Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tao81
    • By Tao81 28th Aug 17, 7:49 PM
    • 636Posts
    • 420Thanks
    Tao81
    0 WOW
    Online Shopping How do you tell if a site is real or bogus
    • 28th Aug 17, 7:49 PM
    0 WOW
    Online Shopping How do you tell if a site is real or bogus 28th Aug 17 at 7:49 PM
    Hi, I've started to shop online more frequently and up to now have only used really well known company websites I know I can 100% trust, i.e visited their bricks and mortar site and therefore, know they are a real company doing honest business or previously paid over the telephone, been satisfied with goods and delivery, then graduated on to signing up and paying them online.

Burning question for me is....How, with more an more companies springing up, does one tell if a website is a credible shopping site or a potential scam? Tips please, if you have the time. Many Thanks
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 28th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    • 7,548 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    The website should say clearly, sometimes in the Contact Us or Terms and Conditions page, who the seller actually is - usually a Ltd Company and the company registration number. You can check that with Companies House Webcheck and see how long the company's been registered and if they are up to date with their annual accounts filing.

Of course that doesn't guarantee the website actually is operated by that company ... then check with Nominet (for a uk domain) or the relevant domain registrar who owns the website (sometimes called a WHOIS check).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 28th Aug 17, 8:47 PM
    • 31,885 Posts
    • 37,613 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:47 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:47 PM
    Good signs are full telephone number and contact address on the site , no ridiculous cheap prices and real payment options

Red flags , no contact details only an online form , payment by bank transfers , poor English grammar or unfurnished web pages . Some of the scammier sites resurface many times , they sometimes leave names of previous site on the bottom or in the terms
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 28th Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 28th Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    Never pay by bank transfer - little or no protection if things go wrong. Use Paypal or credit/debit card (plenty of info on this site about why!).
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 29th Aug 17, 12:46 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:46 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:46 PM
    Post #3 from Browntoa should be your starting point - In addition

Do a google search on the address . If a different company shows up or you get lots of hits for lots of different companies then this should start alarm bells .
    Do a Streetview search - if you find a semi-detcahed house at the end of a cul-de-sac then again start worrying

This thread has some things to look out for
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5681869

Cannot remember exactly what thread, but a few months ago we found a site where they had lifted photos of all their directors from a different , legitimate ,company. - So if they have any pictures,do a google image search on them and see what comes up

I would definately first send them a message or phone them and see what response you get
    Last edited by dlusman; 29-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 29th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 31,885 Posts
    • 37,613 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    I remember that thread , I posted the reply , cannot find it now so maybe was spammed
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 29th Aug 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 4,186 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:25 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 6:25 PM
    I remember that thread , I posted the reply , cannot find it now so maybe was spammed
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    found it - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5675515
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 30th Aug 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:31 PM
    • 30th Aug 17, 12:31 PM
    Search, using the "search" function on the Praise Warnings & Vents forum and the Consumer Rights forum. A very good starting point!

Sorry - Praise, Vents & Warnings!

Oh, and take no notice of TrustPilot "reviews", they are constantly edited, deleted or otherwise manipulated, have no value whatsoever and many are totally fake.
    Last edited by LadyDee; 30-08-2017 at 2:18 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 30,293 Posts
    • 19,164 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    Even asking a question and if the response is in poor English it could be an indication of 1 site to avoid.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Monika333
    • By Monika333 6th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Monika333
    I'm also one of those who buy online only on the websites that I can totaly trust. So, thanks for these useful tips, guys!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter