Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Susy909
    • By Susy909 25th Aug 17, 4:22 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Susy909
    SIPP - Most common fund choices?
    • 25th Aug 17, 4:22 PM
    SIPP - Most common fund choices? 25th Aug 17 at 4:22 PM
    Hello, new poster but have browsed for years.
    I plan to withdraw pension in 30 years (in twenties). My SIPP is around £75000.

Do you think a split between the Consensus 85 and Vanguard 2050 target retirement fund would be a decent choice? What are other common funds? I'm only looking for growth that matches inflation, nothing too risky.

What would you do?
Page 3
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 29th Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Audaxer
    I have no issues with multiple multi-asset funds. Indeed, I frequently do that as a way to keep within the £50k FSCS limits.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    dunstonh, from previous threads/posts I thought you are other posters didn't think the £50k FSCS limit was a concern as regard major fund houses and platforms.

I have been a bit wary about investing over £50k in either one fund house or one platform, but I thought I was being a bit paranoid as I seemed to be alone in being concerned about that. Are you saying it is safer to keep with the £50k limit as regards platforms and fund houses?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Aug 17, 11:35 PM
    • 89,436 Posts
    • 54,898 Thanks
    dunstonh
    dunstonh, from previous threads/posts I thought you are other posters didn't think the £50k FSCS limit was a concern as regard major fund houses and platforms.
    Its not. However, why take the chance when you dont need to?

Endowments never failed.... until they did.
    SCARPS never failed.... until they did.
    Lehmans would never fail.... but it did.

With multi-asset funds, it is easy to add in multiple ones. And as most portfolios get bigger, they move to single sector funds and with 10 or so funds covering the main sectors, you are going to have multiple fund houses anyway. So, much of the time, you are going to avoid the issue naturally.

Its a very low level of risk. So, i wouldnt lose sleep over it but if you can avoid it, then you may as well.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 30th Aug 17, 12:12 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 7,946 Thanks
    Living proof
    And at the other end of the scale, what sort of SIPP investment would you suggest for someone approaching SRA who will comfortably live on state pension and income from tax free sources.

I have several Isas maturing so I am thinking of initially putting £30,000 into a SIPP to benefit from the tax being added in at 20% and I will only use any drawdown in the future for wants rather than needs. I believe I can do this as I have a very small pension policy which will mature in August 2018 and this too can be transferred to the SIPP. Obviously I am not in it for the long game like younger members of the forum, and I would be keen for you knowledgeable lot out there to let me know what you think!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 31st Aug 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Malthusian
    And at the other end of the scale, what sort of SIPP investment would you suggest for someone approaching SRA who will comfortably live on state pension and income from tax free sources.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Depends on how much you view it as a fund for future luxuries and how much as a tax-efficient investment fund to eventually pass on to your family. Your post suggests it is at least partly the former.

If it was the latter and you had a normal life expectancy, you could take the same adventurous approach (without risking permanent losses) as someone in the pre-retirement accumulation phase. If it is more the former you would take more of a balanced approach, as luxuries or not, it would still be annoying if you wanted to spend money on a cruise or a new kitchen but were dissuaded from doing so by a market crash.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 31st Aug 17, 4:39 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    The FSCS limits aren't a consideration for me as I live in the US......but I don't think I'd bother with them for my equity and bond investments if I was in the UK anyway. I like Vanguard's structure where the funds own the company......and the shareholders own the funds.......and I have no problem investing above 50k in a single fund.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Susy909
    • By Susy909 8th Sep 17, 2:25 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Susy909
    I've decided to go with the prufund growth, only thing is they want 3% advisory charge to set it up.

Does anyone know an execution IFA in Scotland?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Sep 17, 7:23 PM
    • 9,907 Posts
    • 6,325 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I've decided to go with the prufund growth, only thing is they want 3% advisory charge to set it up.

Does anyone know an execution IFA in Scotland?
    Originally posted by Susy909
    What's the pot size?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,070Posts Today

4,551Users online

Martin's Twitter