Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 29th Aug 17, 8:09 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 19Thanks
    boxedin
    Barclays Online Stockbrokers Account
    • 29th Aug 17, 8:09 AM
    Barclays Online Stockbrokers Account 29th Aug 17 at 8:09 AM
    Anyone having difficulty getting access to their accounts online. I was told by email they would be sending a membership no either by post or email but have neither
Page 2
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 31st Aug 17, 11:03 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Thanks for the information I have a Nationwide card reader but I don't have a Barclays card because I am not a barclays bank account holder I am an investment account holder cash being transferred into account from outside bank so I can't use PINsentry anyway unless I get a bank account

So I can't get in touch by email as its too commercially sensitive and I cant send them a secure message so I have to ring them and it takes them over 40 min to answer

Just booted me out on login after 2224 error and then wsod freeze when I clicked on contact button back in on re logging in

They seem to be driven by security and regulatory issues at the expense of customer service.

The issue is they have put a note on my BUR 3 issue corporate bond saying its no longer eligible for an isa
    which is the first I have heard of it
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 31st Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Just had confirmed by Barclays that the note that the bond is no longer eligible for an isa is an error as a result of the changeover they are working on fixing it for those products that are being flagged up as such
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 31st Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Write up in investors chronicle
    https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/managing-your-money/2017/08/31/barclays-working-to-fix-smart-investor-launch-problems/
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 31st Aug 17, 9:06 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    There is also a forum on citywire which lists the issues and general views on the situation for those interested

http://moneyforums.citywire.co.uk/yaf_postst4564_Disaster-at-Barclays-Stockbrokers.aspx
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 1st Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    taylornj
    They seem to be driven by security and regulatory issues at the expense of customer service.
    Originally posted by boxedin
    Not that I can see, I sent a secure e-mail complaint, (you don't need a PINSentry device - but it's difficult to find).

Asking how they got past a PCI-DSS audit. First the level of encryption is reported by a old chrome browser as substandard. They expose the fact they are using IIS 8.0, which means Windows 2012 Server is being used. Windows 2016 Server is current, I don't do windows things any more but 2012 might be getting to End of Life why go with 2012 on something new?

I know Nationwide uses Windows servers, and compared the encryption level/ciphers and theirs is much high than Barclays reports. Also Nationwide mask the details of the server, by using a load balancer to a server farm - rather than give a clue like using IIS 8.0, so you know what form of attacks might work against the site.

The whole SmartInvestor thing goes against the basic security principals. The one thing you don't do is locate different parts of your business with different security requirement on the same servers, because you end up with the lowest common level of security.
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 1st Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    taylornj
    Just had confirmed by Barclays that the note that the bond is no longer eligible for an isa is an error as a result of the changeover they are working on fixing it for those products that are being flagged up as such
    Originally posted by boxedin
    Thanks I hold Bonds in my ISA, I also hold some BUR bonds. Only good thing are the dealing charges on bond go down as before had to telephone to deal and that was expensive. Same with funds.
    • backfoot
    • By backfoot 1st Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 2,681 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    backfoot
    What have they done !! The new system is a shambles, lacks decent navigation, has reduced functionality and half of the user guide tools leave you in a white screen lockout.
    Contact either through phone, webchat or email is impossible or impossibly long winded. Really if you wanted to pee off your customers this is a textbook case.
    They have another week or I am transferring to my other broker or to a new one.
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 4th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Bit of a write up here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/barclays-stockbrokers-switchdraws-complaints/
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 4th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Also the investors chronicle the comments section probably being the most accurate reflection of the state of the service.
    https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/managing-your-money/2017/08/31/barclays-working-to-fix-smart-investor-launch-problems/
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 4th Sep 17, 3:27 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Another write up here on citywire
    http://citywire.co.uk/money/protest-as-barclays-botches-stockbroking-relaunch/a1046086?ref=citywire-money-latest-news-list
    • SoggyMoggy
    • By SoggyMoggy 6th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    SoggyMoggy
    They have another week or I am transferring to my other broker or to a new one.
    Originally posted by backfoot
    I fully intend to leave, but I'm going to sit tight for a bit - if you read through the comments on the Investors Chronicle article linked above, many have already tried to transfer out, and found themselves floating in limbo, with 6 - 12 weeks being quoted for transfers, and also many unable to trade whilst the transfer is in progress.

What a mess. You'd think a company as well-established as Barclays would be able to get it right, but apparently common sense is anything but!
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 6th Sep 17, 3:30 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Yes soggy moggy unless you sell down to cash and transfer that way it could be a long slow process to shift.

Also TD and III investor are in the process of merging to be the 2nd largest platform after HL so a move to either may mean that if they mess up the consolidation of the commercial or platform model you could be worse off for moving to either of those two thinks its best wait and see how that goes

AJ Bell is an obvious move for my SIPP as it is the Barclays sipp is just a badged AJ Bell sipp. But I don't think there is a lot of money to be saved going that route for me need to do some more work there

I noticed that you have to reset up any DD's after the Barclays transfer so I have set that in motion should only take a few days but needs doing in order to move cash between Barclays and external bank account.

I also noticed today that they have changed the appearance of the portfolio hub screen so it shows total/cash available/%annual increase . If you go into the detail screen it shows total cash and share value across all accounts now all they have to do is transpose onto hub page and change the % share price to 15min delayed and that would be looking a bit more like

I am using google finance (free) to enter in my holdings to give me an intraday snapshot of the movement of my holdings and once logged in through chrome with gmail it is quick and I don't have to log in and out all the time

Also have Digital Look open and https://www.investegate.co.uk/ for rns's
    • pvt
    • By pvt 6th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    Alastair Thaw responds to criticism:

http://citywire.co.uk/money/give-us-another-try-barclays-urges-stockbroker-clients/a1046883?re=49005&ea=1068412&utm_source=BulkEmail_ Money_Daily_Summary&utm_medium=BulkEmail_Money_Dai ly_Summary&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_Money_Daily_Summ ary
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 6th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Unwilling to acknowledge its their mistake, blaming the customers for not understanding the website, so why are the changing the website in September?

They have already made some changes to make information available where you need it and I am sure they will continue to scramble to rectify the many bugs and shortcomings whilst all the time claiming its the customers fault and slow timing those that want to escape their clutches.

I think I'll sit tight for a while until the rush dies down and check out AJ Bell as an alternative for at least my SIPP and either HL or the amalgamated TD/iii when they have successfully combined platforms
    • taylornj
    • By taylornj 7th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    taylornj
    Getting a message 16th Sept site will not be available down for maintenance. I doubt many major problems will be fixed until then.

Things like encryption/ciphers changes on the servers require a reboot to take effect.
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 11th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    Telegraph sticking the knife in.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/news/barclays-stockbrokers-row-switch/
    • pvt
    • By pvt 20th Sep 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    I guess Barclays were never going to say "we're losing a significant number of clients", but this article does quote a number of rival brokers describing a huge influx of money from Barclays clients:

http://citywire.co.uk/money/stockbroker-clients-abandon-barclays-for-rivals/a1051050?ref=citywire-money-latest-news-list
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • boxedin
    • By boxedin 22nd Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    boxedin
    They had the system down yesterday for maintenance and there seem to be some changes as there is a portfolio view now showing cash in each account and Investments button which shows a complete list of all holdings across portfolios on one screen. Now if they can get us back the daily % increase
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 22nd Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    dividendhero
    I recently used Barclays new site for the first time - my verdict? It's utter tosh, looks like it's been done as a fifth form school project..and got an "E" grade
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 22nd Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Mchambers
    People....Leave Barclays and join someone else. Complain to Barclays via em to save postage costs.

Dreadful company. They will hate the bad press and losing customers.

I still think that the digital eagle adverts are a joke; especially when their ceo Jes Staley fell for an email scam a few months ago from someone pretending to be the chairman after their AGM.

Please remember that Barclays and 4 of their execs (including their ex-ceo John Varley) will be prosecuted for fraud in 2019. Anyone remember Judge Rawlings in Porridge ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin