Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 26th Aug 17, 4:16 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    My 'friend' cancelled my holiday
    • 26th Aug 17, 4:16 PM
    My 'friend' cancelled my holiday 26th Aug 17 at 4:16 PM
    A friend of mine is getting married soon and 3 of us decided to take her away on a mini hen holiday.
    We had agreed to do a ferry trip to St Malo Jersey but one of the girls found a holiday in Faro. It was £1100 and she said she would cover the bride if the other 2 of us chipped in £200 each because That was the price limit we had agreed.
    After it was booked she asked for more money but I've just moved house and simply didn't have it.

Fast forward to 2 days ago and there was a bit of an argument about the costs of parking. I had offered to drive and was shocked at £80 for 4 days parking. The girl who booked the holiday told me just to be grateful she had paid all the extra and £80 for parking was reasonable.

The next morning at 4am I pick up the bride and am surprised the other 2 have taken a taxi. I drive to the airport to be told my ticket has been cancellled and I am no longer welcome. My question is how do I get the money back?

It cost £200 plus £80 for parking plus £78 for an Airbnb cancellation fee as I had let my flat for the weekend. If she won't refund can I take her to small claims?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:28 PM.
Page 2
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    • 59,946 Posts
    • 350,397 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Top tip for the future: NEVER, EVER, get involved in anything to do with weddings, hen dos etc.... they are frequented by mad moos.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 28th Aug 17, 12:32 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    JReacher1
    Top tip for the future: NEVER, EVER, get involved in anything to do with weddings, hen dos etc.... they are frequented by mad moos.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You're a barrel of fun!
    • Gambler101
    • By Gambler101 28th Aug 17, 6:01 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Gambler101
    OP you need new friends lol
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX
    • karcher
    • By karcher 28th Aug 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    karcher
    This is one of those threads I want to know the outcome of (curiosity killed the cat!), but sense we'll be left in the dark!

Hope the OP proves me wrong when the hen party returns
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 29th Aug 17, 2:04 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    Update: the bride extracted my money from the organiser. Apparently she sat over her whilst she sent it.
    The bride doesn't do confrontation and was put in an impossible situation. I had no desire to spent time with either of the other 2 friends of the bride after that so am pleased I stayed at home.
    I have people I actually like I can spend time with so am doing that!

No I haven't spoken to any of them and will be giving a wide birth at the wedding
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 29th Aug 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 1,825 Thanks
    AndyPix
    They were a joy when I picked them up at the airport.
    Originally posted by Wanderingpomm

Wait .. You mean you went and picked them up at the airport on their way back ?
    Even after all that ?!!

I suggest you could do a lot better in the friend department, they dont deserve you
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • photome
    • By photome 29th Aug 17, 5:01 PM
    • 12,678 Posts
    • 8,160 Thanks
    photome
    Even after all that ?!!

I suggest you could do a lot better in the friend department, they dont deserve you
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I missed that bit about the pick up.

OP, just why?
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 29th Aug 17, 5:10 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    ElefantEd

No I haven't spoken to any of them and will be giving a wide birth at the wedding
    Will it be twins or triplets do you think?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 29th Aug 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 10,634 Thanks
    karcher
    Even after all that ?!!

Where did the OP say they had done that? I can't find that post?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 29th Aug 17, 5:28 PM
    • 28,225 Posts
    • 71,813 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Yes, the organiser drinks too much and there were some abusive messages at 2:31 about how I was obnoxious and that all the brides friends hated me. They were a joy when I picked them up at the airport. Shame I can't post screen dumps.
    I can't imagine anyone would have kicked off at the airport, it would have achieved nothing apart from upsetting the bride who is one of my oldest friends.
    Where did the OP say they had done that? I can't find that post?
    Originally posted by karcher
    Post 10..............
    • killergibbo
    • By killergibbo 30th Aug 17, 9:21 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    killergibbo
    the bride isn't no friend to you, if she was then she would of stood her ground and told her other friends they were out of order and that she wont be going. thats what you call a true friend
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 30th Aug 17, 9:33 AM
    • 10,780 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I read the post as the OP was referring to the text messages that were sent....

Some abusive messages at 2:31 about how I was obnoxious and that all the brides friends hated me. They were a joy when I picked them up at the airport. Shame I can't post screen dumps.
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 30th Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    Even after all that ?!!

No I picked up the messages at the airport! The girls can find their own way home!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 30th Aug 17, 10:48 AM
    • 10,013 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    neilmcl
    the bride isn't no friend to you, if she was then she would of stood her ground and told her other friends they were out of order and that she wont be going. thats what you call a true friend
    Originally posted by killergibbo
    You might want to check your double negatives
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 6th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 2,483 Thanks
    Teacher2
    The organiser of the holiday sounds like a nightmare and you are better off not being part of this trip.

Try to stay calm and concentrate on ghetting your £200 back. Once you have it drop the awful organiser and avoid her in future. Stay friends with the bride and enjoy her wedding.

I think you would be best placed to put the car park and other fees down to experience, 'suck up' the loss and avoid similar situations in future.

Personally, I would not become involved in any loosely arranged financial scheme but would nail the obligations and write them down from the start. A good way to be on top of similar schemes is to be the one to orgainise them yourself. You can then treat others honestly and fairly and gain as good a reputation as your horrible 'friend' will gain a bad one.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 6th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    pearl123
    This is why I avoid going away with friends.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Sep 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 27,324 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I can't wait for the wedding photos!
    Watching the trail
    of cheap supermarket bags filled with a lfe gone by
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Sep 17, 1:28 PM
    • 29,966 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by pearl123
    Nothing wrong with that as long as each person pays for they're own flight and hotel. Been away a few times with friends with no issues, trusting each other had a big part to play in it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 12,678 Posts
    • 8,160 Thanks
    photome
    Originally posted by pearl123
    I go away with friends every year for a weekend abroad, never had any issues.

maybe its just your friends
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 6th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 5,611 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Yes, the organiser drinks too much and there were some abusive messages at 2:31 about how I was obnoxious and that all the brides friends hated me. They were a joy when I picked them up at the airport. Shame I can't post screen dumps.
    I can't imagine anyone would have kicked off at the airport, it would have achieved nothing apart from upsetting the bride who is one of my oldest friends.
    You're just coming across as a massive walkover tbh. toughen up
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin