Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,000Posts
    • 24,512Thanks
    thriftylass
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:16 PM
    NST Super September Scrimping challenge 29th Aug 17 at 3:16 PM
    A warm and fuzzy autumnal welcome to the NST Super September Scrimping challenge, for newbies and seasoned debt busters alike.

(Don’t want the following to sound too harsh but I need it this month)

September means for many getting back into the swing of new school and work routines. Also, the colder months are looming and we should maybe consider starting to get ready for winter and the festivities or at least start a wee bit of forward planning.

The whole idea of this challenge is for you to start looking to where you WANT to be, consider why you aren’t at that point and start realising what is going WRONG. And also, I need you to help me because when I have people to answer to I won’t spend anything!

Seriously though – you can’t save for a house if you have debt. You can’t have a new kitchen if you can’t afford the food to put in it……………. you need to get a debt free day graved in stone and start aiming for it. Enough is enough. Christmas is but 16 weeks away – are you ready for that little charmer?

So again, I’d like to go back to basics and a few stricter rules back form NinjasavingKat’s days.

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

That’s it… think you can keep up?

Contenders:
    1. thriftylass
    2. apple muncher
    3. greent
    4. DawnW
    5. determined new ms
    6. Calling14
    7. jojitsui
    8. misstara
    9. f0xh0les
    10. Tempus01
    11. 1LuckyLady
    12. cybertortoise
    13. dizzyblnd
    14. mothernerd
    15. Shakey87
    16. clippy_girl
    17. Fmess
    18. stoplurking
    19. ChasingSunshine
    20. Eager_Elephant
    21. Tjzdazz
    22. Kerry Woman
    23. FurryBeastOz
    24. Buffethedebtslayer
    25. bizzie
    26. squanderscouse
    27. Sun Addict
    28. LD_13
    29. NelliePie
    30. vintagebrighton
    31. indigowarrior
    32. crazy_cat_lady
    33. LollyPop0312
    34. foxgloves
    35. redofromstart
    36. Lauralozzle
    37. Abundant
    38. ooitsme
    39. threepenny bit

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:13 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    Exercise 14/20 Amazon vouchers for xmas £0
    Debt - all 0% 1436 to go from 5290 (72% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
Page 11
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 34,358 Thanks
    DawnW
    Check in 5/30

I was all set for my first SFD of September... but then OH randomly took himself to the supermarket, forgot the list, forgot the bloomin cereal he went for but at least he spent only £9.15 and got 4 items off my list. So I will have to go myself at some point

Anyway, apart from that:
    OH returned an unopened tin of paint surplus to requirements, so £17.03 refund
    Sorted through fridge and froze some mushrooms, we may not be great at SFDs, but we don't do food waste here!
    All meals from home, we very rarely eat out or buy takeaway
    Made fruit crumble from HG and gifted fruit. Also made a batch of scones.
    Wrote spends in my little black book (OH's disastrous shopping trip)
    No heating (it was actually hot today, even though it was quite a nasty damp day)
    Didn't manage any exercise, unless traipsing up and downstairs with boxes of sales stock counts. Energy levels are a bit low today

Congratulations on the new job Kerry Woman
    Last edited by DawnW; 06-09-2017 at 7:28 AM.
    Grocery spends for September £143.05 / £160.00 (includes milkman's bill)
    SFDs for September 5/18
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 23,517 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Day 5 check in - a spend day today, top up shop £10 and £4 to Lotto syndicate I'm in. Exercise was walking to and from work plus walk at lunchtime resulting in just over 18k steps. No coffee shops/cafes/pubs etc yet and no heating needed.

So far so good
    Virtual Sealed Pot £621.40
    September NSD 9/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 5th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    Check in 5/30

Not a NSD, had to get spinach, mushrooms and butter. All out of the shopping money though.

Another one night set of guests tonight but there's a 3 nighter tomorrow.

Not quite finished sorting the 6 monthly budget. I'm desperate to see if we can put money away for proper savings. I'm fortunate we managed to keep a £1000 emergency fund but I'd like £5000 separate from that.

Twenty minute walk today but nothing else.

Time for me was spent watching The Mist on Netflix this afternoon.

Need to prioritise eBay listing and then sorting other ways to make some money from home

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £120/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 14/18
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 5th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Check in 5/30

Nsd 3/18

Yesterday I went food shopping n got most of what I need for the rest of the month. I also paid all bills. Today was a nsd and I went for a run.
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 5th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    VB u do amazingly with ur airBnB guests. That's great. Can u do that tax free?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 6,330 Posts
    • 46,067 Thanks
    apple muncher
    SFD number 3 today

Back at school and had a day of dizzy spells so didn't go to exercise class (therefore keeping my SFD) and had some me time watching Strike that I had recorded.
    Originally posted by Fmess
    Hope the dizzy spells have stopped.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 15; Ex 14; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • vintagebrighton
    • By vintagebrighton 5th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    vintagebrighton
    VB u do amazingly with ur airBnB guests. That's great. Can u do that tax free?
    Originally posted by dizzyblnd
    It's tax free up to £7,500 which is fantastic. I've only been able to do it because all the kids have left home now.

I have to say that I really didn't think we'd have so many bookings

VB x
    Food Budget ~ £120/£160
    Weight Loss Challenge ~ 38/84 NSD ~ 14/18
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 5th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I was looking into YNAB and when I had a look it seemed you had to connect it to your bank account? Is that right? Would rather not do that for security reasons. Is there a British version or is the American version all there is?

Thanks
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    Sorry to jump in but thought I could reply...

There is only 1 version which is the American one, it will only connect to American bank accounts.

I am the same as you thrifty and would not want to link my bank account. I just enter everything manually anyway.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 5th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 21,906 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Sorry its been a busy few days - relative who went to hospital was sent home the same day as they don't have space to admit anyone!!

So have managed 3 NSD's - this is Sunday, Monday and today.
    Have brought stuff for relative but he has reimbursed me so not counting those.

Not doing much exercise over and above dog walking twice a day but hopefully will be burning some calories.

((abundant and family)) - Hope you get settled soon and the new job works out ok.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 5th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 20,606 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Not much to say. Have finally taped all mum's loose recipes into books (one made for the purpose, one an old diary and one a baking book which now has additional recipes stuck onto all the large illustrations, plus extra cupcake decorating ideas intot he cupcake book.

Bins out at mum's and here and came home in daylight for the first time in days. Early start tomorrow as mum's antibiotics did not arrive with her other pills - got through to the pharmacy but not the doctor's so will go, do my own stuff and get a prescription for mum, get it filled then tear over to her place with hte pills (fingers crossed). It should be on the repeat prescription for the next cycle. Also got a small attache case full of 'craft' materials to pass on - some of the items have been hanging around for 18 months so want them gone.

Considering staying up all night to crack on with things. Could collapse after crafts tomorrow then use the alarm to wake up on Thursday (funeral at 9.30am).

Today I am grateful for there being room in the bin for a couple of bulky items (pet litter went in yesterday), for finishing a task and for being able to squeeze more meals out of mum's freezer and cupboards (supplemented by ys bits I have bought).
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Sep #14 SFD 11/18 Spent £53.84/ £60
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • bizzie
    • By bizzie 5th Sep 17, 11:32 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    bizzie
    Day 5/30 and still on 3NSDs.
    Went food shopping today and kept very true to list until a few ys items jumped into the trolley. Will need milk & potatoes before the weekend but hopefully not a lot else.
    Other spends were mainly school based - new water bottle, ruler, notepads, folder & dividers.

How do you all "account" for money off vouchers or coupons in budgeting? Do you put down the theoretical or actual cost, and does the extra get spent elsewhere or saved?
    I believe I'm overthinking it, taking it to the extreme, and need to find a balance.
    Groceries £386.23/400 Spends £227.33/100 (oops )
    NST September #25 NSDs 14/18 @25/09/17
    Goals for 2017: Balance in
    Self: Health: Wealth :
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 6th Sep 17, 6:22 AM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 23,745 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning,

SFD number 4 yesterday I am doing so much better at this this month

No exercise due to rain when I got home and one limping dog but they'd already been out with the dog walker so I do t feel too guilty.

Tomorrow is SW so need to pay for that and need to get some more fruit and milk.

Hope you all have a good day
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Sep 17, 6:32 AM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 36,779 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning checking in for yesterday, I read through yesterday's posts then I was real tired so didn't post!

4/30 sadly wasn't a SFD as we ran out of butter so stopped at A1di and picked some up....

Only did 10 mins of exercise - power walk to school to collect madam

GC £19.45/£160 think we'll only need milk and bread for the rest of the week...

Today is a day off so hoping to hit the targets Going to go to the allotment for a couple of hours after dropping madam to school

planning a SFD 2/18

Madam has ballet so will take a book to read while there
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £2874.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2919.06/Roadkill £8.58
    SFDs Sept 7/18 CC saved £2372.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Sep 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 16,349 Thanks
    misstara
    NSD 3/18 yesterday and I went for a run with a friend after work

Me time was reading a few chapters of my book before bed.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1525.60 (33.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £101.46/£150. NSD target 8/18.
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 6th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Morning, Happy hump day am really on countdown to the weekend already.

Today won't be a NSD. Have to go food shopping so also going to buy tickets / accomodation for concert later in the year and maybe flights home at Christmas if can get my leave approved. All budgeted but just want to get them paid as way too often get caught by the laziness penalty with price increases as I don't plan far enough in advance.

Me time - have a new e book available from the library and planning to start that this evening.

No exercise planned but expect there will be a lot of walking around today. So won't count it but at least it is a little of activity.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,512 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Went for an interview for temp admin in the office for a school. Got offered the position and start tomorrow. It is ongoing until further notice.
    Originally posted by Kerry Woman
    Congratulations

I was all set for my first SFD of September... but then OH randomly took himself to the supermarket, forgot the list, forgot the bloomin cereal he went for but at least he spent only £9.15 and got 4 items off my list. So I will have to go myself at some point

OH returned an unopened tin of paint surplus to requirements, so £17.03 refund
    Originally posted by DawnW
    Glad sometimes my OH isn't included in this challenge , good job on the refund on the paint though

Sorry to jump in but thought I could reply...

There is only 1 version which is the American one, it will only connect to American bank accounts.

I am the same as you thrifty and would not want to link my bank account. I just enter everything manually anyway.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Ok, I'll maybe just stick to my excel sheets then. Or is there a benefit in YNAB that I don't see?
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,512 Thanks
    thriftylass
    How do you all "account" for money off vouchers or coupons in budgeting? Do you put down the theoretical or actual cost, and does the extra get spent elsewhere or saved?
    I believe I'm overthinking it, taking it to the extreme, and need to find a balance.
    Originally posted by bizzie
    I don't really account for them, they just make my shopping bill smaller and stretch my budget.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 24,512 Thanks
    thriftylass

Quick query....does filling up with petrol count as a spend if it's a work related thing? I have an appointment tomorrow which will require a fill up- I pay it then it's reimbursed at the end of the month so I'm not sure whether it counts!!
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    You keep the NSD as you get it reimbursed and it's work related.

Had an NSD yesterday.

On the way home I must have looked fed up/tired enough that DH did the dishes as soon as we got in (I made rather clear the night before that I'm not doing them again). I'm sure it'll be a one off but surely he must realise at some point that I can't just do it all by myself and work full time. Men......(sorry present excluded).

Did a bit of crochet but was in bed for half 9, knackered.

Run in the sun today, freezer lunch and then we'll see...
    Last edited by thriftylass; 06-09-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    NST Sept 1
    SFD14/18 spends 5xx/400
    • ooitsme
    • By ooitsme 6th Sep 17, 10:14 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    ooitsme
    Morning check in. Made a couple of mistakes yesterday but it's only day 2 so it's a learning curve. I felt desperate for coffee straight after my 06:45 spin class and got a Costa as I couldn't go home before work! So, I am now planning to take my travel mug and see if it stays hot enough, if not I will find one that does!
    Secondly I didn't eat for the whole day and then craved sugar and bought ice cream when I was shopping for the few things I needed to get through the week,, so I came home and made very cheap post gym frittata which I've cut into pieces and will take with me, so that should solve that problem! Hoping for a NSD today, have a good one all!
    DFW Progress 01/09/2016

CC1 - £100/£1500
    CC2 - £750
    Student loan - £3350
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 6,210 Posts
    • 62,933 Thanks
    greent
    Kerry woman - congrats on the job!

ccl - hopefully the attitude of 'that' class may improve? - what year group are they?

squirrelgirl - I never count work related reimbursable expenses if that's my only spend - you often don't have a choice as to when you spend it/ you get repaid

stoplurking - yes - yoga= exercise (and me time! )

bizzie - I count the actual spend after the coupons are taken off - so the net spend, as opposed to the gross. I know some then save the coupon value for debt repayment/ savings/ mtge OP but I don't
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1552/2017 items
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,619Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin