Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arodnap
    • By arodnap 25th Aug 17, 4:28 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    arodnap
    Someone please help
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:28 PM
    Someone please help 25th Aug 17 at 4:28 PM
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice, help or any pointers to help get me out of the hole I'm in. I'm at my wits end and cannot see a way out.

I currently have an overdraft of £4000 for which I'm being charged around £103.59 per month (Payments comprise of: an account fee - £17, overdraft interest - £80.59* and overdraft charge - £6.). These charges will rise in October to around £200 per month under HBoS new charge system of 1p per £7 owed per day.

With the same bank, I have maxed credit card of £2000 for which I pay around £60 month and most of this goes to interest, leaving around two or three pounds being deducted from the balance each month.

I also have council tax debts of around £6500 following a long an convoluted issue involving the property as I did not live in it for several years. I'm paying this back to debt company at £80 per month any attempt to negotiate this down has resulted in threats.

I was self-employed until April of last year but I could no longer keep the company going and pay myself a wage let alone make a profit. I paid off all due taxes and costs and had the company struck off. Since then I've had great difficulty in finding any work of any type, from cleaning to caring I can't even get anyone to give me an interview. I live in a fairly rural location in Scotland, with few transport options and having already sold the car to make ends meet, I don't know where to turn. I have no family to ask for help.

My partner has been subsidising all of the above charges for the past year but was unfortunately made redundant in July. However, two weeks ago started a new job but has to wait six weeks for the first pay.

I own my house on a mortgage but have no way to re-mortgage as I have no income to get access to the equity. I couldn't even afford to sell it if I wanted to. I have tried to discuss my situation with the bank but was basically told they would aim to repossess my home to cover my outstanding debts. The house is all we have left. Our mortgage is interest only and around £100 per month.

I applied for benefits but was told I was not entitled to anything as I had missed some payments in my National Insurance contributions during the dwindling of my business and because my partner worked and I owned the property. Apparently, these things are contribution based in recent timeframe.

I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer me any advice on where to start? I feel like I'm a mud filled hole and sinking deeper every day. I've worked solidly for 21 years and fell like it's all been for nothing. I know this is all my own fault and I should have made better decisions but retrospect doesn't help now.

Can anyone advise me on anything I can do?
Page 2
    • arodnap
    • By arodnap 28th Aug 17, 5:40 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    arodnap
    Arodnap, it would be for your partner to apply for WTC, not you.

Good luck at the Jobcentre. All they are interested in are the facts.

I'm on a DMP and since being on it, have managed to open an account with Metro Bank without any hassles.
    Originally posted by patman99
    It was a joint claim we filed per the online forms.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 28th Aug 17, 6:17 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    Arodnap, it would be for your partner to apply for WTC, not you.

Good luck at the Jobcentre. All they are interested in are the facts.

I'm on a DMP and since being on it, have managed to open an account with Metro Bank without any hassles.
    Originally posted by patman99

I agree with the above. Ask your partner to make a claim for working tax credit & try your council for council tax claim
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • arodnap
    • By arodnap 8th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    arodnap
    Hi all,

I've effectively defaulted the bank account overdrafts and written to them explaining my circumstances and asking for them to freeze and interest payments. So far, no acknowledgement of my letter. I did the same with my Credit Card and received a letter back within 72 hours, requesting a statement income and expenditure. I'm carefully working through this. They also ask for details of other debtors, should I provide this?

Unfortunately, I got a letter from the DWP yesterday telling me that I am indeed not entitled to JSA as I did not have full NI contributions in 2016/2017 and we're not entitles to any other benefits despite there being 23 full years of NI in the pot for me alone. The person I spoke to on the phone suggested I see my house to fund my job seeking. I was nothing short of livid. So, no idea what to do now. I've applied for over 50 jobs since the start of the month and have yet to hear back on anything...
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 8th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Mnd
    50 pounds on phones is huge! I pay 20 for 2 phones
    • arodnap
    • By arodnap 8th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    arodnap
    50 pounds on phones is huge! I pay 20 for 2 phones
    Originally posted by Mnd
    Well, that's marvellous! I'm sure some people pay a lot less than that too but as they provide the main source of access to the internet and phone (all calls and texts are inclusive with 30GB of data) it's not that bad a deal bearing in mind the two phones are 12 months into a 24 month contract and half of the amount on each is paying for the handset. No amount of renegotiation will get them to drop the monthly payment.

It wasn't always like this, we did once both have good, well paid jobs and used to be able to pay bills. Apologies for hitting hard times!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin