Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ross1976
    • By ross1976 27th Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ross1976
    HMRC wont accept offer
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    HMRC wont accept offer 27th Aug 17 at 10:51 AM
    Looking for a little advice.

My first ever post

Last month 18th July I received a letter from HMRC saying i owe £3800 in unpaid tax plus fines of £662 this is for tax years 12/13 13/14 14/15. in the space of one months i have found out about the debt had demands for payment and threatening letters for door step collection. I immediately phoned HMRC and was told this was for over £50K child benefit tax. This has now been explained to me and i understand it however HMRC will not accept an offer from me. The first offer of £100 was rejected and the second of £150 was rejected. The lady i spoke to said make the £150 payment anyway to show your willing so i did and have been. I have since received several letters asking to pay in full or they will be on my doorstep. I called back to discus again and was told the amount was too little, i have accepted the debt but until i am back on my feet after 2 years of unemployment i cant afford anymore. I did find this interesting though, I asked for all correspondence relating to this debt going back to 2012 to which i was told the only communication they have sent was related to my company car in 2013, The HMRC adviser had a chuckle Literally laughed and said we haven't sent you anything in relation to this debt. I asked how would i know i owed the money if you haven't sent any communications he replied i see what your saying and you wouldn't know. i got put through to another team within HMRC and the arrogance was you owe the money and have to pay. the offer is still not being accepted but i`m still paying.
    I owe the money thats fine my real problem is this wouldn't have got to this stage if i had known about it.
    I just think its ridiculous that i have gone back to work after 2 years i have received this demand they wont accept my offer and they know they didn't send my any communication, at best i think the fines are not fare.

Any advice greatly appreciate
Page 2
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 15th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    copperclock
    It did seem like a strange introduction to the whole thing. It started in the middle of a tax year and, suddenly, huge numbers of employed people who had never done a tax return before were liable to do one. I think that they might have sent letters out to high earners, but this was probably hit and miss. No wonder so many people didn't jump on it right away.
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 15th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    copperclock
    I did - anodyne, very much on the lines of the excuses offered in the bbc link in my post above and no explanation at all of why total household income was not taken into account.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    This is the part that really sticks in the throat. Especially as the income tax bill for a single-high-earner family will also be higher than that of the same income shared between two people.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    sheramber
    I too am in a similar position. They have applied charges going back to 2014 (when I returned to the UK from working abroad).

I found it incredible that they hid behind the excuse that it was well advertised at the time, yet my reason of not being in the country at the time was not considered a valid enough reason.

As you say, if, at the time of the first discrepancy, they had informed us of such changes, I could have dealt with it at the time. However, to not inform me, for 3 years, then go back and apply penalties, just seems unfair.

Before they calculated the charges, I had been informed of the due amount. I had contacted HMRC, and have made arrangements to repay this on a monthly basis, without hesitation or appeal. I do not disagree with the back taxes due.

However, I do disagree, entirely, that I would be due the charges. Mostly accrued through their inability to inform me in a timely fashion. I mean, it's not like they wouldn't have seen I wasn't in the UK system for a couple years. I wasn't, obviously, receiving any benefits, nor was I earning any money in the UK, so I wasn't paying any taxes in the UK, at the time of the change. A thing they would have known, as they did point out to me that letters were drawn up and sent to everyone who would be eligible for this extra taxation. And I was not in receipt of said letter.

A simple letter, at the end of the tax year in 2014 (the first end of tax year since my return), and this would have all been sorted.

I have since made an appeal. And today, before hearing a response from the appeal, I got another demand for payment. I called them up, got sent through to the compliance centre, who has since informed me my appeal, on the grounds of not being in the country to observe the national promotion of the new system, has been rejected. How this is not a valid enough excuse is beyond me? I consider it not a valid enough excuse to not inform me for 3 years that I am doing it wrong. I suppose they can be forgiven for not knowing I didn't have a TV license either at the time, so didn't watch TV, and don't read the papers, so wouldn't really have known about the campaign most likely, even if I were in the country.
    Originally posted by xs2man

Did you fill in a claim form for child benefit when you claimed it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter