Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,093Posts
    • 25,585Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 18
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 35,356 Thanks
    DawnW
    I managed a SFD today, nothing spent at all
    Updated signature
    Nothing recorded in my spending diary, for obvious reasons
    All food from home
    No heating, although it has been cold, wet and miserable - I only really notice it in the bathroom brrrr
    Not managed any exercise unless carrying boxes around counts
    Free food - picked a bowl of raspberries, a few blueberries, some French beans, and was given a bag of pears
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £210.25 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 6,521 Posts
    • 47,701 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for buses running on time, for mild weather, for missing all the downpours, for a good day at work, for dd having a good day at school, for dh getting a little extra work, for my new scheduling plan seeming to work (I don't add things to my to-do list, I write them in my work planner when I will do them), for my warm jamas.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 11th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 18,258 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening Scrimpers,
    Check-in 11/30
    SFD 2/18
    Exercise goal - busy day & some good general money saving activity, but nothing very step-based today.
    Useful scrimpy stuff: Turned sone of our pear glut into a big batch of BBQ sauce & gathered another basketful. Turned out Presents Box & made a list of contents. Cheered to be reminded of all the nice bits & pieces I've bought or made & been squirrelling away all year.
    Heating?? You must be joking! No way is that going on yet apart from overnight use of heated towel radiator (Economy 7 tariff so makes sense to run it then rather than daytime). Only concession to autumn so far has been cardi & swapping to warner duvet.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi guys day 11 check in. Sadly the SFDs I had such high hopes for didn't materialise... I decided madam needed a hair trim and our hairdresser could squeeze her in on Sat. Then while we were in town we went and tried on some winter coats and got one - I know it's a justification but she's like me and hates shopping so we rarely go into shops - also got her a couple of other bits and we had some chips

Sunday we met with friends and had a coffee. I wasn't going to but we were at a mini kinda farm and were outside, the kids were playing in the park so we did

today - by the rules! - is a SFD, which at this point I'm taking whatever I can get, but I did have to pay for a dentist appt & 90p on car park to park near dentist. I could have parked further out for free but was in pain and expecting root canal. Other than that no money out of my purse so 3/18

Made soup for tea, using up lo veg from yesterday and the end of a ciabatta a friend brought round last week

Snacks ready for work tomorrow. Taking my jam sandwich from sunday I didn't eat

Me time & exercise was being down the allotment for a couple of hours, 1 of which was digging. I read for 1/2 hour when I got back from the dentist and am about to go and have a bath & give myself a facial & pedicure

Today I'm grateful I managed to get £25 off of a £50 fee I was charged. That I made a bit of headway with the allotment. That madam seems to be loving school so far That I brought home a big bag of fresh veg from the allotment. That people on the internet are so generous with posting their recipes
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 22,073 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A SFD. Not feeling great so gave mum the option of my going there or not. Did not think it was catching, but. Stayed home, been working on the baby blankets, then had another nap later. Feeling okay (nap was restorative) but still not right, so quiet evening planned.

Today I am grateful for good reading, a comfy bed and being able to sleep and switch off.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £31.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    redofromstart
    spending day - planned spend on food shopping. Bought lots more milk in the hope that I can avoid food shopping for at least a few days.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Sep 17, 8:29 PM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 26,339 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Check in day 11.

Bought a few bits from Lidl and a birthday card today. Just over £10 spend.

Exercise just a few steps off 20k and 30 minutes in work gym at lunchtime.

Would be tempted to put the heating on but it's a brand new central heating system and I need to find the instructions first!
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 4/12
    Weight loss 1/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 11th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 8,560 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Vintage Brighton I'm in east anglia. It's not freezing, just feels really cold when I'm sitting around!

lol everyone, no way did I have a full body wax
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    mothernerd I hope you feel better soon.

Went for a run at lunch and had HM Chinese for dinner. Another LO lunch in the freezer. That's a record 9 lunches ready. That should keep us going a while. Need to keep that up. Also got a swede and carrots from the garden to make veg sticks to go with the humus i made for snack tomorrow.

Weather should be milder and dryer tomorrow so i hope my washing will dry fine. Heating stays off.

Bit of reading now to relax
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-09-2017 at 9:29 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • stoplurking
    • By stoplurking 11th Sep 17, 10:41 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    stoplurking
    Check in day 11, sorry I missed yesterday, thought I had checked in but doesn't look like I did.
    SFD lost for the sake of a bag of crisps, what a waste. Still on 5/18. Lunch to work 7/21.
    Heating off, scarf on. Well done everyone who is racking up the SFDs.
    LBM Oct12 Debts at LBM £17715.93.
    Orig DFD Apr15 DFD 24/12/13
    3-6monthEFC#9 £1193/4000 29.8%
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 11th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #11.

Went through my online shopping baskets but having problem with online payment so didn't spend anything today by default so now at NSD #9/18.
    Food was from a trawl through the cupboards/fridge with enough for some lunches tomorrow.
    Grocery delivery booked for tomorrow.

Heating still off and chased around the garden with todays laundry on the wash rack to catch the sunshine in between the showers.
    Groceries 43.37/400 Personal Spends ..../100
    NST November #11 NSDs 4/12 @05/11/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Sep 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 24,140 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Sorry for my absence I was busy decorating on Sunday and then working yesterday. SFDs are now up to 8 The heating has started to kick in in the mornings now, I begrudge the heating but having a not damp towel after a shower is much nicer than trying to get dry with a damp one! Dog walking completed everyday I guess I'd better get to work,have a good day.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • misstara
    • By misstara 12th Sep 17, 7:47 AM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 17,084 Thanks
    misstara
    Sorry not checked in for a few days.

Sunday - NSD 6/18

Yesterday - £10.10 spent on a wee top up shop and £15.49 on vitamins. Went to the gym after work. Heating went on last night to help dry some clothes.

Today - hopefully another NSD although need to go into the phone shop after work as my phone is not picking up a WiFi signal. It's definitely not a problem with the WiFi in the flat as it's working fine on OH's phone and the laptop. Very annoying as I rely on the WiFi at home to keep my data charges low. Think I'm also going for a run with a friend later but just waiting to see what the weather does.

Using up stuff - LO gammon for the roast last Sunday made into pea and ham soup, enough for lunches all week, using one of OH's shower gels that he isn't keen on, cutting off the top of my body lotion (no more lotion coming through the pump but there's probably a weeks worth of lotion left at the bottom), smoothie for breakfast using up various slightly squishy fruit.

Me time - gym and watching a film
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 2/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 10/18.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 12th Sep 17, 7:54 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 7,567 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    SFD s up to 8 now.

Got drenched at picking up time at school, so funny. Was grateful for a coat in the boot and a really rubbish tiny umbrella that I hoped was there, but was not sure.... proper Autumn rain, lovely.

I hate Summer and am glad that it is over for another year. Not that it was a particularly bad one, I just love dark evenings and dark mornings and colder weather. Yeah, I'm that one.

Does burning candles count as using things up? If so, I am using up stuff, Got out the candle holders and tealight metal structures and with the main light off I can't see that the wallpaper needs replacing and the places that need replastering.

Today I am also getting my tumble dryer fixed for free in its 11th month of the 12 month warranty - I am sure if I had a 'normal ' sized family it would have been just out of time.

And I told the call centre person to stop trying to upsell insurance. It was blatant, but after the second time I said no thank-you and then they started AGAIN, I know it is an awful job, and they are told to upsell, but 3 times?? On a free repair under warranty? I dunno.

Right, time to get these kids to school. Hopefully no shoes will need to be retrieved from the school roof today....
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 12th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Check in 12/30

Yesterday was indeed a NSD, today won't be! I have eBay posting to do and need fresh veg topping up. Both budgeted for so I just need to remember my self imposed financial limitations when I go out.

I'm a bit cash poor right now anyway. DD sent an SOS for a top up. She's travelling with her partner and needs a large amount in her account to enter Australia. They both have jobs and friends when they get there so it's not a problem - just means a slight cash flow issue for me (it shouldn't matter if I'm not going to spend it anyway but it makes me very nervous having empty accounts!)

Anyway, heating still off

NSD remain at 6

Me time - not sure although crochet and netflix sounds good. I feel like I have a lot of 'me time' now anyway with all the kids left home and no outside work. I still haven't got over the feeling that I'm being incredibly lazy

Freezer food for dinner (the fresh veg are for my brekkies)

Exercise - will go for a long walk while I'm out

Think that's all, have a lovely day scrimpers

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 16/18
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Good morning fellow Scrimpers!

Finally a nice sunny autumnal day. I'm with you f0xgl0ves on really liking the darker season and the comfy-ness it brings with it. Although I wouldn't say I hate summer (it's not really a summer up here anyway , not like where I was born, 35C plus ).

Didn't get much done yesterday as I took the kids home, fed them and then had to go out again to pick DH up. Managed to convince DS though to get his first homework of the year done all yesterday rather than putting it off till later in the week.

NSD numer 9 today and ok, I was exaggerating yesterday when I said nearly halfway though the month, but more than a third is done and look how many NSD have already been racked up.

HM soup for lunch and bike at the gym.

More later
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 6,409 Posts
    • 64,748 Thanks
    greent
    Just popping in to say a beautiful sunny Autumn morning here. Have washing on the line in the hope it will get mainly dry (due to rain this afternoon) Have been very organised this morning and made a try of flapjacks, a tray of fridge cake and a huge pan of bolognaise all before the 8.30 school run Have since been out for a walk along the canal path and picked blackberries in the sun

Back later with a proper update - am hoping for another SFD, but it's too early to say for sure!
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 12th Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Foxgloves and thrifty- I've never liked the dark nights and mornings- what do you like about them?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Foxgloves and thrifty- I've never liked the dark nights and mornings- what do you like about them?
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    It's cozy. Makes most cities look less harsh and dirty because you can't see it as everything is tinted yellow by the street light. Give's me an excuse to snuggle up on the couch and or cook nice soup. Can't fully explain it. Also I rather wear warm comfy clothes, than shorts and t-shirt. Christmas is not far now either

P.S. plus if you don't like short days and long nights which happen 2/3 of the year it's not much fun living in Scotland
    Last edited by thriftylass; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    NST Nov 6
    Exercise 5/20
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 12th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 18,596 Thanks
    Calling14
    I love Autumn, trees gorgeous colours, love snuggling down on the couch, candles, blankets, warming hotpots, hot puddings. Nice walks with a hot flask are ace.

Hate the wind living on top of a hill can be annoying and it's horrid getting out of bed when it's still dark outside.

Bought a candle today - yes ruined a SFD for that, I do need milk however, get that on the way home. Candle was cute yankee home inspiration one and smells divine.

Managed still without my heating on, probably milder here in Wales however.
    Cooked chicken dinner last night so guess what's for dinner tonight?
    Followed by apple pie now it's autumn

Todays jobs - if I write it down may do it!!!!!
    Empty a chest of drawers and use new one from my spare bedroom as drawers are collapsing inside. I don't need to buy a new one.
    Clean my bathroom - and wash ceiling - mould starting to form.
    Walk - must achieve 10k so lazy this week.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £1040
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3260 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1161.71/2000 ends 29/12/17

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter