Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dw85
    • By dw85 27th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 168Posts
    • 159Thanks
    dw85
    Flea Treatment Prescriptions - Thoughts?
    • 27th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    Flea Treatment Prescriptions - Thoughts? 27th Aug 17 at 11:46 AM
    Hi all,
    ive been browsing the forum and whilst there is a similar thread about prescriptions for medications, (call me naive!) i wondered whether any of you had the same for prescription flea treatment.

Our vet charges double the internet price (which seems to be standard) if you buy in practice...or charges £14 per prescription (so £28 for two cats). Being our first time doing this, i asked for a prescription and they would only do three months.
    Just to add, my two cats have been using the same treatment (Advocate) since they were young so no changes as their weight and health are stable.

Online price is £11 per 3 treatments, plus the £14...theres no saving...

Now, if i could 6 months or 12 months...then it would be a saving (plus once you add on fuel/time etc).
    The vet is happy to see the cats once a year for booster jabs so i guess my questions are:
    a) how long will they prescribe flea treament for?
    b) how do you make this moneysaving for you?

thanks!
    Last edited by dw85; 27-08-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 27th Aug 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 27th Aug 17, 2:01 PM
    • 27th Aug 17, 2:01 PM
    It is up to your vet how long they will prescribe at a time.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 28th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5,810 Posts
    • 11,985 Thanks
    krlyr
    • 28th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    • 28th Aug 17, 10:05 AM
    This recent thread covers some points re. RCVS guidelines that might answer your question
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5698784
    • dw85
    • By dw85 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dw85
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    Thank you for the thread link.

I think it may have been partly me not being more specific when requesting the prescription. Next time i will be asking for at least 6 months, and trying for a year.
    I spoke to the online company i ordered the prescription from (Petdrugsuk) who also thought it shouldnt be a problem to get this length of prescription from my vet when i next take the cats in for their yearly booster.
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,984Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin