Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 29th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 18Thanks
    fox warrior
    Smart phone advice
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    Smart phone advice 29th Aug 17 at 12:58 PM
    I looking at getting a smart phone. I've been more than happy with my dumb phone for many years but it's time for me get up to date. I'd welcome any advice / opinions, on handsets, operating systems, (Android, iOS, Windows 10 mobile etc), networks, where to buy and any info you think will be of help. I'm ok paying around £150 for the handset and £10 ish a month top up.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
Page 3
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 8th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    glennevis
    "If data runs out while I'm using it, it just stops working."

OP that is perfect for you, no nasty surprise bills. Can Sky disable premium rate SMS messages? (I know Three can do this) so you don't get caught out by that kind of scam either.

If you want to analyse your data usage I recommend an app called 3G Watchdog.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 10th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    I have the original Wileyfox Swift and love it, this is the latest Swift 2, a great phone and the only British mobile company.

https://www.wileyfox.com/smartphones/swift-2-smartphone

There will be some here who might mention a problem with the previous Operating system, Cyanogen Mod. That was upgraded to Android Nougat by the company, free. CM was a derivative of Android, but the company collapsed so Wfox upgraded all phones and now they all run stock Android.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I have the original Swift as well and bought another for my daughter. They have been updated regularly, so they are very up to date. Most other phones don't get much in the way of security updates and I've been very impressed with this aspect of the service.

The major drawback of the Swift 2 is that you can no longer replace the battery. That's true of a lot of phones these days. I'm not sure how many phones are still available that allow you to swap the battery?
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 10th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fox warrior
    "If data runs out while I'm using it, it just stops working."

OP that is perfect for you, no nasty surprise bills. Can Sky disable premium rate SMS messages? (I know Three can do this) so you don't get caught out by that kind of scam either.

If you want to analyse your data usage I recommend an app called 3G Watchdog.
    Originally posted by glennevis
    I don't know if Sky can do that but I'll definately find out. I'll have a look at the 3G Watchdog App aswell. Good advice, thanks.
    • fox warrior
    • By fox warrior 10th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fox warrior
    I got the P8 Lite 2017
    I went to CPW Friday evening and had a good chat with them. I looked at the Moto G5 aswell. There are pros and cons with both. It ended up being a hard choice but I went for the P8 as the Moto doesn't support NFC which "might" be of use to me in the future. I've got a lot to learn about how it works and what it can do but I'm ok with that. As it's Android I've had to get a Google account so I can access Google Play. Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 11th Sep 17, 6:23 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    . As it's Android I've had to get a Google account so I can access Google Play.
    Originally posted by fox warrior
    It would be interesting to know how much you use on your Google account.

Gmail is very good as is the online storage of all the photos you take.There are quite a few alternatives to Google Play but many people think it's excellent.

I suppose you already know about Google Docs but did you know Google can tell you where you have been for as long as you have had your account?

Big Brother is watching you but only if you let him!
    Last edited by Terry98; 11-09-2017 at 6:25 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,575Posts Today

9,799Users online

Martin's Twitter