Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 29th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,245Posts
    • 448Thanks
    oldwiring
    Query on completion HMRC form R40
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:11 PM
    Query on completion HMRC form R40 29th Aug 17 at 12:11 PM
    Apologies for asking a question, that some may consider to have an obvious answer.

I am in course of completing one for myself, and one for my spouse.
    At the top right hand of the first page one is asked for: Your Reference and Tax Reference.
    I get two employers' pensions. The main pension has its own PAYE reference, and the second one another. Do I enter the main or both?

As I am completing for my self is a "My Reference" required?

As to my spouse, for whom I shall complete the form. Her income is below the Personal Allowance even after she transferred some to me.

Apart from referring to me as agent, what reference details are needed?
Page 1
    • LittleJo
    • By LittleJo 29th Aug 17, 5:01 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    LittleJo
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:01 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:01 PM
    Hi
    Ask HMRC
    They are very helpful
    Jo
    • oldwiring
    • By oldwiring 29th Aug 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    oldwiring
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:20 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:20 PM
    Can you actually get through to them? i thought one died waiting.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 29th Aug 17, 5:31 PM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:31 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:31 PM
    Might be some use?
    http://www.litrg.org.uk/useful-links/useful-tools/forms/r40-%E2%80%93-claim-repayment-tax-deducted-savings-and-investments-0
    • typistretired
    • By typistretired 29th Aug 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    typistretired
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:43 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 5:43 PM
    Put your National Insurance Number in tax reference you wont have your reference unless they have already contacted you.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 29th Aug 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:48 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:48 PM
    I would put what you refer to as your main pension reference on yours (along with your national insurance number) and National Insurance number on your wife's form.

"My reference" is only needed if you have such a complicated life/filing system you won't remember why HMRC will be writing to you in reply.

Personally I would concentrate more on making sure the actual income details are accurately filled in as there were one or two posts on here a while back from people who have struggled to get HMRC to accept the form.
    • Chrisback
    • By Chrisback 2nd Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisback
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:02 PM
    Apologies if this is on the wrong place - I cannot figure out how to ask a new question on the forum.
    I am completing form R40 and am unsure as to whether I need to include Redundancy pay (less than 30k so not taxable). Is it classed as "post termination income" and therefore to be included on box 2.1?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 2nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 12:33 PM
    An R40 is basically a simple tax return so you have to include all taxable income on it (just because it was redundancy less than £30k doesn't guarantee it is not taxable).

Why do you think you might have to declare non taxable income on it?

And are you sure you need to fill that form in?

What year are you completing it for?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 2nd Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 23,634 Posts
    • 13,768 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    See

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/do-you-have-to-pay-tax-on-your-redundancy-payout

“Is my redundancy pay taxable?” is one of the first questions people ask when facing redundancy. Well, as redundancy pay is compensation for your job loss, it qualifies for special tax treatment, so up to £30,000 is tax free. But many people don’t realise that other elements of their package – holiday pay and pay in lieu of notice – will be taxed in the same way as any other pay.

See also

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/other-taxable-income-hs325-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs325-other-taxable-income-2016
    • Badger50
    • By Badger50 2nd Dec 17, 6:13 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Badger50
    A PAYE reference number identifies the employer or pension provider . Some people have a Unique Taxpayer Reference but only if they have to do self assessments. For the rest of us our National Insurance number is the reference to use. If you don't need a "My reference" for your own purposes there is no need to give one.
    Last edited by Badger50; 02-12-2017 at 6:19 PM. Reason: addition
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter