Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 28th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 71Thanks
    ard123en
    Making the most of solar
    • 28th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    Making the most of solar 28th Aug 17 at 10:44 PM
    Hi folks moved this from another section

We are about to take the plunge and buy solar looking at a 4.5 kw system for £5750 with monitor down to panel level. Had quotes from £4500 to 8k so somewhere in the middle with more monitoring and options for Tesla's battery later

I'm wondering if anyone charges leisure batteries during the sun shine to run lights at night. Tried a proof of today charged a battery pack up and been running my lounge lamps via inverter for the last 2 hours.
Page 2
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 29th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ard123en
    I'm toying with adding to off grid solar to the garage run the fridge and freezer out there
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 29th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    pinnks
    Silly question perhaps but what would run them at night - battery I presume but all sounds quite expensive to save perhaps £50 per year
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 29th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 9,968 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Silly question perhaps but what would run them at night - battery I presume but all sounds quite expensive to save perhaps £50 per year
    Originally posted by pinnks
    Perhaps, and I really haven't thought this through, but a chest freezer, with some extra insulation added to all sides (avoiding the heat exchange parts), turned up to super cool, so it gets through the nights.

Less generation in the winter, but less heat too.

Not sure this is wise, safe nor economic, but throwing it out there!
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 29th Sep 17, 6:29 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    pinnks
    Often wonder how good that would be for the electronics. Motor is intended to be turned on and off but the rest of it? No idea but others may know.
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • ard123en
    • By ard123en 30th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ard123en
    My other reason for having second off grid solar is to play with DIY power wall and other electronic projects
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 2nd Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    When I lived in Italy the specs for freezers always included their 'autonomia' in hours, presumably on the basis that if you're out in the sticks with OH lines your supply might be more unreliable, and you wouldn't want nonno's jars of home-made passata to defrost. A commonly quoted time I recall, was 14 hours for chest freezers.

In sailing yachts with a similar issue they use eutectic plates (?), and the one I had experience of was certainly efficient enough in chilling down freshly caught tuna!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin