Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,093Posts
    • 25,585Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 17
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Sep 17, 7:52 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    redofromstart
    they are staring at computers/in their own rooms so it is like being alone anyway.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Ha, ha - not just our house then

Exercise - Bouldering!
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Sounds great, apart from my general aversion to heights. I can just about cope with belaying.

northernnerd the history stuff sounds really interesting, I saw this morning that there is a John Merrick letter on display locally and I really want to go and have a look. Ten years ago I would have refused to go

SD here - the milk situation went critical, and I couldn't scrape enough stuff together for DS1s cooking at school tomorrow. Might have to change my shopping day in future so that I am not second guessing what he might need. Heaven forbid they might communicate ahead what he is doing.

Even the tumbleweed in the fridge is complaining that there is nothing to eat

ETA, ooh tumbleweed fried with some lard and wild garlic. Now there's a thought....
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 10th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 47,635 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for kind bus drivers, for talking to some new people at church and discovering that they are the parents of someone I know, for being inside away from the wind and rain, for the raspberries still producing, for dd loving the ballet on the telly this afternoon (from 1958!), for my first vegan cake being edible, for dd exclaiming in delight at some bunny colour-combinations, for time with dd.

Greent - good that your sister's ok. Hope there are no more scares.

fbo - bouldering sounds exciting. Hope dh wasn't called in to work. Is his injury (was it his thumb?) fully mended?

Clippy - how do you make a red spinach curry? To me, spinach makes everything turn green.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 10th Sep 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 22,063 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Slow start to the day but clutter (craft) clearing is going apace - I now have three empty 'bags for life'. NSD as I have only been as far as the bins.

Today I am grateful for imagination, recycling and re-using.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Nov #9 SFD 7/20 Food £31.50/£100 Travel £2.50/£10 DIY £/£30Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • clippy_girl
    • By clippy_girl 10th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 8,560 Thanks
    clippy_girl
    Apple muncher this is the recipe, it's Thai red curry. It's sooo nice! http://www.redonline.co.uk/health-self/nutrition/squash-curry-with-ginger-and-lime-rice I just have it on its own but the cauli rice is also very nice

Ok I confess I have the hearing on! It was under 19c and I had some Airbnb guests coming and it was really cold
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 10th Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Today has been a NSD and I really need the rest of the week to follow suite too.

Had a fairly relaxing/nothing day as it was raining and we didn't fancy getting wet. Made Sunday lunch, will use up leftovers and make pie. To avoid spending I will have to make my own pastry which I'm not overly chuffed about but I don't want to lose a NSD for that.

I've made some leek and potato soup for lunches, definitely enough for tomorrow and a Tuesday - might be enough for Wednesday (it depends if Tom wants some too). Was going to make Lemon and Poppyseed cake but never got around to making it.

Spent the evening writing out evening invitations - waiting to hear back from people to confirm their address before we send. I'm happy that I only have two weeks left at work before I have a week off. Although it will be a busy week as wedding stuff to do.

I've been wondering - I managed to save £250 for silly alterations at the bridal shop but I'm considering whether to ask people about the cost of a bustle.

In reality it shouldn't be too difficult to do myself, make a loup from thread and sew on a button but I have images of ruining my wedding dress. My sewing skills aren't amazing but I can sew on a button.

I've been watching you tube videos but I'm undecided about what to do. There is a loup tie thing at the bottom underneath of the dress but that is for hanging up the train. I'm thinking I could use it as a wrist strap but it might get heavy in the evening? I might see how confident my mum would be sewing on a bustle - she's better with a needle than me.

I chilled out tonight watching silly wedding programs. It's eight weeks away and I'm getting excited so I apologise if every post is wedding related lol!
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 10/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 10th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bizzie
    Check in #10.

After my normal weekend tasks I spent a bit of time and went screen shopping. Went through my shopping lists putting the selected products into my online baskets but not actually checking out. Will revisit tomorrow and the items that are still needed will be purchased. So although tomorrow is now definitely looking like it will be a spendy day it did mean I achieved another NSD today so now at #8/18.

Heating still off but making use of blankets when sitting on the sofa.
    Groceries 43.37/400 Personal Spends ..../100
    NST November #11 NSDs 4/12 @05/11/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 11th Sep 17, 2:39 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    nice warm day here today, got gardening done and some of our tree pruned (well scalped more like!) Managd to get our duvet washed but had to TD it and now it is airing on the bannister in hopes it will soon be dry.
    Spent a little more in grocery store than I wanted but there were some fruits on offer and so got them. Have spent $81 of our !50 for the month but we are stocked up on wash powder and dishwasher tablets now as well.
    Going to make some SW friendly meals tomorrow for freezer before I start back at work - anyone else doing SW?
    Grocery challenge - $150 for Oct 0/150 NSD 6/18
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 0/$1850 updated
    Work on selling items and make $100 a month for the rest of this year /100
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3,093 Posts
    • 25,585 Thanks
    thriftylass

Yesterday was def not a NSD! £55 spent on massage and waxing. Normally only get back, neck and shoulder but treated myself to a full body....
    Originally posted by clippy_girl
    Had to double check I read that right, which I hadn't. Thought, ouch, a full body wax must be sore till I read further on

Hello fellow scrimpers!

My apologies, for being absent again. Really busy and productive weekend and not much chance to log on.

Loads of NSDs have been collected again and it seems to have been the weekend for batch cooking. Keep going, nearly half way.

I got the hedge cut on Saturday and took the kids swimming. On Sunday DH had to work in the morning and I got the house blitzed. Been putting it of for ages. Kitchen cleaned, house hoovered, dusted. Got a bit of painting done in our bedroom, cleaned the conservatory, roasted a chicken, made stock and soup for the freezer. Also took the shower door down, took all the seals of, bleached them and renewed most of the silicon around the bath. And a few other bits.

Managed some me time reading and crocheting at night.

One confession though, Sunday I had three loads of washing hanging up inside and the conservatory and it was very humid and cold so some of it started smelling fusty as it didn't try quick enough so I stuck the heating on (but only two radiators) to aid the drying for a couple of hours.

So off to do some work, Catch you later
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    NST Nov 6
    SFD 3/20 spends 401/625 (98/200 xmas)
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1000 to go from 5290 (80% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 11th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 18,596 Thanks
    Calling14
    Morning everyone.

Apologies for non posting over weekend.

Sat - Nice seaside blustery walk, followed by my kids and grandkids descending on me. Future Son in law put in new pull switch light and fixed a lamp I love. So ended up going out with them and buying a bottle of wine £14 good value for the work I had done. Naughty bit bought a take away on the way home. First Chinese one this year but shouldn't have really seeing my debt mounting up.

Sunday cleared out the drawer from hell in the kitchen. Now my pans can go in there. Was going to continue but got dragged out by dd. I think I was going somewhere nice but hey ho - skatepark and standing under a tree in the rain was actually quite fun. No money spent

SFD 3/18. including today as no money to spend on me.

Home made leek and potato soup for lunch
    Heating still off, was tempted to dry clothes last night but not in a hurry for them.
    Managed to get my patio doors open properly and oiled up today - may postpone getting new doors until next year as seem to be struggling with debts lately.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £1040
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3260 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1161.71/2000 ends 29/12/17

• f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 7,548 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Evening all

Yesterday was def not a NSD! £55 spent on massage and waxing. Normally only get back, neck and shoulder but treated myself to a full body.

Originally posted by clippy_girl
    I think I must need more coffee, I read this as a full body wax Had to read it 3 times. There is something very wrong with my brain today.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 11th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Check in 11/30

Hoping for a NSD today. If not, def tomorrow, depends which day I do my eBay posting. Room turnaround today too but doesn't cost anything.

clippy_girl Whereabouts in the country are you? I don't feel like I need the heating on but am beginning to wonder if my guests might, just for a bit.

Exercise - will go for a walk as the suns out

Me time - hoping to get some crochet done later

Heating - not yet

Have a lovely day scrimpers

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £160/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 16/18
    • threepenny bit
    • By threepenny bit 11th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    threepenny bit
    check in day 3
    NSD today although I was tempted to go to the shops but opted for a lazy look on line instead and spent nothing!
    HM SW veggie soup for dinner and SW pasta bake for tea using sad veg from fridge and a couple of chicken breasts in pasta bake, will use leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
    Very Autumnal outside today so glad I got my duvet washed and aired yesterday. Need to cut grass today and thats me done!
    Grocery challenge - $150 for Oct 0/150 NSD 6/18
    1st challenge to pay CC (JV1) 0/$1850 updated
    Work on selling items and make $100 a month for the rest of this year /100
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 6,404 Posts
    • 64,679 Thanks
    greent
    Day 11 Check-in :)
    SFDs - now 5/18. - another one achieved today

Extra monies/ debt repayment - nothing today. SOld 4 things on fleabay, but they all belonged to DS1, so no money for me

Food - running total £185.21/ £450

Eating up/ using up stuff - yep. All meals from home stuff today.

Lunches taken - 3 x packed lunches for children today. My lunch eaten at almost 2pm after I got home from work late

Social life - none

Exercise - new week. Achieved 10K steps by 3.30 and fitbit shows 35 active mins. No formal exercise though

Beauty - £2.73/ £10

Time for self - read a few chapters last night of new book. Will do the same tonight

Heating off - yep. Am now wearing socks

Gratitudes:
    * work being fun (if exhausting with Y7s!) today
    * seeing my colleagues - some of whom I haven't seen at all over Summer
    * a good catch up with my boss
    * a good catch up with a mum from school
    * my gorgeous children
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1214.99/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 11th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Nsd #5 here. No heating down south but it's been very autumnal. To all the green fingered people on here, is it a good time to trim fruit trees back?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • LollyPop0312
    • By LollyPop0312 11th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    LollyPop0312
    Another NSD here..just a fivers worth of yellow sticker delights. 5/18. Well wishes to all!
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 11th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    NSD here today. Not much else happening. Managing to resist turning on the heating but am wrapped up warm. Have no excuse live down south am just a thin skinned fragile creature compared to most people on here it seems
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 11th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    A NSD today. DH cooking our anniversary dinner - phoned to ask where was the pesto. He couldn't find it, so asked me to pick some up on the way home. I talked him through the possible locations until he found it. I knew we had some, it was on my recently updated pantry list

Really enjoyed yesterday. Bouldering was great and DH wasn't called in. Apple muncher Thanks for asking. Yes he is fully mended.

Went out for dinner and I ordered a main course. Rather than pigging out I asked for 1/2 to be packed up and took it for lunch to work. Delicious both times. I also passed on dessert as DH is making tiramisu for tonight so I didn't need it twice

Had a good day at work. I needed to be quite clear about my ability, or lack thereof in the arena of passing on information to a classroom. Cue a search for a 'Training for trainers' course. More studying. Joy.

Gratitudes -

- A lovely sunny day in Glasgow
    - DH offering to cook dinner
    - A compliment in the gym this morning about visible muscle definition. Finally!
    - An unblocked and refitted bathroom sink. (Although it took one person to unblock the drain but he had to call a second person to plumb it all back together again. Exactly how is that efficient?)
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Sep 17, 6:50 PM
    • 6,506 Posts
    • 47,635 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Nsd #5 here. No heating down south but it's been very autumnal. To all the green fingered people on here, is it a good time to trim fruit trees back?
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    I think the answer is 'yes, if they have finished fruiting'. I have a coxes apple tree that isn't ready to be picked yet.

And doing it before the frosts arrive is good, as the tree has time to heal up the cuts before coping with the frosty bits.
    NST November #; NSD 3/17; Ex 2/12; craft 1/30 (247); remove 578
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3415/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Today would have been a NSD but OH declared that we needed toilet roll. I'm a bit irritated that the NSD is lost but at least it's a low spend day.

Took soup in for lunch today and as OH is practicing tonight I've finished it off. Grabbed a YS baguette for 15p so had that with it.

We have a fuddle at work tomorrow so no need to take lunch/pack up. The rest of the week will be NSD expect for either Saturday/Sunday depending on when decide to do weekly shop.

The heating isn't on yet though - I point blank refuse to put it on until October at the earliest. If it gets really cold I might set the fire going (but that's hassle getting wood etc so I'd probably just wrap up in a blanket.) we will see
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 10/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 19,208 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 11
    Was a spend day. Had to pop into supermarket near a bus stop on the way home. Only spent 78p. Notebook updated.
    Did 20 minutes walking from bus stop to/from workplace.
    Read my book at lunchtime and on bus.
    Took lunch to work.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge NSD 8/20 Food/household budget £48.23/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

2,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin