Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kerryann84
    • By Kerryann84 26th Aug 17, 9:47 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Kerryann84
    Anxiety and depression?
    • 26th Aug 17, 9:47 PM
    Anxiety and depression? 26th Aug 17 at 9:47 PM
    Six months ago, I was off sick with gallstones and it seems since then everything has gone wrong and I'm not sure if it's due to anxiety and depression. I was off for two months, and when it was time to go back to work, I couldn't get myself to do it, i was constantly panicking and worrying about doing so and ended up getting another job. I ended up going through the same things, I did before I left my last job. Constantly worrying about everything, my appearance, whether or not I'd be good at the job etc and I tried to force myself to go to work but just couldn't do it and in they end they let me go. Ever since then, it just seems to get ever worse. I'm getting headaches, I find it difficult to sleep at night and even harder to get up in the morning, and I feel sick all the time. Then there's the fact, that I've been putting it all down to feeling sorry for myself, which is why I've put off seeing the doctor because a part of me feels like I'm making this up and it's causing even more stress. It feels like a constant weight on my chest, and it's getting more painful.

Is there a way to talk to someone about this, without being face to face. I feel like if I made an appointment to see the doctor, I would talk myself out of going.
Page 1
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 26th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 26th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    • 26th Aug 17, 10:44 PM
    With my GP's, there's little chance of actually getting a face to face appointment. Nearly all of it is done over the phone. Would you find it easier to talk to them in a telephone consultation?

Or, Mind have a good advice line. Here's a link. They also give details of other charities you could speak to. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisis-services/telephone-support/#.WaHq2NHTWhA
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 27th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 9,980 Posts
    • 55,945 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    • 27th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 27th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    Hi Kerry.

When you say problems with gall stones...was this resolved. Could there still be some underlying issue. I ask because you mention "feeling sick" although of course nausea could be linked to depression.

Might it be worth just checking everything is ok.

Then you could mention how you feel mentally and emotionally at the same time ......
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 27th Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    mariposa687
    • 27th Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    • 27th Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    Do try and go see your doctor if possible, so many people struggle with anxiety and depression. You are in no way alone in this. I was in a job that made me anxious and depressed - I didn't pass my probation. Horrible time but a few months later I have a new job with an employer who does actually value my skills, and some great colleagues. So that's another thing to bear in mind, things can always change for the better.

On a practical level, there is an App called 'Calm' which you might find useful to help you sleep. Don't be afraid to call someone like the Samaritans either if you feel really low, I had a friend who did and they said it really helped. There are some really great books you can read. There are people who can help you and there are ways through this.
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 27th Aug 17, 10:13 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Annie35
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:13 PM
    • 27th Aug 17, 10:13 PM
    id 2nd 'lessonlearned' post, how have you had the stones fixed?

If they're building up again it will feel like a pressure on your chest & the anxiety of this feeling is going to be as you describe & just escalate (as you describe).
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 28th Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    • 28th Aug 17, 8:18 AM
    Hi your confidence could also be low being off work for a while.
    Do try to talk to your doctor or contact mind for help. x
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 29th Aug 17, 3:44 PM
    • 12,181 Posts
    • 11,502 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:44 PM
    • 29th Aug 17, 3:44 PM
    OP I just wondered if you'd thought about a phoned appointment? Whilst not ideal, it's harder to talk yourself out of if the appointment comes to your home. I think most surgeries offer this and if the GP felt they needed to see you they could then make an appointment and having already discussed what the appointment is about, it may feel easier to go.

Failing this, have you got a friend or relative you could take with you for moral support? They don't need to be at the appointment or even know why they are there with you (other than you're worried you wont show so they need to make sure you do get to the appointment without backing out).

I don't know if it helps, but there will be help of some sort available but it can and does seem to vary from postcode to postcode owing to NHS funding and other political decisions. I am not clear on the NICE (National Institute for health and Care Excellence -the "rules" that all treatments are held account to) and it can vary depending on diagnosis and so on but there will be something available to help and maybe even suggest other treatments to try if you feel you need more help after this (the reason I say this is because sometimes people decline treatment because they feel it's not going to be enough or help but the fact you've got a foot in the door so to speak is important as you can discuss other treatments if it turns out it wasn't enough).

If you find it helpful, there are online support groups which you can join and also charities which are a bit more....up to date with the way you can use them, eg REACH works with text messages, MIND will offer groups and activities as well as talking over the phone or in person with you at shorter notice as well as signposting to other services at a faster rate and possibly with more contacts than the NHS seems to offer and the Samaritans are contactable and offer counselling/a listening ear via both phone call and email.

I hope you manage to speak to your GP though, even if you find something that works for you in the community, (eg one of the charities) it's always wise to keep your GP informed of all parts of your health when it comes to serious things such as your mental health for many reasons and you never know, they might actually be able to help you
    • paj1193
    • By paj1193 6th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    paj1193
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    anxiety & depression help
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    You can try calling the national suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255. Even though you only mentioned anxiety and depression, these are two epidemics affecting millions of people around the world and it could lead to something more serious if it is not dealt with in the early stages. There is always someone available to talk on this hotline and it's less pressure than going through the process of finding a doctor. This may also give you the confidence you need to seek further mental health care from a therapist or counselor. I hope this helps!
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Sep 17, 12:09 AM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 3,238 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:09 AM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:09 AM
    You can try calling the national suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
    Originally posted by paj1193
    Probably an expensive phone call from the UK to the US :-(
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 7th Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    alanq
    Probably an expensive phone call from the UK to the US :-(
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Especially when calls to Samaritans on 116 123 are free.

They are not just there for people who are suicidal.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • derekmo
    • By derekmo 12th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    derekmo
    Kerryan what place do you live? When last time you were in a forest and feel the nature? Try it instead
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,924Posts Today

7,954Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin