Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 28th Aug 17, 4:08 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 77Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Request for advice on getting an error on my Experian report corrected
    • 28th Aug 17, 4:08 PM
    Request for advice on getting an error on my Experian report corrected 28th Aug 17 at 4:08 PM
    Earlier this month, I was declined for two credit cards on the same day (in both cases I was offered a card, but a lesser deal than the one I was actually applying for), so I've given the CRAs a pull to see what's up.

I think I've spotted the issue on my Experian report: in the July update, my Nationwide Credit Card shows a minimum payment flagged as a non-promotional rate. So it looks like I've fallen off the end of the 0% period but continued to only make the minimum payments to that card, which is not the case. On the August update, the promotional rate flag is back to "Y" as it should be (the 0% promotion expires in January).

Is it even possible to get this fixed? I will speak to Nationwide tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to say to them, as I assume they will either have no idea what I'm talking about or will try to fob me off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 28th Aug 17, 4:18 PM
    • 7,524 Posts
    • 7,556 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 28th Aug 17, 4:18 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 4:18 PM
    You should ask in the Credit Files and Ratings Forum - a board guide will move the thread if you let them know.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 28th Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 28th Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    When Nationwide made a mistake on my report a few years back, they never did fix it despite saying in a letter that they would. When I complained, they said that it was an "oversight", said they'd fix it, sent me two bottles of wine, but still didn't fix it. Well I gave up asking as I didn't need more credit at the time.

So good luck!

But I wonder if a one-off flag indicating you made a minimum payment on a non-promo rate is really so much worse than making a making the same minimum payment against a promo rate.

Perhaps in future always pay £1 more than the minimum payment so you never get a minimum payment marker. I don't use DD, so easy for me. If you use DD, then make sure you understand the interaction between DDs and manual payments.

PS I once got a "minimum payment marker" on a "non-promo" balance with, I think, Tesco. The balance was £1.22, so the minimum was £1.22. I paid £1.22... and got the marker!!
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 28th Aug 17, 5:06 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 28th Aug 17, 5:06 PM
    • 28th Aug 17, 5:06 PM
    I have to admit, your story did bring a smile to my face. I know it's no laughing matter, but the way you wrote it tickled me :-)

I have a DD set up to make the minimum payments, and I think part of the problem may be that these are usually shown as promo rate, but not minimum payments. July's update was shown as minimum, and non-promo.

It does seem to be affecting me, as I can't see anything else on the report that could be seen as negative. I know it's pretty meaningless, but I get my Credit Score free through Barclaycard, and it's down at 912 this month, so it all ties in. It can only be this Nationwide error, as far as I can see.

I'll give the NW a call tomorrow anyway and see what they say.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 6th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    It does seem to be affecting me, as I can't see anything else on the report that could be seen as negative.
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs

OK, I'm a complete muppet. I've just executed a large cash advance on my Halifax credit card haven't I. I completely forgot about that, and it would certainly explain why I'm not being offered the headline deals. I'm losing it in my old age, you know.

(Nationwide have indeed made a minor error, but I doubt it's that that's having a significant impact on my perceived credit-worthiness. Much more likely the cash advance that's screwing me.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin