Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 25th Aug 17, 12:40 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Sb1971
    Gladstones court letter parking on double yellow lines
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:40 PM
    Gladstones court letter parking on double yellow lines 25th Aug 17 at 12:40 PM
    Hello,
    I have been reading though various forums and am looking for help.
    The driver received a fine from uk car park management for parking outside rented accommodation on double yellow lines back in January. This letter arrived at my house where the car is registered and also the keeper is on is on electrol roll. A picture was included that was taken from a house opposite the rented accommodation. The letters were ignored and stopped.
    Since then the driver has received letters from gladstones addressed to the rented accommodation, which the driver has also ignored. Now the driver has a county court claim form with 14 days to respond, 14th day being today. Yesterday requesting more time.
    They are claiming
    £166.25 (includes £6.25 interest)
    £25 court fees
    £50 representation cost
    £241.25 total
    Please can someone help? Do we need to pay or can we dispute?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Sb1971; 25-08-2017 at 2:21 PM.
Page 1
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 25th Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:54 PM
    OK first things - you NEVER identify the driver
    Edit your post NOW. Call the driver "the driver"

You've asked for more time, but not said when the claim form was issued. What was the date? You have 33 days from that date for the court to receive your printed, signed, scanned and PDF'd defence in an email. The DEFENDANT must be the person signing the defence.

What does your sons lease / rental agreemetn / AST say when it comes to parking and the existence of double yellows? I assume this was on private ground and not on the public highway?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 25th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 12:58 PM
    Hello,
    I have been reading though various forums and am looking for help.
    My son received a fine from uk car park management for parking outside his rented accommodation on double yellow lines back in January. This letter arrived at my house where his car is registered and also he is on electrol roll. A picture was included that was taken from a house opposite his rented accommodation. The letters were ignored and stopped.
    Since then he has received letters from gladstones addressed to his rented accommodation, which he has also ignored. Now he has a county court claim form which we responded to by requesting more time.
    They are claiming
    £166.25 (includes £6.25 interest)
    £25 court fees
    £50 representation cost
    £241.25 total
    Please can someone help? Do we need to pay or can we dispute?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by Sb1971
    When you say "it was taken from the house opposite" ?? are
    you saying a resident ?

The £166.25 is made up by a silly debt collector which is £60
    and does not count.

Are their signs around, what do they say and who is
    the parking company ?

Gladstones are incompetent solicitors and they will struggle
    to win a residential case plus the courts are fed up with Gladstones
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    • 50,012 Posts
    • 63,416 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    Read the NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread, top of the forum.

Show us the draft defence you put together after reading the example defences in post #2.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 6th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    We are not sure what the rental agreement says. The court letter was almost 2 weeks up which is why we applied for more time to get a deference together. And yes the double yellows are on a private road.
    • Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 6th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    The car park company is UK Car Park Management and the picture wasn't actually taken from a house it was taken from the roadside (my mistake). The signs have since been pulled down so we do not know what they said.
    • Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 6th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    Maybe I'm being silly but I cannot find a defense template
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 6th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 7,670 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    The car park company is UK Car Park Management and the picture wasn't actually taken from a house it was taken from the roadside (my mistake). The signs have since been pulled down so we do not know what they said.
    Go and take pictures of where the signs were
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 6th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    Maybe I'm being silly but I cannot find a defense template
    The word is 'defence'.

There is no defence template.

As advised in post#4 above, cobble together your own defence by using the many examples linked to in post#2 of the newbies thread.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 50,012 Posts
    • 63,416 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Did I say template?

Don't think so...and think about it...a rubbishy template defence can end in tears. We've seen some utter drivel defences provided as templates by *certain people* posted on forums, before now. Awful. Embarrassing - and hopeless.

But it really is easy enough once you read a few we did earlier, as I said:
    Show us the draft defence you put together after reading the example defences in post #2
    ...of the 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 7th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    I really do appreciate your continued responses, i have now read through no 2 posting on the newbies thread but cannot find and example relating to double yellow lines. I really am at a loss of how to put together a satisfactory defence. I think i may just have to go to court and ask if the charges are applicable the incident. Maybe this is the only way.
    Thank you for your assistance so far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14,537 Posts
    • 22,876 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    DYLs are irrelevant. The facts of your case are really no different to most other cases on here. Your vehicle has been parked somewhere or for longer than a private parking company's 'rules' permit.

DYLs are a total red herring - get them out of your head and deal with this the same way as 99% of other the cases we help with.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 7th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Lamilad
    The driver received a fine from uk car park management
    This is not a "fine" it is an invoice for (supposedly) parking services offered by a private company.

Since then the driver has received letters from gladstones addressed to the rented accommodation
    You mean "the keeper" has received letters? How could they possibly know who was driving? Presumabley the rented accommodation is where the vehicle is registered?

for parking outside rented accommodation on double yellow lines!
    What did the PCN/NTK actually state as the 'contravention'? I can't imagine it even mentioned yellows as they don't mean anything on private land. Did it just say that the driver had breached the T& C's?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 3:36 PM
    • 50,012 Posts
    • 63,416 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I expect it said 'parked in a restricted area' or 'without a permit'.

But that's not the point - the detail doesn't matter.

It's an ''own space'' defence so base yours on the clear example set out by Johnersh as one of the example defences, alter it to make sense, and show us the draft.

• Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 7th Sep 17, 9:50 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    The rented accommodation where the court summons was addressed to isn't actually the registered address of the vehicle or where the initial letter was sent.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 1,839 Thanks
    KeithP
    The rented accommodation where the court summons was addressed to isn't actually the registered address of the vehicle or where the initial letter was sent.
    So how did Gladstones get his rented address?

And what is the point you are trying to make?
    • Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 7th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    I have no idea how gladstones got the rented address. I am not trying to make any point just state the facts to obtain as much help as possible.
    • Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 7th Sep 17, 10:11 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    Thank you Couponmad for all your help, I will write a defence and post in the morning.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 50,012 Posts
    • 63,416 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    But presumably the car driver was either visiting or invited to be there, or staying there? Own space case then, but 'visitor of' the resident...or were they the resident at the rented accommodation?

Is the claim addressed to the keeper, or the driver, and how has the data changed, just the address or has the person they've been writing to, changed from keeper's name to driver? How?!

Maybe - did a debt collector send letters and have a phone conversation and put a bat up the nightdress of a scared family member who blabbed about who was driving and where they might be living?

• Sb1971
    • By Sb1971 8th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Sb1971
    Hello again,

To answer your questions:

The car driver was the resident at the rented accommodation but the vehicle is was registered elsewhere. I have no idea how Gladstones have found the rented accommodation address.

The claim is addressed to the keeper but not at the address where the vehicle is registered. We have no idea how the data has changed and have certainly not provided any information to debt collectors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin