Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 29th Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    • 7,354Posts
    • 13,503Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    People and liquids in hand luggage
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:09 PM
    People and liquids in hand luggage 29th Aug 17 at 12:09 PM
    The liquid restrictions of bottles, tubes, aerosols etc 100ml or below and in a clear resealable bag have been in place since 2006.

So why do people think they can still take 1.5 litre bottle of water, 400ml bottle of shampoo, 200ml pot of hair gel through security?

My friend flew out last week and the guy in front of her had the above plus many more and he argued the toss with the security guy. No exceptions.

Then there are people that don't bother putting their liquids in a clear resealable bag. As there was a queue for the 'bubble gum type machine that dispenses a bag in a clear ball

Why do people think they can take large bottles etc through into security and why do some not bother to put toiletries etc into a clear bag?

These people cause unneeded delays to the security as it is.
Page 3
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 5th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 13,503 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My OH has sensitive skin & used a certain brand of shower gel.
    We don't want to be checking out every shop to see if they have it.
    If they don't, we'd have a far bigger problem than gel-covered clothes.

Ditto for suncream.
    We know what suits.

I've taken shower gel & suncream in our hold luggage (wrapped in plastic bags and stuffed into shoes) for many years and have never had a problem with leakage.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I saw something on the internet where you put a piece of cling film on the lid of toiletries to prevent leakages
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 5th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    I will pack carefully for her , she has medical issues so its easier to take everything she needs.
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    I've been putting liquids (& sprays) in my hold luggage for years & years on more flights than I could count - NEVER had any of it over my packed clothes! I put 3 or 4 items in each of the larger size resealable food bags, the same type I put my on board bits in.

A small pump bottle of mosquito repellent leaked a little once but not a drop escaped the resealable bag, though it took the paint off an item it was in the bag with so probably not best used on my skin anyway (it didn't even leak any 'smell').

I'm not arriving on holiday to shop for the type of stuff I prefer to use when I have suitcase space/weight to take my own.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7,798 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pogofish
    I will pack carefully for her , she has medical issues so its easier to take everything she needs.
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    If its needed for genuine medical reasons, you can take liquids through as hand luggage - any size/any quantity. Just bag them apart from anything non-essential and if they don't have prescription labels, get a letter from your doc detailing what and why. Although I must say that mine has never been asked for.

eta - Here's the C&V:

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/essential-medicines-and-medical-equipment

And if its anything going in hold luggage, I have learned the hard way to double-bag it or use something like a snap-seal food container to stow my liquids.
    Last edited by pogofish; 05-09-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 6th Sep 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 3,188 Thanks
    DD265
    Re the 100ml bottles - MAN airport has a notice on their website that if you supply your own bottles they must have the capacity on. And not in your own hand.
    That caught me out once. I'd bought a pack of travel bottles specially, but because they didn't have the capacity on - and to be fair they were 100ml so could've looked bigger or smaller - they ended up in the bin. I'm more careful now!
    MBNA: £4382.94/£6000 - 27% paid
    Savings: £1000.00
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 47,010 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That caught me out once. I'd bought a pack of travel bottles specially, but because they didn't have the capacity on - and to be fair they were 100ml so could've looked bigger or smaller - they ended up in the bin. I'm more careful now!
    Originally posted by DD265
    Did you choose to put them in the bin or were you made to?
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 6th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Did you choose to put them in the bin or were you made to?
    You always 'choose to'

Airport Security have no legal right to search you or to confiscate goods.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Sep 17, 4:33 PM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 47,010 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You always 'choose to'

Airport Security have no legal right to search you or to confiscate goods.
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    So are you saying that if Security at MAN say you have a container that may be over 100ml you can 'choose not to' bin it?
    I think I know who will win that stand-off.

MAN airport website is very clear on the 'containers must be labelled with volume' rule.

Incidentally, they also mention lipstick specifically unlike gov.uk which only lists lip gloss.
    That is the subject of another thread.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 08-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 7th Sep 17, 6:55 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    nyermen
    Terminal 2 departures before the re-fit had a clear box for "oops I forget I couldnt take that". Most surprising item I ever saw inside? A pair of garden shears...

ps. not sure if they have the right to search/confiscate, but I'd suspect they have the right to refuse to let you through. I do think it's an element of unfamiliarity / , as a regular business traveller, I note that security has these issues normally during the summer.

Always wondered why they don't have a "fast track" option for people who have no luggage at all (barring maybe a handbag or equivalent sized item for the phone, kindle, and wallet). If it has no queues, people would quickly be encouraged to consider sticking everything in the hold. Unless they're flying into Terminal 5 and it's wondrous baggage system.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    Ryanair cuts cabin baggage limit to speed up boarding

Won't really help though, as you can still take your "trolley" bag and then have it put into the hold at the gate. So you'd still have all the same issues at security.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Sep 17, 8:51 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    takman
    Always wondered why they don't have a "fast track" option for people who have no luggage at all (barring maybe a handbag or equivalent sized item for the phone, kindle, and wallet). If it has no queues, people would quickly be encouraged to consider sticking everything in the hold. Unless they're flying into Terminal 5 and it's wondrous baggage system.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    I don't see the point in that even if they just had a small bag or even just a mobile phone then they still need to put it through the X-ray machine and still need to walk through the metal detector so it wouldn't be any faster.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Sep 17, 10:46 AM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 47,010 Thanks
    Pollycat
    ps. not sure if they have the right to search/confiscate, but I'd suspect they have the right to refuse to let you through. I do think it's an element of unfamiliarity / , as a regular business traveller, I note that security has these issues normally during the summer.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    If the rules say you can't take containers larger than 100ml (with stuff in, not empty) then there is no way you are going to be allowed through to catch your flight if you 'choose not to' relinquish that container.
    Regardless of what rights the staff have.
    They have the right not to allow you to proceed further.

To me, that's not really a choice.

As I waited for my OH to come through Security at MAN, I was watching proceedings.
    An elderly couple had something that was clearly not allowed (no idea what it was) and they were told that they had to put it in one of their hand luggage, go back through to check-in and leave their hand baggage to be checked in and 'they might be charged'.
    The guy was not happy and said he'd ask someone else.
    He did and was sent off back to check-in.
    No idea if they had plenty of time to catch their flight.

A family had some sort of toy that the woman checking the bags didn't like.
    It looked like a piece of Lego or maybe a transformer type toy, perhaps it had batteries. Only about 6 inches long.
    Anyway, she put it back through the scanner, looked at it again, then went off to the desk to get advice.
    No idea if it was eventually allowed through.

I'm sure that in either case, if the passengers had insisted they would not choose to leave these items, they wouldn't have been sat in Departures.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 8th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 3,188 Thanks
    DD265
    I was, shall we say, very strongly encouraged to throw away said containers.
    MBNA: £4382.94/£6000 - 27% paid
    Savings: £1000.00
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 18,721 Posts
    • 43,033 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I don't see the point in that even if they just had a small bag or even just a mobile phone then they still need to put it through the X-ray machine and still need to walk through the metal detector so it wouldn't be any faster.
    Originally posted by takman
    It would be much quicker than standing behind all the dumba$$es who don't bother to take their liquids out of their suitcases until they're at the trays and then have to put them in the clear bags because they forgot and then realise that half of them are too big anyway.

When I travel for business I have to check my case as I have things in it I can take as hand luggage so I only have a small bag to go through security that I just chuck in the tray and walk through. It drives me to absolute distraction when I stand there for 10 mins while the people in front sort through their cases. A separate queue for people without cases would be a godsend and would cut the queues considerably. Let the stupid unorganised people take as long as they like, but no need to hold the rest of us up.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 18,339 Posts
    • 47,010 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It would be much quicker than standing behind all the dumba$$es who don't bother to take their liquids out of their suitcases until they're at the trays and then have to put them in the clear bags because they forgot and then realise that half of them are too big anyway.

When I travel for business I have to check my case as I have things in it I can take as hand luggage so I only have a small bag to go through security that I just chuck in the tray and walk through. It drives me to absolute distraction when I stand there for 10 mins while the people in front sort through their cases. A separate queue for people without cases would be a godsend and would cut the queues considerably. Let the stupid unorganised people take as long as they like, but no need to hold the rest of us up.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Maybe we should have 3 queues:
    1 for travellers like you
    1 for travellers like us who have all their liquids & gels in the right sized containers already packaged in the right sized clear re-sealable bag and empty their pockets and take their belts off and have their laptops or tablets ready to be scanned separately
    and
    1 for the "stupid unorganised" people.

I can certainly see your point and would share your annoyance if I were travelling with just a small bag as hand luggage.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 18,721 Posts
    • 43,033 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Maybe we should have 3 queues:
    1 for travellers like you
    1 for travellers like us who have all their liquids & gels in the right sized containers already packaged in the right sized clear re-sealable bag and empty their pockets and take their belts off and have their laptops or tablets ready to be scanned separately
    and
    1 for the "stupid unorganised" people.

I can certainly see your point and would share your annoyance if I were travelling with just a small bag as hand luggage.
    Even better!

Queue 1 - Travelling light
    Queue 2 - Travelling organised
    Queue 3 - Should you really be travelling?

Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 13,503 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Even better!

Queue 1 - Travelling light
    Queue 2 - Travelling organised
    Queue 3 - Should you really be travelling?

Originally posted by peachyprice
    Queue 3 - how you not be organised? I'm flying on next Sunday and I have seen the liquid restrictions on the travel company's website, brochure, documents. Then when I have online checked in on the airline's website, the printed boarding passes. Then there are at least 6 signs in the airport you will walk past. Some are the airline's signs if you are flying with an airline which has those check in/luggage drop off points on a permanent basis.

You are reminded about a dozen times but you don't take notice. Still take large bottles etc, don't put them in a clear see through bqg, don't take out electronics, remove belt etc.

I feel so tempted to say if the person in front of me in security is one of these 'queue 3' numpties something. Though I'm worried that that will stop me from boarding. I'm a queue 2. Take out the things about half way in the queue. Shoes (if needed) when I approach the screening area. Hence why I wear slip on shoes.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 9th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Banning hand luggage altogether would be the easiest way to cut queues at security.

Either that or a zero tolerance approach.

Comply or don't fly.
    Last edited by Nodding Donkey; 09-09-2017 at 7:48 AM.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 13,503 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Banning hand luggage altogether would be the easiest way to cut queues at security.

Either that or a zero tolerance approach.

Comply or don't fly.
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    That would not work. Though I have hold luggage, I have my hand luggage for electronics, travel documents, food - sweets, cereal bars as I get light headed when I travel and refuse to pay £2.50 for a bag of sweets at airport, reading material so the time passes quickly when waiting at departure lounge, gate and in the air. Also, depending on the length of flight, I take a spare t-shirt as I feel fresher for changing.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Sep 17, 9:53 AM
    • 18,547 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    agrinnall
    That would not work. Though I have hold luggage, I have my hand luggage for electronics, travel documents, food - sweets, cereal bars as I get light headed when I travel and refuse to pay £2.50 for a bag of sweets at airport, reading material so the time passes quickly when waiting at departure lounge, gate and in the air. Also, depending on the length of flight, I take a spare t-shirt as I feel fresher for changing.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    But those are just your choices, are you saying that if hand luggage was banned you would give up flying because you can't have a cheap cereal bar?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 15,563 Posts
    • 11,345 Thanks
    hollydays
    If you need wheels on your suitcase then I'd suggest it's no longer "hand luggage"
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Then your suggestion would be incorrect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin