power walk to school. Think I'll do another 10 mins hula hooping or on the bike later as feeling motivated
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 18,294 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi all,
    Check-in 12/30
    Autumn definitely my favourite time of year, though all seasons have something lovely to offer.
    Good day on the financial front. Not a SFD, but only bought what was on my list & all spends paid in cash from correct budget. Parked on outskirts of town for free & walked in. That saved £2.80 for starters & also ensured I overshot my exercise goal of 7,000 steps today, as I've already done over 10,000.
    No further beauty spends. Didn't even look at anything of this type. Used the very last of a lipstick this morning by scraping the last tiny scrap out & applying with brush. Good money saving habits continued this afternoon as have been harvesting lots of fruit & veg from our garden & also had a walk round to assess what stuff is still to come. Will be building that into meal planning.
    Me time - I've enjoyed all of today.......working in the garden is a big stress-reliever for me, & I enjoyed sitting quietly in Waitrose coffee bar & having my free coffee......which I got when I went in to see if a certain brand of ground coffee had been restocked.....it had, so I bought three.....£1.74 a bag instead of over £3, which is doubtless why the shelves were empty last time I was in there! Have made a big chicken stew for tonight's dinner using leftovers, home grown veg & a damn good round-up of the bottom of the fridge. Feeling motivated. Another free tv & knitting night for me......got to get some stuff made for this knitting stall if I want to earn some pennies.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 64,947 Thanks
    greent
    Day 12......
    SFDs - now 6/18. - another one achieved today

Extra monies/ debt repayment - nothing today.

Food - running total £185.21/ £450

Eating up/ using up stuff - yep. All meals from home stuff today. Made fridge cake using up Be1vita biscuits which OH has gone off. Made flapjack using a rat(ion) pack of apple & cinnamon muesli from DS1's cadet camp, dried fruit & seeds from DD's uni halls and a banana from the freezer (and it is bloomin' gorgeous - had the weird end piece for breakfast ) and a huuuuuge pan of bolognaise using YS mince, HG frozen tomatoes, 2 tins of tomatoes from DD's uni halls, my mum's HG peppers, courgette & a chilli, YS spinach, leftover mushrooms from the weekend, 1/2 tub of passata from a week ago, the last 1/3rd of a jar of red pesto (also brought back from DD's uni halls!) and some other bits.
    Using up - in the same vein (sort of - using what we already have) - it is Roald Dahl dress up day at school tomorrow. Lots of DS3's classmates have had specific Willy Wonka/ Fantastic Mr Fox/ Matilda etc outfits bought for them. DS3 is going as George - wearing a red polo top and jeans from his wardrobe and taking an empty water bottle filled with water and food colouring (and glitter flakes, because they were in the baking supplies and it finished the tub off) and a colourful hand drawn/ coloured in label made by himself saying 'Marvellous Medicine' No cost whatsoever and nothing which shan't be worn again

Lunches taken - 3 x packed lunches for children today.

Social life - none

Exercise - 1/3. Went for a walk earlier.

Beauty - £2.73/ £10

Time for self - read a few chapters last night of book. Will do the same tonight

Heating off - yep.

Gratitudes:
    * my mum picking DS3 up from school (I had a half hour training session at work)
    * using bits n pieces up and making yummy things with them
    * the boys all enjoying school
    * lovely people met along the canal path when walking earlier
    * warm weather to get one load of washing dry
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 12th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Today has been a NSD. I'm at 5/18 now - plan on having them for the rest of the working week. Had a massive lunch at work from the fuddle, won't want a full dinner so might just have some eggs on toast or something later.

Finished work early-ish today - left the office at about 4:40 PM so I imagine I'll have to finish a bit later tomorrow. I must visit the bank tomorrow as I have a cheque that needs to go into the account. Must fund the time to do that during my work day.

Still no heating although the temperature is dropping. Slippers have now been deployed.

I'm grateful for the fuddle at work today - free food
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 10/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 26,716 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Day 12.

SFD 6/18 Can't remember the last time I did this many in a month.

Plasterer came round to quote for hall, stairs, landing and DD's room - I predict a very big spend day coming soon! All coming out of house renovation pot so accounted for.

No heating yet but it's forecast to get colder, might have to cave in.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 19,275 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 12
    Managed to get another SFD today so now on 6/18.
    Did my usual 20 minute walk, took my lunch to work and read my book.
    Managed to get a job interview for a permanent office job. It is going to held on a Saturday, so will not have to take a day off my temp job.
    Trying to take it easy when I get home from work as I am getting tired early on in the evening. First time in ages working full time, also it usually takes me an 1 hour and a half to travel to and from work.
    Food for today has been all from things already in.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge NSD 12/20 Food/household budget £58.19/£150
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 28,915 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    Too busy to check in the past couple of days. I can't believe that I took this promotion on at work and have been given even less time to do it than I had last year without all of the responsibility.
    I have bagged another 3 nsd's though since I last checked in.
    Not a lot of me time happening, unless we count making sure I have an early night.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 12th Sep 17, 7:41 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Evening everyone,

Love the Roald Dahl costume Greent very MSE!!

NSD here today and finally made some phone calls I had been avoiding for a while so productive day. Me time will be watching some catch up tv, gotta love BBC iplayer
    • LollyPop0312
    • By LollyPop0312 12th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    LollyPop0312
    Onto NSD 6/18..few yellow sticker treats again, yay!

Totally agree..autumn is so snuggly and comforting..love it..and means Christmas is around the corner..exiting times!

Am 3 weeks away from my due date..thinking I'd better get a bit of food preparation so we don't end up living of take outs when baby is born..any advice anyone?

Hope everyone enjoying the challenge..everyone seems to be doing really well xx
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Sep 17, 8:00 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 2,924 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Spending day, planned hair cut and colour which doubles as time for me.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 7,668 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Foxgloves and thrifty- I've never liked the dark nights and mornings- what do you like about them?
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    Not having to use Factor 50 sun block every hour, not being awake at 4am cos it is light (my brain knows,even through blackout curtains) , hayfever, feeling like a kid being sent to bed early even though it is 10.30 cos it is still light. Heat. I think I was made for Nordic winters.

Give me crunchy leaves, a warm scarf. and a cold nose any day. I think I have SAD in reverse. Old goths don't die. Or I might possibly be a bat. Either or.
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 12-09-2017 at 8:14 PM.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Sep 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 7,668 Thanks
    f0xh0les

Am 3 weeks away from my due date..thinking I'd better get a bit of food preparation so we don't end up living of take outs when baby is born..any advice anyone?
    Originally posted by LollyPop0312
    Is it your first?
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 22,098 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A SFD as I have slept through most of it. Trying to tell myself it is my body healing itself (and a great relief from the headache and earache which are not shifting) but frustrating when I have so much to be getting on with.

If I can't change it, I have to accept it.

Today I am grateful for a lovely bed (still only have a light summer quilt over me), a good read (even when I only manage 2-3 pages before nodding off again) and invalid food (bananas, wraps, fruit and jelly).
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 9/20 Food £91.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Sep 17, 8:23 PM
    • 6,548 Posts
    • 47,895 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Foxgloves - what are you knitting?
    NST November #; NSD 13/17; Ex 9/12; craft 19/30 (247); remove 601
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3484/£4050; 2
    017 sell 174

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 35,437 Thanks
    DawnW
    Day 12/30
    Goodness, this month is racing past
    Spend day today, bit of shopping in Lidl, had to pay for the dog to be groomed (he looked like a small and not very clean version of the old fashioned mops my gran used to use ) and succumbed to some miniature daffodil bulbs (£1.29). Grocery spends updated and all recorded in my little black book.

All food from home, made a big chicken and ham pie using up the ends of a ham joint and a cooked chicken. Picked carrots and beans from the garden to go with it. There will be enough for tomorrow's dinner as well As I was making pastry anyway, I made extra, enough for a quiche shell and a dozen mince pies (mincemeat left over from last Christmas, but never fear, it is very alcoholic and keeps fine for several years ).

Walked dog this morning, but this isn't great exercise as he is slow on the lead, and has to keep stopping and sniffing....

No heating, managed to get a load of washing almost dried this morning but the rain returned this afternoon, and now looks set in for the night
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £223.90 / £250
    NSDs for November 12/12

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 7,668 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 9 - All my shopping was YS , boxes of tissues 20p, tagliatelle 14p and I got 12 bottles of beer for £2.75 cos the corner of the box was slightly torn. Madness!
    Can't have any mind, as I am the only responsible adult in the house until Sunday, and I am a cheap date. But it is in the fridge chillin' for next week.
    Made pizza and used up half a jar of artichokes and olives from the fridge and made scones to eat with bake off (that counts as me time today) .
    Was definitely chilly this morning - soon it will be hot chocolate and warm socks time.
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 12-09-2017 at 8:39 PM.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    TV is like my secret pleasure. I could waste hours watching TV in autumn/winter.
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Sep 17, 8:56 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Lolly Pop soups r always a winner for me this time of year. Make a few portions now n freeze them and then u have a quick healthy lunch/dinner for when baby is here. Also freeze some sliced bread for quick sandwiches.
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Foxholes- hot chocolate and warm socks- now ur talking my language. At this rate I may not dislike winter as much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

8,568Users online

Martin's Twitter